Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    Fogging on plastic

    So, I was painting the seam lines on a chest piece of the Zeta II. I was using paint thinner to clear away the extra on the piece, but after the thinner was cleaned or dried away. it left what looks like a fog over the plastic. Anyone know how to deal with this?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    California base.
    Posts
    932

    Re: Fogging on plastic

    Quote Originally Posted by SenileSun View Post
    So, I was painting the seam lines on a chest piece of the Zeta II. I was using paint thinner to clear away the extra on the piece, but after the thinner was cleaned or dried away. it left what looks like a fog over the plastic. Anyone know how to deal with this?
    A picture word help if you have one.

  3. #3

    Re: Fogging on plastic

    I tried to take a picture when I posted the thread, but the camera can't pic up alot of the fogging
    SAM_0172.jpg

  4. #4
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    5,345

    Re: Fogging on plastic

    Looks like the thinner affected the plastic. What kind of paint, what kind of thinner?


    https://www.facebook.com/Squeesworkbench

    Please do not pm me with questions on how to do something hobby related. Just ask in a related thread.

  5. #5

    Re: Fogging on plastic

    Quote Originally Posted by Squee View Post
    Looks like the thinner affected the plastic. What kind of paint, what kind of thinner?
    testors enamel thinner and brush cleaner, my thing is is that I've used it on the other parts and had no problem.

  6. #6

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Fort wayne, Indiana
    Posts
    75

    Re: Fogging on plastic

    Have you tried washing it? Or even use a cloth to try to buff it out?

  8. #8
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    5,345

    Re: Fogging on plastic

    You're putting straight enamel thinner on plastic. Enamel thinner is known to weaken plastic. That's most likely a reaction to it. Try using masking tape for your edges. Or use lighter fluid instead for clean up. Lighter fluid will remove enamel, but evaporates very fast so it doesn't sit on the plastic/damaging it.


    https://www.facebook.com/Squeesworkbench

    Please do not pm me with questions on how to do something hobby related. Just ask in a related thread.

  9. #9

    Re: Fogging on plastic

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JQ View Post
    Have you tried washing it? Or even use a cloth to try to buff it out?
    I'll try buffing it

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Squee View Post
    You're putting straight enamel thinner on plastic. Enamel thinner is known to weaken plastic. That's most likely a reaction to it. Try using masking tape for your edges. Or use lighter fluid instead for clean up. Lighter fluid will remove enamel, but evaporates very fast so it doesn't sit on the plastic/damaging it.
    I don't think it was the plastic that was affected, but the "shiny" top coat on it( no I did not paint it before). Anyway, buffing it out worked

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    texas
    Posts
    33

    Re: Fogging on plastic

    i'm not an expert , but i do remember from a bunch of youtubers thinners are actually harmful to plastics; it can weaken the plastic and/or make the surface look weird...in your case foggy. i guess buffing it out is your only option.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Gundanium Plastic
    By Gundam_Asgard in forum The Gundam Universe
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: January 4, 2015, 11:39 PM
  2. How do I fix worn plastic on plastic joints?
    By NoZaku in forum Modeling How-To, Tips, and Tricks.
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: November 15, 2014, 4:12 PM
  3. Plastic discoloration problem
    By lolisamu in forum Modeling How-To, Tips, and Tricks.
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: October 19, 2014, 11:52 PM
  4. Testors Plastic Cement
    By ErnDaFern in forum Modeling How-To, Tips, and Tricks.
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: August 13, 2014, 7:21 AM
  5. 1/100 MG GM III Plastic Conversion Kit
    By JOHNNY RIDDEN in forum Works-In-Progress
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: July 24, 2013, 10:43 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •