Welcome to the Gundam Forums.

Specific Gunpla detail question

I posted this in the scratch build thread but no answer hopefully someone sees it over here. I want to do the type of detailing seen in the pics below, where little red tabs are added into recesses for detail. I have an idea of how to do it from looking at the pic, but a tutorial or advice from someone that does it would be awesome.

051.jpg

Super Moderator

Re: Specific Gunpla detail question

Chisel out the indented area. Then glue in the detail part, in this case a square piece of styrene.

https://www.facebook.com/Squeesworkbench

Please do not pm me with questions on how to do something hobby related. Just ask in a related thread.

I figured that but I'm not sure which sizes of styrene rod to order

Buy styrene the same size as the chisel and smaller than the chisel you are going to use. Then trim the styrene if needed.

I know it'll have to be the same size/smaller than the chisel, but I'm not sure what size pack of styrene to order for 1/144 + 1/100 kits, i was hoping someone thats done this before could let me know what sizes they use, they come in square shape or rectangular and its hard to know what width will look good, and what height the styrene should be to stick out from the chiseled area but not look too high, i was thinking maybe 0.7mm(width)x0.5mm(height), but hearing from someone that uses it would be best

Quote Originally Posted by Jay View Post
    I know it'll have to be the same size/smaller than the chisel, but I'm not sure what size pack of styrene to order for 1/144 + 1/100 kits, i was hoping someone thats done this before could let me know what sizes they use, they come in square shape or rectangular and its hard to know what width will look good, and what height the styrene should be to stick out from the chiseled area but not look too high, i was thinking maybe 0.7mm(width)x0.5mm(height), but hearing from someone that uses it would be best
    It really comes down to person preference. I can can tell you what I would do but you may not like the results. I can tell you how thick of styrene to buy Because there's no way to gauge how deep your scribing. You could go too deep and on side my have the styrene sticking up 2mm and 3mm on the opposite. Honestly I can't even tell you which chisel to use because again it all comes down to what looks go to you. Later when I get home from work I'll look in some of my books and see what they recommend for this so you can have a starting point on what you should start buying

Stuck behind a damn desk now, finally off the road!!

Jay I also notice that you keep talking about styrene "Rods"if I were you I would use the flat sheets. I have some rods hollow and solid but they would not do very well for this application. I have styrene sheets from super paper thin all the way up to a couple mm thick. (I don't have a clue what mm they all are I don't have the wrapper anymore) But with the sheets you can cut one piece and use it to cut the other and have two identical parts. Then you can mark them and chisel down a tiny bit at a time until you reach the desired depth and glue the parts in place.

List of things to do today. 1. Get a sword. 2. Name it Kindness. 3 Kill people with Kindness.

My WIP: http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...816#post274816

My built stuff:http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...eys-Big-Garage