Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1

    Talking New Here, Looking for Tips

    Hello, I'm new to the hobby and just now am in a financial place to start doing kits. I started with one of my favorite Gundams, Gundam Deathscythe Hell Custom EW 1/100 MG. I got several recommendations and bought the Tamiya hobby nippers, anyone familiar with this model able to offer tips?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    The California Base
    Posts
    6,339

    Re: New Here, Looking for Tips

    While I haven't built the MG Deathscythe Hell Custom myself, I do know that wings are a tad glossy and the nub marks will definitely show up after you cut them off the plastic runners.
    "You see, there's no need to wonder where your god is. Because he's right here! And he's fresh out of mercy!"
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

    "Well, what good is being a god if you can't smite some people?"
    - Epsilon Church

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Silicone Valley
    Posts
    631

    Re: New Here, Looking for Tips

    Get a set of this (or something similar)

    https://www.amazon.com/Squadron-Prod...sanding+sticks

    Do you plan of painting or panel lining? Check out some of the tutorial video on Youtube.

  4. #4

    Re: New Here, Looking for Tips

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiz33 View Post
    Get a set of this (or something similar)

    https://www.amazon.com/Squadron-Prod...sanding+sticks

    Do you plan of painting or panel lining? Check out some of the tutorial video on Youtube.
    As I get more in to it, I plan to get some of the markers and such to customize them more personally. I'll probably get a generic Zaku for practice as they tend to run cheaper than say, sn Epyon.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Stuck behind a damn desk now, finally off the road!!
    Posts
    3,560

    Re: New Here, Looking for Tips

    Quote Originally Posted by Wiz33 View Post
    Get a set of this (or something similar)

    https://www.amazon.com/Squadron-Prod...sanding+sticks

    Do you plan of painting or panel lining? Check out some of the tutorial video on Youtube.
    The sanding sticks are a good thing to have. But no need to buy "name brand" you can go to any beauty shop and ask for the files. They come in grits from 100 all the way up to 12,000! Plus they are only about $1.50 a piece. I just get all they have once every couple months.

    Also DO NOT clip the part off the runner to close to the part, leave a little of the nub on the kit and sand up to the kit. This way you will not get the white stress marks from cutting into the plastic.



    List of things to do today. 1. Get a sword. 2. Name it Kindness. 3 Kill people with Kindness.

    My WIP: http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...816#post274816

    My built stuff:http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...eys-Big-Garage

  6. #6

    Re: New Here, Looking for Tips

    Quote Originally Posted by gundammonkey View Post
    The sanding sticks are a good thing to have. But no need to buy "name brand" you can go to any beauty shop and ask for the files. They come in grits from 100 all the way up to 12,000! Plus they are only about $1.50 a piece. I just get all they have once every couple months.

    Also DO NOT clip the part off the runner to close to the part, leave a little of the nub on the kit and sand up to the kit. This way you will not get the white stress marks from cutting into the plastic.
    Good to know, I also ordered some reverse action tweezers for decals, watched a video that made a great argument over regular tweezers.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Stuck behind a damn desk now, finally off the road!!
    Posts
    3,560

    Re: New Here, Looking for Tips

    Those are great to have. They have so many other uses beyond decals. I have a few different ones from blunt to pointy. They help when painting super things like the figures or Gundam eyes.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Also if you go to the first topic on this thread board "Modification/scratch building." look up post 133. I show how to make a nice set of files for making panels and new scribe / panel lines.



    List of things to do today. 1. Get a sword. 2. Name it Kindness. 3 Kill people with Kindness.

    My WIP: http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...816#post274816

    My built stuff:http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...eys-Big-Garage

  8. #8

    Re: New Here, Looking for Tips

    Quote Originally Posted by gundammonkey View Post
    Those are great to have. They have so many other uses beyond decals. I have a few different ones from blunt to pointy. They help when painting super things like the figures or Gundam eyes.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Also if you go to the first topic on this thread board "Modification/scratch building." look up post 133. I show how to make a nice set of files for making panels and new scribe / panel lines.
    I'll check that out then when I start doing custom work, do you build your own sets for them or just use bases?


 

Similar Threads

  1. New(ish) to the Fandom, Here for Tips and Guidance!
    By BioBlade in forum Member Introductions
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: March 25, 2015, 1:51 AM
  2. Resin tips
    By jlara96 in forum Modeling How-To, Tips, and Tricks.
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: June 3, 2012, 4:46 AM
  3. Tips on doing an acrylic wash please.
    By WING ZERO in forum Modeling How-To, Tips, and Tricks.
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: April 13, 2012, 10:06 PM
  4. Anyone use the Aztek deluxe pro airbrush? tips on cleaning the interchangeable tips?
    By WING ZERO in forum Modeling How-To, Tips, and Tricks.
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 21, 2012, 7:11 AM
  5. First gundam model tips
    By qiqi in forum Modeling How-To, Tips, and Tricks.
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: December 31, 2011, 3:53 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •