Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Gunpla.newb WIP

Finished with my GM sniper II. Here he is all detailed and top coated. What a fun kit! I hope this hasn't set too high of a bar for the master grade line for me.
    War. War never changes.

Starting on an HG shiden now for a build off with some guys on Instagram. It's only a week long build so that's a little stressful since it'll be my first painted kit. Here he is all snapped.
    War. War never changes.

Got the inner frame of the shiden primed last night. This was my first experience ever using an airbrush and I thought it went really well. I was super nervous to mess it all up as there are kind of a lot of variables but everything went smooth. I've been watching and reading tutorials for weeks and it really helped. I went with mr surfacer 1200 mixed with mr leveling thinner at about a 60/40 mix of thinner to paint. My psi was set at about 15 psi and I did 2 coats with the first one being pretty light.

A couple of things I noticed about airbrushing is it's actually quite a bit more forgiving than spray cans. Spray cans can get really messy really quick. Also because you almost need to use spray cans outside, and me living in a very humid climate, weather can have a big affect on my finished product. Another I realized is just how little paint you use. I used 1ml of paint and had extra left in my cup when I was done. I used the cheaper master AB instead of my Iwata because it has a bigger .5mm needle. I figured that would make coverage a little easier. I was pleasantly surprised with how well it worked. Not bad for something I basically got for free with my compressor.

On some of the tutorials I read and watched I heard people having problems with the mr surfacer coming out kind of rough but I didn't have any issues. It laid down nice and flat for me. I did notice how much primer points out your mistakes. For future kits I'm going to have to spend even more time on nub marks and sanding small imperfections before paint.
    War. War never changes.

Stuck behind a damn desk now, finally off the road!!

Re: Gunpla.newb WIP

Great glad to hear that you are having success with your AB! The more you use it the easier it will becomes and the better you will get.
    Now about this week long build off. WOW it sometimes takes me a week just to find time to just get some masking done! Good luck!

List of things to do today. 1. Get a sword. 2. Name it Kindness. 3 Kill people with Kindness.

My WIP: http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...816#post274816

My built stuff:http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...eys-Big-Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gundammonkey View Post
    Great glad to hear that you are having success with your AB! The more you use it the easier it will becomes and the better you will get.
    Now about this week long build off. WOW it sometimes takes me a week just to find time to just get some masking done! Good luck!
    Haha right! I have a wife and kid and 40 he week job. It takes me a week to snap an HG! That's why I picked the shiden it's pretty simple.
    War. War never changes.

Continuing to snap my Hy-gogg. Got most of it done except the one leg and the hand missiles. I'm realizing that basically every limb on this kit and the body have multiple seam lines so this should be fun.

I missed the deadline for my IBO grunt suit buildoff but I'm going to continue on it. The inner frame is all painted and top coated and I have the armor primed. I also painted any thrusters the kit had.

War. War never changes.

Sucks you missed it but looking good!

Sent from my LGL22C using Tapatalk

Re: Gunpla.newb WIP

Quote Originally Posted by Gunpla.newb View Post

Tis but a scratch...
    "Pssssssst...Hey you...yeah you...No, THE OTHER you, yeah, YOU, see that person sitting next to you...yeah, that one right there, light them on fire."

"Cover me, I'm going stupid."

"I've seen Hockey games where boxing breaks out, I want to go to a boxing match and watch Hockey break out."

"My Gunpla work style is best described as the Hold my Beer and Watch This method."

Put some color on my shiden last night and learned some valuable lessons.

1. I'm not a fan of citadel paints. The mr color paints just spray so much nicer and lay down much better.

2. White paint doesn't cover very well. I guess if you want a really bright white you need to use a white primer instead of grey.

I'm probably going to redo the yellow part, it's a citadel paint and it just didn't come out very well.
    War. War never changes.

After about a week off I finally got back to work last night. Got the rest of the painting done on the shiden, just need to detail and top coat now. I've been making some slow progress on the Hy-Gogg too, removing seam lines. Decided I needed a simpler project so I started the new HG Zeta. Just gonna snap this one I think.
    War. War never changes.

Finally finished my first custom/full paint job. I'm not really happy with how it came out but I certainly learned a lot. The idea was to make a Shiden that Hush would have customized to look like Mika's Barbatos since he admired him so much. I don't have any decent pics yet but here it is.
    War. War never changes.

Nice it's finally done!

see you later space cowboy

Got a little more work done on the zeta.
    War. War never changes.

Finished snapping up the Zeta "gunpla evolution project". Really interesting kit, the engineering is superb and it's very stable, especially considering everything I hear about every other zeta is how unstable they are. As I was building it I was nervous with all of the little moving parts and flaps that it was going to be fragile, but I don't feel that way at all, it's very solid. I really do wish it had less stickers tho. I know that's been harped on a lot but imo it's the only thing holding this kit back from being perfect. I don't mind the small orange stickers but the large red ones on the backpack look horrible. The orange one on the front of the shoulder that has black it the middle is ugly too. I think that could have been an orange part with just the black being a sticker. Silver lining is I dont think they would be hard to paint at all. Despite all of that it was an enjoyable build and you can't help but love the hyper mega launcher! On to the FM Bael!
    War. War never changes.

P.S. I need some type of photo backdrop or tent.
    War. War never changes.