Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 41 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3136373839404142 LastLast

Re: A bit about myself and first project

Well unfortunately, this forum is not giving me the answers I need. I will try again in another part and try my luck. Despite my frustrations, I thank all who managed to respond.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, so I said one thing, and am doing another. But I just had a thought that just might work.

I found a model that has some small adapters from the Build Burning Gundam line. I am hoping that these small parts can use the pegs to fill in the Sinanju, and then use the holes in the middle of the pieces to fit the backpack. Will this process work, or am I just filling myself up with hope only to let myself down yet again? And if not these parts, is there something from Build Fighters that might work just as well?

The short answer to both your original and second question is yes and no. The parts you want to combine are (most likely) not compatible with each other, but you can always modify or add to either model to create a connection point.

If you are dead set on the HG Sinanju/Thunderbolt crossover, I'd recommend buying the kits, building them, and then looking at how the parts you want to combine fit and function on the original model. Then you can figure out a way to get what you want. You might just need to create a whole for a peg, or create a slot for a rail.

It really depends on how much 'work' you want to put into it. If you are just looking for an off-the-shelf solution, it probably doesn't exist, but if your willing to work with polystyrene sheets, putty, glue, etc then you can literally build/modify/do whatever you want.

edit: after going through the scratch building thread on the modeling section of the forums, I came across this and thought it might interest you - http://funakatown.com/images/Funakas...chbuilding.pdf
    Last edited by Halzman; September 5, 2017 at 9:04 PM.

No they are not compatible. Most gunpla are not directly compatible. You can make anything that you want with a little work. Buy the two kits and build them. Now take the sinanju torso and go to the local hobby stop and buy some plastic styrene tubing that will fit into the hole in the sinanja back and a set of drill bits with a bit that is the same size as the tubing. Now once your home tape the fa Gundam backpack onto the sinanju to get a idea of where it should sit. Then remove the backpack and grab a pencil and ruler. Measure center top to bottom left to right on the backpack where the 3 holes are. This will make a X. Take the drill bit and drill a hole in the center of the x. Now take a piece of the tubing and insert it into the back then attach it to the sinanju.

Excellent advice! Conversion projects like this are where Gunpla goes from being "snap together robot toys" to the realm of actual modeling. I have more experience at modeling than I do with Gundams, so I'm coming at this from the opposite direction as young Adrian. Kudos to those, like yourself, who pass on old school techniques to newer modelers!
    Why do I prefer combat over social events? Simple: in combat, if you don't know what to do, you can always open fire. That tends to be frowned upon in social events.

Thank you for the advice. I have recently ordered the two Gundam models.

Sinanju should be in next week, and Thunderbolt will arrive before October 11.

Please stand-by.

A bit of an update; good news and bad news:

Good news, the Sinanju has arrived in the mail. I'm excited about that.

Bad news, the person I ordered the Full Armor Gundam from, told me he miscounted and is out of stock (it happens to the best of us). I'm considering waiting until he restocks (it's in Japan) as it was at a cheap price of $29.99 with free shipping. I saw one on Ebay in Waco, Texas, but including s&h; the total is $42.00

I just bought the Full Armor Gundam from a seller in San Antonio, and it should be in my mailbox sometime this week. With all the parts in place, I shall build the backpack, and then I will need to figure out how to paint the Sinanju. I'm thinking of spraypainting all the red parts with a gray color. I have never painted a model before, and all I'm really painting is just the body parts so I get the color I want. I intend to ask some people around home about how to paint the model. I was thinking of spray paint because it would be faster and easier (again, I have never done stuff like this before). Some tips on painting? Even if its (not) spray paint?
    Last edited by Adrian Guardia; September 17, 2017 at 4:20 PM. Reason: update

When it comes to painting your model(s), you basically have 3 options: hand painting by brush, using spray cans, and using an airbrush. There are also 3 major types of paint: acrylic, lacquers, and enamels. The last two require extra care. Check out this page for a pretty good rundown on it all - http://www.scalemodelguide.com/paint...e/paint-types/

You can absolutely use spray cans for painting - just make sure whatever you get for the paint and topcoat is compatible (sometimes you get weird effects from different chemicals interacting with each other).

Generally the following order is followed for painting a kit: primer coat, base coat, top coat, decals, top coat. So in your case, you can literally spray paint whichever parts with a grey primer, let that dry, and then spray a top coat over it. Although, keep in mind that a spray can lets out a lot of paint quickly, so you'll have to make sure you keep some distance and lightly coat the parts, gradually building up the layers (this will prevent pooling of the paint and nasty runs). The only difference between a spray can and an airbrush is control over paint and air flow rate.

Well, I've built the backpack; and I've also spray-painted the parts that I needed to paint.

Sorry I didn't read your instructions Halzman, but I went with my mom and neighbor's advice for spray painting. I didn't use primer (which probably won't look professional, but the last time I spray painted was in high-school (when I was 17)), but they said that I didn't need it. And I don't have a top coat. But to be honest, this is my first use of spray paint on a plastic model, so I imagine it won't be as good as other painter projects. So maybe when I do a third project (which I'm still planning, the second project involves the Grimgerde and Wing Gundam Zero Custom), I'll try the more expensive project look. But for now, I'm keeping things simple. May not be absolutely perfect, but I will hopefully be satisfied.

Now I just have to build the body, and then glue the two pieces together.

I mean, you can certainly not use primer - primer just helps create a layer that is guaranteed to help your main paint coat stick to the model. If you took/take your time with applying light coats of paint, you can get a smooth finish. And again with the top coat, while not necessary, it basically serves as a protective layer to the paint. You can do without it, but you may be chipping off the paint faster then you would like from simple scratches, that a topcoat would of protected against.

My family and neighbors think that I should use modeling clay to stick the two parts on, and I'm incline to agree with them. I think during this weekend, depending on how busy my family is; I'll try to head to Hobby Lobby or Michaels to get the clay. Can anyone recommend a good product that's easy to afford and can work efficiently? I'd like to get other people's opinions.

Thankfully I have a base that can support the model already.

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Guardia View Post
    My family and neighbors think that I should use modeling clay to stick the two parts on, and I'm incline to agree with them. I think during this weekend, depending on how busy my family is; I'll try to head to Hobby Lobby or Michaels to get the clay. Can anyone recommend a good product that's easy to afford and can work efficiently? I'd like to get other people's opinions.

Thankfully I have a base that can support the model already.
    Can you clarify what you mean by "stick the two parts on"? If your trying to sick a part on your model temporary just to see how it looks the buy some blue tac (poster tack). It's used to attach poster to walls without putting holes in walls. I would not us sculptures clay. From my experience some brands of sculptures clay can damage the plastic of the kit.

Okay, I am attaching the backpack of the Thunderbolt model to a Sinanju; permanently. Now I know that the parts are incompatible, due to the sloping back of the Sinanju and the one surface part on the backpack is a small flat rectangle with small plugs meant for that Gundam. Someone recommended possibly drilling the two parts together, but I'm not that confident in my skills (this is the first time kitbashing like this, and I'm a complete amateur).

I do want to thank Rxslinger for the advice of not using sculpters clay, at least hearing that narrows the list down of what to look for.

Looking back on another person who helped me get this project going suggested to also use glue, and maybe use modeling clay as well. As I had originally thought these had nubs/pegs to attach together, he had suggested filing them down. Well I found out that wasn't really the case; both requires plugs going into the back and the backpack (in on Sinanju and in on the backpack, if that makes sense to you guys).

I am literally almost done with the project, I just need a way to put these assembled parts together, and then have a stand that will hold them up together.
    Last edited by Adrian Guardia; October 12, 2017 at 5:36 PM.

So youre trying to attach a female piece to a female piece? If So you could make something out of runners do you have pictures of the parts?

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

Pictures would be very helpful, if you could please
    WIP page : http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...rage-of-Gunpla

Completed kits
    http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...ed-quot-builds

"What about the reality where Hitler cured cancer, Morty? The answer is: Don't think about it."

Quote Originally Posted by Daltrons-counter-attack View Post
    So youre trying to attach a female piece to a female piece? If So you could make something out of runners do you have pictures of the parts?

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk
    I don't have any pictures yet, but I can take some after I charge the battery. It may be a while before I send them, they should be up by tomorrow.

Both models have been assembled, but I can show you where I need expert advise.

I talked with someone who used to assemble various models at Hobby Lobby, and he recommended I use the clay called Green Stuff that Gamers Workshop sells. I remember that a long time ago I did use that kind of clay and thought that it could solve my problem.
    P1010112.jpg P1010113.jpg
    These are the pictures I just submitted involving the back of Sinanju and the backpack of Gundam Thunderbolt.
    Last edited by Adrian Guardia; October 16, 2017 at 8:27 PM. Reason: added pictures

Um, hello? Is anyone there? Sorry for acting impatient, but I would like to hear if using Green Stuff from Games Workshop will work on holding the two parts together in place forever.