Welcome to the Gundam Forums.

Anime is an Artistic Movement

Disregard the actual video title. Obviously meant to get attention, so it works. Though it's made me start to reconsider certain things about anime and animation in general. And really goes into more of our now more globalized culture, how and where animation is actually made in the modern day , what's actually considered and accepted as anime in Japanese, varying art styles, Japanese cartoons we don't care or really consider anime, definitions as a way to control discussion, etc. But yeah,mostly posting it here because I found it pretty enlightening and interesting.

Though I should note that I'm more sharing this because I like it and for discussion. This isn't some stealth attempt at changing any rules. I hardly post on this place nowadays anyway.
    Ways to reach me if the site really does go down:
    Discord: BadWrongFun#0889
    Email: badwrongfun@gmx.com
    Mastodon:https://glitch.social/web/accounts/41917
    Twitter: @bad_wrong_fun

Re: Anime is an Artistic Movement

Allthough... Based off of the title, I geuss you could say it's Anime Ja Nai.
    Oh well. What ever happens, happens.

What ever you're looking for, it's always in the last place you look.

Whoa, that was indeed enlightening Riah. I do have to agree with him in that "anime" is an artistic movement that is a reflection of the times, whether it originated in Japan, China, Korea, the USA, or Europe.
    "You see, there's no need to wonder where your god is. Because he's right here! And he's fresh out of mercy!"
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

"Well, what good is being a god if you can't smite some people?"
    - Epsilon Church

Nope, nope, nope. Its a copy of a style, not genuine anime. I still remember when it was refereed to as Japanime. The Jap part got dropped in the later half of the 90s. Honestly those shows have more in common with Disney style animation. And that's the rub. Purists say it's not anime, while fans want it to be more than a cartoon.
    "What do you mean it's OUT OF STOCK/BACK-ORDERED!?!?!"

If Newtypes can predict the future, and feel their opponents intentions, how come none of them were ever able to dodge the Bright Slap?

I think that part of the problem is not what shows like Avatar and Voltron should be defined and classified as based on art-style, but an overall problem that exists for all of animation: that animation should not be treated as a genre, but rather as a medium. Just as books, comics and live-action film-making is considered a medium in which to tell a story, animation should be treated the same way. Anime in Japan is roughly treated the same way as it here in the US: as something that is kind of obscure and generally meant for kids and/or shut-in otaku with the only mainstream breakthroughs being films like Spirited Away, Akira, Ghost in the Shell, etc.
    "You see, there's no need to wonder where your god is. Because he's right here! And he's fresh out of mercy!"
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

"Well, what good is being a god if you can't smite some people?"
    - Epsilon Church

Give Zeta a cookie, he gets it! That is exactly what I tell people when I am trying to introduce them to anime. And it is also what makes the difference between true anime and a copied style. Most anime have stories that grab you, and could be enjoyed through other mediums without having them altered. Now there are plenty of crapyeah animes, but the base premise, and underlying tones are completely different then cartoons.
    "What do you mean it's OUT OF STOCK/BACK-ORDERED!?!?!"

If Newtypes can predict the future, and feel their opponents intentions, how come none of them were ever able to dodge the Bright Slap?