Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A bit about myself and first project

Hi, I'm Adrian Guardia, I've known about Gundam Models since I was in sixth grade. My first model was from Gundam X. The first American model was Wing Zero. I basically build anything that looks cool. But with Gundam Models practically stopped being shipped in American Stores, there was a large lull of Gundam building. Then when I saw some Gundam Models at Barnes and Noble, I got back into building them.

Now however, Barnes & Noble focuses on selling Dragon Ball Z and Star Wars Models (neither of which I'm a fan of), and Gundam Models they sell online are those that I already have, or don't wish to collect. I try to aim for MG models, unless the particular models are only for HG, like the Build Fighter models.

Now I have have done some custom models (of legos), but I want to work on a few projects that focus on combining at least two different models. My first one is called Project Einhander, and the inspiration does come from the same name and ideas as from the Squaresoft (now Square Enix) game Einhander. I'm thinking of combining the body of the HG Sinanju with the HG Full Armor Gundam Thunderbolt. But I'd like to know if I can place the backpack of the Full Armor with the body of the Sinanju. Does it have the right plugs to work together, or do they not work together?

Please let me know, because if it doesn't then I will save my money for another project.

Thank you all in advance.

Re: A bit about myself and first project

Look on dalong.net

I'm looking at the website you provided, but what am I supposed to look at?

Click on the hg on the top of the page. If you click English menu on the left it will translate Korean to English. The click on the hg sinanja and full armor Gundam names and it will bring up images of the manuals and parts for the kits.

Okay, I think I know what you are trying to say, but I still must ask the question: Are these parts compatible with one another? Right now I'm starting to think that they aren't able to go together, but someone else might say that it is possible.

Probably not. If you look at the photos you should be able to tell.

Yeah, I was afraid of that. But I'm not going to give up yet.

I noticed there was a tab underneath the pegs. If I were to cut that off, would it fit on the Sinanju then? And if not, can you recommend a way for me to attach the Full Armor Backpack onto the Sinanju? Of if it absolutely will not work on it, can you recommend a different Zeon-like Mobile Suit to attach the backpack to?

You could get something like the bolen arms pack and build a custom connection

Sent from my LGL22C using Tapatalk

Well unfortunately, this forum is not giving me the answers I need. I will try again in another part and try my luck. Despite my frustrations, I thank all who managed to respond.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, so I said one thing, and am doing another. But I just had a thought that just might work.

I found a model that has some small adapters from the Build Burning Gundam line. I am hoping that these small parts can use the pegs to fill in the Sinanju, and then use the holes in the middle of the pieces to fit the backpack. Will this process work, or am I just filling myself up with hope only to let myself down yet again? And if not these parts, is there something from Build Fighters that might work just as well?

The short answer to both your original and second question is yes and no. The parts you want to combine are (most likely) not compatible with each other, but you can always modify or add to either model to create a connection point.

If you are dead set on the HG Sinanju/Thunderbolt crossover, I'd recommend buying the kits, building them, and then looking at how the parts you want to combine fit and function on the original model. Then you can figure out a way to get what you want. You might just need to create a whole for a peg, or create a slot for a rail.

It really depends on how much 'work' you want to put into it. If you are just looking for an off-the-shelf solution, it probably doesn't exist, but if your willing to work with polystyrene sheets, putty, glue, etc then you can literally build/modify/do whatever you want.

edit: after going through the scratch building thread on the modeling section of the forums, I came across this and thought it might interest you - http://funakatown.com/images/Funakas...chbuilding.pdf
    Last edited by Halzman; September 5, 2017 at 9:04 PM.

No they are not compatible. Most gunpla are not directly compatible. You can make anything that you want with a little work. Buy the two kits and build them. Now take the sinanju torso and go to the local hobby stop and buy some plastic styrene tubing that will fit into the hole in the sinanja back and a set of drill bits with a bit that is the same size as the tubing. Now once your home tape the fa Gundam backpack onto the sinanju to get a idea of where it should sit. Then remove the backpack and grab a pencil and ruler. Measure center top to bottom left to right on the backpack where the 3 holes are. This will make a X. Take the drill bit and drill a hole in the center of the x. Now take a piece of the tubing and insert it into the back then attach it to the sinanju.

Excellent advice! Conversion projects like this are where Gunpla goes from being "snap together robot toys" to the realm of actual modeling. I have more experience at modeling than I do with Gundams, so I'm coming at this from the opposite direction as young Adrian. Kudos to those, like yourself, who pass on old school techniques to newer modelers!
    Why do I prefer combat over social events? Simple: in combat, if you don't know what to do, you can always open fire. That tends to be frowned upon in social events.

Thank you for the advice. I have recently ordered the two Gundam models.

Sinanju should be in next week, and Thunderbolt will arrive before October 11.

Please stand-by.

A bit of an update; good news and bad news:

Good news, the Sinanju has arrived in the mail. I'm excited about that.

Bad news, the person I ordered the Full Armor Gundam from, told me he miscounted and is out of stock (it happens to the best of us). I'm considering waiting until he restocks (it's in Japan) as it was at a cheap price of $29.99 with free shipping. I saw one on Ebay in Waco, Texas, but including s&h; the total is $42.00

I just bought the Full Armor Gundam from a seller in San Antonio, and it should be in my mailbox sometime this week. With all the parts in place, I shall build the backpack, and then I will need to figure out how to paint the Sinanju. I'm thinking of spraypainting all the red parts with a gray color. I have never painted a model before, and all I'm really painting is just the body parts so I get the color I want. I intend to ask some people around home about how to paint the model. I was thinking of spray paint because it would be faster and easier (again, I have never done stuff like this before). Some tips on painting? Even if its (not) spray paint?
    Last edited by Adrian Guardia; September 17, 2017 at 4:20 PM. Reason: update

When it comes to painting your model(s), you basically have 3 options: hand painting by brush, using spray cans, and using an airbrush. There are also 3 major types of paint: acrylic, lacquers, and enamels. The last two require extra care. Check out this page for a pretty good rundown on it all - http://www.scalemodelguide.com/paint...e/paint-types/

You can absolutely use spray cans for painting - just make sure whatever you get for the paint and topcoat is compatible (sometimes you get weird effects from different chemicals interacting with each other).

Generally the following order is followed for painting a kit: primer coat, base coat, top coat, decals, top coat. So in your case, you can literally spray paint whichever parts with a grey primer, let that dry, and then spray a top coat over it. Although, keep in mind that a spray can lets out a lot of paint quickly, so you'll have to make sure you keep some distance and lightly coat the parts, gradually building up the layers (this will prevent pooling of the paint and nasty runs). The only difference between a spray can and an airbrush is control over paint and air flow rate.

Well, I've built the backpack; and I've also spray-painted the parts that I needed to paint.

Sorry I didn't read your instructions Halzman, but I went with my mom and neighbor's advice for spray painting. I didn't use primer (which probably won't look professional, but the last time I spray painted was in high-school (when I was 17)), but they said that I didn't need it. And I don't have a top coat. But to be honest, this is my first use of spray paint on a plastic model, so I imagine it won't be as good as other painter projects. So maybe when I do a third project (which I'm still planning, the second project involves the Grimgerde and Wing Gundam Zero Custom), I'll try the more expensive project look. But for now, I'm keeping things simple. May not be absolutely perfect, but I will hopefully be satisfied.

Now I just have to build the body, and then glue the two pieces together.