Welcome to the Gundam Forums.

Greetings from Japan

Hi all~
    After watching a bunch of Gundam Youtube videos, I want to get into this hobby. Anyone with any suggestions on where to start for a beginner? I want to stick with modeling (maybe something small and easy for a beginner) and eventually move on to painting.

I would really appreciate it if anyone can point me to recommended tools and Gundam kit to purchase. Thank you!

Re: Greetings from Japan

First off, welcome to our site. Secondly, if you're just starting out I'd recommend a High Grade model kit (can't help with specifics as that is up to personal choice). Finally, get a pair of plastic cutters and an Xacto knife as tools to start out with.
    "You see, there's no need to wonder where your god is. Because he's right here! And he's fresh out of mercy!"
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

"Well, what good is being a god if you can't smite some people?"
    - Epsilon Church

Hello Zeta,
    Thank you! I'll look into purchasing HG model kit first. Also, stupid question but do I need glues as well?

Stuck behind a damn desk now, finally off the road!!

Nope! No glue is needed my friend. You might also want some sand paper fine grit like 320 up to 1000 grit that will help get rid of those horrible nub marks. Fine grit sandpaper you should be able to find in an auto parts store with the body work stuff.

Welcome to the forms. Take a look at the help threads they have all kinds of helpful stuff in them.

Glad to have another new person on board. But I would feel like I wasn't being honest with you if I didn't tell you that all the cool kids build ZAKUS.

List of things to do today. 1. Get a sword. 2. Name it Kindness. 3 Kill people with Kindness.

My WIP: http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...816#post274816

My built stuff:http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...eys-Big-Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gundammonkey View Post

Glad to have another new person on board. But I would feel like I wasn't being honest with you if I didn't tell you that all the cool kids build ZAKUS.
    Crap, that means I'm not cool enough, I haven't built a single zaku yet! I do have the Zaku Amazing chilling in my backlog though...

That aside, welcome to the forums and to the hobby!
    I collect: High Grade, SD, Transformers , Figma, Nendoroid, SH Figuarts

"I eat, watch movies, and sleep! A TRUE MAN NEEDS NOTHING ELSE!"
    Genjuro Kazanari
    Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/kotori_sonoda/

Meds to the left, straight jackets to the right, and welcome to the nuthouse.

I started doing this a little over a year ago and it's really easy to build any of the HG's, I'd say start with a MK-II or a Zaku. Pick up a pair of nippers, some sandpaper as Monkey suggested and you'll do great, also it's okay to accidentally nick and clip a little too much when starting out, so don't worry, AND don't worry about doing any customizing right out of the gate, take your time, learn your own curve and go from there. It' get more fun as you go along the more you challenge yourself. There are plenty of people here who have done almost every aspect of building these, so you've got a wealth of knowledge...some of it crazy, but useful none the less.
    "Pssssssst...Hey you...yeah you...No, THE OTHER you, yeah, YOU, see that person sitting next to you...yeah, that one right there, light them on fire."

"Cover me, I'm going stupid."

"I've seen Hockey games where boxing breaks out, I want to go to a boxing match and watch Hockey break out."

"My Gunpla work style is best described as the Hold my Beer and Watch This method."

Welcome! Glad to have ya!

Every one knows that Zakus are for posers. I recommend any variant of the GM.

(Feddie for life!! )
    Oh well. What ever happens, happens.

What ever you're looking for, it's always in the last place you look.

I received my package today. Thanks guys for all the recommendations. I purchased the High-Grade model kit. I'll start posting on another thread about my progress!

P_20170415_210347.jpg

Stuck behind a damn desk now, finally off the road!!

Great news! Wait....... That doesn't look at all like a Zaku?!!?. Just giving you a hard time . Hope you have fun building and welcome to the life sucking hobby. You are now one of us.

List of things to do today. 1. Get a sword. 2. Name it Kindness. 3 Kill people with Kindness.

My WIP: http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...816#post274816

My built stuff:http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...eys-Big-Garage

He's got the right idea one of the 72 daemons Damm strait

see you later spacecowboy

Welcome, I would suggest starting on SD kits , they are easy to work on and gives you the basics.

Welcome to the forums and a pretty neat hobby, I envy you if you're in Japan haha

I like how it all looks like it came in a little package. I really wish I just ordered everything I wanted from a credible place instead of wandering all over the damn province (I'm Canadian) for my tools and kits.