Welcome to the Gundam Forums.

View Poll Results: What is your preferred method of painting?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Airbrush

5 71.43%
  • Paintbrush

2 28.57%
  • I don't paint my Gunpla

0 0%

Troubles with painting models!

Hey! I am new to this Forum and have started building Gunpla in the last year.

I recently purchased an airbrush with compressor and am using the Citadel paint for miniatures (which is acrylic I believe).
    My problem is that the paint is not sticking to the plastic of the model. I have tried different consistencies but I have a feeling I am getting it wrong. Are there any tips anyone has? Maybe it's the type of plastic I am painting? (Currently practicing the airbrush on the Gundam Astray Blue Frame D).
    I am using a Matt White Base Primer to start off, and have the pressure on my airbrush set to about 25psi.

Thanks in advance!!!

-Canadian Gunpla

Re: Troubles with painting models!

I don't use acrylics that often especially citadel paints. So idk if I can help. Let me ask you a few questions. Did you frist wash your model in soap water to remove any grease/oil from the kit? Second. Is the primer also coming off?

I did not wash the pieces. I was honestly wondering about that as something that would need to be done. The Primer is staying on very well though, some areas have come off but 98% of it is staying on really well! I was recommended Citadel paints because the guys at the hobby shop recommended it for the high pigment levels :P

This might be taboo, but I don't usually wash my kits unless they are resin. Not familiar with citadel paints, sounds like they might be over thinned. What psi are you running? And how close to the model are you when painting? Other things to consider is how humid the air is where you are painting. Hope this helps.
    WIP page : http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...rage-of-Gunpla

Completed kits
    http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...ed-quot-builds

"What about the reality where Hitler cured cancer, Morty? The answer is: Don't think about it."

The citadel paints are over priced, and dude did that to sell you them.
    "What do you mean it's OUT OF STOCK/BACK-ORDERED!?!?!"

If Newtypes can predict the future, and feel their opponents intentions, how come none of them were ever able to dodge the Bright Slap?

What primer did you use? What did you think the paint with and how much of it did you use? My personal experience with citadel is they are good for hand brushing and not great for airbrushing.
    War. War never changes.

All depends on how you build you kits. It all depends on how much you handled the piece. If you pre-built then take it apart for paint, then you probably handled the piece a lot and should wash it in soapy water. It also depends if you cut.shave nubs or sand. If you sand, then you should also wash. But your main problem is the paint. Don't use Citadel for airbrush.

What brand would you recommend? I did notice it was a lot of money for such a small container of paint, when at Michaels you can get a huge bottle for the same price. I just love the pigment Citadel offers so would want something close to that :P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Wiz33 View Post
    All depends on how you build you kits. It all depends on how much you handled the piece. If you pre-built then take it apart for paint, then you probably handled the piece a lot and should wash it in soapy water. It also depends if you cut.shave nubs or sand. If you sand, then you should also wash. But your main problem is the paint. Don't use Citadel for airbrush.
    What brand would you recommend? I would like something that has similar pigmentation but also isn't as expensive

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gunpla.newb View Post
    What primer did you use? What did you think the paint with and how much of it did you use? My personal experience with citadel is they are good for hand brushing and not great for airbrushing.
    I am using Army Painter base primer. It is Matt White. I would be very open to a better brand for airbrushing, but am looking for something with the variety that Citadel has as well as the deep pigmentation!

Stuck behind a damn desk now, finally off the road!!

One thing I noticed was the PSI you said you have been using 25! Do you have a siphon feed or a gravity feed AB? If you have a gravity feed you are using way to much PSI. I keep mine around 10 to 15 PSI depending on what I'm painting. That said I use acrylics all the time in fact almost exclusively. The thing with acrylics is the amount you try to put on at once. Try using a lower PSI and do light coats of paint. I know that the Gundam bug will bite you and you will want to get the full coverage all in one go, but with acrylics a little goes a long way. So build up to the level of color you want, one layer at a time. You don't have to let each layer "dry" between coats, just go over slowly and build it up with each layer.
    Now like others asked you how faraway or how close are you to the part when painting. The closer you get the less PSI you should use. Too much PSI and you will just blow the paint off the part. I normally stay about a hand width away or 5 to 6 inches, unless I'm doing a really small detailed part then I might get as close as 2 or 3 inches, but then I lower the PSI and I open the needle VERY little.

One last tip with acrylics. Keep a small bowl of water and some Q-tips handy. Your tip will dry out from the Air, just wet the Q-tip and carefully wipe the tip of the AB to keep it clean, but be gentle you don't want to damage the needle. So if you are painting and the paint starts to look blotchy or random "spots" start to appear, check the tip and clean it off.
    The dried paint will build upon itself and it will end up clogging the AB, and all that will do it ruin a good paint job as well as piss you off. (lessons learned the hard way. )

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Gunpla View Post
    What brand would you recommend? I did notice it was a lot of money for such a small container of paint, when at Michaels you can get a huge bottle for the same price. I just love the pigment Citadel offers so would want something close to that :P

- - - Updated - - -

What brand would you recommend? I would like something that has similar pigmentation but also isn't as expensive

- - - Updated - - -

I am using Army Painter base primer. It is Matt White. I would be very open to a better brand for airbrushing, but am looking for something with the variety that Citadel has as well as the deep pigmentation!
    I have a bunch of the paint from Michaels, it is god stuff. You just have to be careful with which one you are using. Stay away from the glitter, and metalics, the pigment is way to big and will glog in the AB. The normal colors work just great and you are right you can get 5 times as much paint for the price of one jar of Citadel. To thin them I use a mix of Windex and/or water, but don't use the "Windex" with ammonia in it.

I use Vallejo a lot, but they have their draw backs. I'm currently waiting for a shipment of Mission Paints.(A guy in my model club loves them. So I'm going to give them a try as well) When I get them I will let you know how well I like them. (I will do another test in my WIP, like I did for the acrylic metallics) The best thing I can tell you is that it is a personal taste type of thing. Just get a primary color of a brand and try it. Don't get a bunch of colors untill you know if you like it or not. If I see a "new to me" brand I just get a small battle of white or black and try it. After all if it is great you always need more white or black, but if they are not that great, then I try and see if they can mix in with other paints or worst case I'm out only a few $.

Well Primer is primer. I know there are "specialty " Primers out there but the primer is just a base for the main paint to hold on to , it gives grip to the slippery plastic. I use Krylon acrylic primer. I also use Vallejo primers but you can't sand those to well. The Krylon is a good primer the only thing with it is after you put it on you will have to wet sand it with something like a 600 or 800 grit paper, but the coverage is great and you can sand the hell out of it if you need to. Here is a link so you can see what I'm talking about. Now you can use it right out of the can, or DE-canter it. I do both depending on what I'm doing, but if yuo do DE-canter it only take out what you will use at that time. The stuff will dry out on you and then you just lost what ever you had out of the can. I linked the white, but it comes in grey, red, and black as well.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Krylon-Co...rimer/17211029

List of things to do today. 1. Get a sword. 2. Name it Kindness. 3 Kill people with Kindness.

My WIP: http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...816#post274816

My built stuff:http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...eys-Big-Garage

My Blog postings. https://gundammonkeysgarage.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by gundammonkey View Post
    One thing I noticed was the PSI you said you have been using 25! Do you have a siphon feed or a gravity feed AB? If you have a gravity feed you are using way to much PSI. I keep mine around 10 to 15 PSI depending on what I'm painting. That said I use acrylics all the time in fact almost exclusively. The thing with acrylics is the amount you try to put on at once. Try using a lower PSI and do light coats of paint. I know that the Gundam bug will bite you and you will want to get the full coverage all in one go, but with acrylics a little goes a long way. So build up to the level of color you want, one layer at a time. You don't have to let each layer "dry" between coats, just go over slowly and build it up with each layer.
    Now like others asked you how faraway or how close are you to the part when painting. The closer you get the less PSI you should use. Too much PSI and you will just blow the paint off the part. I normally stay about a hand width away or 5 to 6 inches, unless I'm doing a really small detailed part then I might get as close as 2 or 3 inches, but then I lower the PSI and I open the needle VERY little.

One last tip with acrylics. Keep a small bowl of water and some Q-tips handy. Your tip will dry out from the Air, just wet the Q-tip and carefully wipe the tip of the AB to keep it clean, but be gentle you don't want to damage the needle. So if you are painting and the paint starts to look blotchy or random "spots" start to appear, check the tip and clean it off.
    The dried paint will build upon itself and it will end up clogging the AB, and all that will do it ruin a good paint job as well as piss you off. (lessons learned the hard way. )

- - - Updated - - -

I have a bunch of the paint from Michaels, it is god stuff. You just have to be careful with which one you are using. Stay away from the glitter, and metalics, the pigment is way to big and will glog in the AB. The normal colors work just great and you are right you can get 5 times as much paint for the price of one jar of Citadel. To thin them I use a mix of Windex and/or water, but don't use the "Windex" with ammonia in it.

I use Vallejo a lot, but they have their draw backs. I'm currently waiting for a shipment of Mission Paints.(A guy in my model club loves them. So I'm going to give them a try as well) When I get them I will let you know how well I like them. (I will do another test in my WIP, like I did for the acrylic metallics) The best thing I can tell you is that it is a personal taste type of thing. Just get a primary color of a brand and try it. Don't get a bunch of colors untill you know if you like it or not. If I see a "new to me" brand I just get a small battle of white or black and try it. After all if it is great you always need more white or black, but if they are not that great, then I try and see if they can mix in with other paints or worst case I'm out only a few $.

Well Primer is primer. I know there are "specialty " Primers out there but the primer is just a base for the main paint to hold on to , it gives grip to the slippery plastic. I use Krylon acrylic primer. I also use Vallejo primers but you can't sand those to well. The Krylon is a good primer the only thing with it is after you put it on you will have to wet sand it with something like a 600 or 800 grit paper, but the coverage is great and you can sand the hell out of it if you need to. Here is a link so you can see what I'm talking about. Now you can use it right out of the can, or DE-canter it. I do both depending on what I'm doing, but if yuo do DE-canter it only take out what you will use at that time. The stuff will dry out on you and then you just lost what ever you had out of the can. I linked the white, but it comes in grey, red, and black as well.

Wow that is all very helpful! I gave your advice a shot, turned down my PSI and also closed the needle a little more. Also instead of just using water to thin the paint I added some Windex and all of those steps lead to success! The paint is sticking to the Primer now and it looks amazing! Much better than the original plastic pieces that it comes as. Is there a reason the Windex helps make it work? Also I am hoping to get very creative with my Gunpla and do some battle damage and scarring to the pieces, but those will be questions I will have in another forum! But I did notice in your build that you had some AMAZING weathering, and it looked very detailed and spot on, so maybe I could get some advice from you in PM's? Also I live in Canada and it is getting very cold out, so I have to Prime and Paint all in an enclosed room, have you ever used one of those small painting ventilation booths? I have no idea what they are called but would like to know how well they work before I drop 300 bucks lol.

Thanks a lot for the advice! It helped a lot and I am going to finish painting my blue pieces!

Thanks for the advice everyone! I have now got the paint sticking and it is looking good! Very excited to step up my game and make my Gunpla more unique!

I am excited to build more and be a part of this community.

-Canadian Gunpla

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by gundammonkey View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Did you end up getting my response? It was long and was awaiting approval by admin. But if needed I can retype it lol

Stuck behind a damn desk now, finally off the road!!

Yup it posted. As for the paint booth. DO NOT SPENT $300 ON ONE. They can be made at home so much cheaper and bigger. Or if you want one already built, Amazon has a bunch for a hell of a lot cheaper. I have one that I upgraded so that I can paint inside year round. I added another fan so that there is enough power/suction to pull all the fumes up and out the window. I'm in the north east so it can get a bit chilly, nothing like The great White North, Take off, hose head! (waits to see if I have just dated myself, or if the reference was understood. ) but a good bit chilly. I took a piece of ceiling insulation cut a hole just big enough for the vent hose to fit through and then I taped the holes in place. Then I taped the insulation in the window so now even with the window "Open" I can paint and all the fumes go outside and now cold or hot comes into the room. I will get a few pictures of the set up tomorrow and post them here.

Why dose the windex work, Got me. All I know is that is works. Something to do with chemicals.

Thank you for the compliment on some of my work. I'm still a nob at this. I just practice on old kits a lot before I do anything on a real kit. If I could show you the amount of F**k ups you would laugh at the way some of the stuff turned out. But that is why we try stuff out on old crap, and not on the new toys.

Feel free to PM about anything not a problem. I will be starting another round of Testing of a few more tricks I learned, but I will link them in my WIP to my Blog thingy. I think I will start a "Tester Blog" at the same site ware I post the Yamato Build now. (Speaking of witch I have to catch up on that WIP blog. I'm a bit behind.)

I figure I will have the time. All three of my Air brushes are going back to Badger, they need some work done to them and badger will fix them no charge,I just have to pay shipping both ways. so back they go. So I will be without the ability to paint for about a week and a half or so. And my Mission Model paints will be here Tuesday. Crap!!

List of things to do today. 1. Get a sword. 2. Name it Kindness. 3 Kill people with Kindness.

My WIP: http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...816#post274816

My built stuff:http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...eys-Big-Garage

My Blog postings. https://gundammonkeysgarage.wordpress.com/

I'll second what GM said about the ab booth. I built mine in 2007 from a base kitchen cabinet(was marked down) and a cheap range hood. I put a furnace filter between the two and just duct the air back into the cab. Works really well, and I use it year round.
    Last edited by Mr. JQ; October 9, 2017 at 2:15 PM. Reason: Autocorrect
    WIP page : http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...rage-of-Gunpla

Completed kits
    http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...ed-quot-builds

"What about the reality where Hitler cured cancer, Morty? The answer is: Don't think about it."