Welcome to the Gundam Forums.

Classic Mech: Bandai's Schwalg (from Dragonar) out of box review

While I don’t get as many of them built and posted as I’d like to, one of my favourite types of kit is a mech kit. I grew up in the ‘80s loving Tranformers and Robotech, and have, since then, been a big ‘robot junkie’. Normally, the robots I build are Gundams, but I have a few others from different series as well.

One series I was both thrilled to find that I could still get kits from was the planned successor to the Gundam franchise – Metal Armor Dragonar. I got what amounts to the whole set a while ago, and I thought it would be fun to take a look inside one and see what an old-skool mech was like.

The Dragonar kits are surprisingly nice for their age, and are much better than Gundam kits of the same era, actually! Check out the first of my Dragonars; the half-plane, half-humanoid (but not a Gerwalk/Guardian) Schwalg!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/mod...2-schwalg-oob/

Re: Classic Mech: Bandai's Schwalg (from Dragonar) out of box review

Thanks for sharing that, looks a great fun it to build and paint.

I think this is going to be a good kit. It's simple enough to be fun, but it's good enough not to be a royal pain the kiester! Some of the Z and ZZ Gundam kits from around this time are not very good, but this one looks surprisingly quite a bit better! I also like it that it's a bit different, being a half-plane that's not a Gerwalk!

Stuck behind a damn desk now, finally off the road!!

I followed your thread and saw the story line of the anime that I never knew of. It seams like it could be a good watch. I did notice that all of the suits in that show are all half plane almost like they had the idea for a half-plane mech then said F**K it and made them ALL half-planes.

List of things to do today. 1. Get a sword. 2. Name it Kindness. 3 Kill people with Kindness.

My WIP: http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...816#post274816

My built stuff:http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...eys-Big-Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gundammonkey View Post
    I followed your thread and saw the story line of the anime that I never knew of. It seams like it could be a good watch. I did notice that all of the suits in that show are all half plane almost like they had the idea for a half-plane mech then said F**K it and made them ALL half-planes.
    I enjoyed Dragonar a lot. Sure, it's terribly derivative, and the fansub I've seen isn't the easiest to read, but it's a forgotten gem. Waaaay better than Layzer, that I wanted to see forever and then found disappointing. The intro to Dragonar has some of the sweetest mid-late '80's over-technical animation I've ever seen. That's my favourite style, like in Dancougar.

A lot of the mecha are actually not "half planes" but are wearing what's called a "lifter", i.e. a flight pack. It's very similar to the flight packs in Seed/Seed Destiny. In fact, I think the main mech designer might be the same guy! (I forget his name, though. What a maroon I am!) What's old is new again, it seems.

I think Dragonar should have been brought over here by someone, at some point. It's a shame it never made it. It's like Ninja Robots Tobikage; also largely forgotten, or not known. The difference is it got a horrible dub (and lamely re-written theme song - so terrible) much later in life. Maybe it's better that Dragonar stay undiscovered after all...

Kunio Okawara designed the mechs in Dragonar. The first op though is Masami Obari's work. I so need to get a D-1 Damashii at somepoint.

You can sure tell it's Okawara's work. Look at Layzner, Vifam, Votoms and Dragonar, not to mention Gundam Seed Destiny and F-91. So many mecha there have the same curve to the bottom of the lower leg, as well as the tendency of many of them (not so much in Votoms) to use flight packs and winged backpacks of all kinds. Good design skills and sensibility... No wonder I liked it so much!