Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: LGT PG Astray Red Frame - Custom Paint

Quote Originally Posted by TeeReezy209 View Post
    That is super dope! Love the custom work. Can't wait till my airbrush setup arrives in mail to try some custom building. Great work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    thank you for your he kind words sir. I love your freedom and msn 01 too. I have an MSN too but I am not there yet to build it into my own version sadly

- - - Updated - - -

So never ever buy things when you are emotional. You will end up buying extras... I had two and I got another white one...

So this is a very very very challenging (at least for me) task. Spent 2 hrs trying and redoing and I 'think' i finally understand the technique well enough to create something 'smoke' like. Now for the test. Do they look smoke?

Very very subjective art form...

Stuck behind a damn desk now, finally off the road!!

Getting close, now it has a liquid state to it. like cream in coffee. that same thing. It looks like a lighter liquid going through a heaver liquid. The problem from what it looks like is that it is too solid for smoke. unless it is a thick cloud of smoke it should be a good bit transparent. watch a camp fire you can see the smoke, but you can also still see through the smoke.
    Also smoke will not really have to many strait lines or sharp turns. Here is a good idea to help you get the feel of the smoke and the movements of it. Take a piece of black paper and get a camera ready, a smart phone is great for this. set the phone on video light a match and blow it out then video the smoke rising. Then but thins in its way. So the second match the smoke has to go around a small box or something with strait edges. Then you can watch the smoke over and over and you can get the feel of what the smoke is really doing and the fluid like movements that is does. But you are getting so damn close. An AB would really help thou.
    List of things to do today. 1. Get a sword. 2. Name it Kindness. 3 Kill people with Kindness.

My WIP: http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...816#post274816

My built stuff:http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...eys-Big-Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gundammonkey View Post
    Getting close, now it has a liquid state to it. like cream in coffee. that same thing. It looks like a lighter liquid going through a heaver liquid. The problem from what it looks like is that it is too solid for smoke. unless it is a thick cloud of smoke it should be a good bit transparent. watch a camp fire you can see the smoke, but you can also still see through the smoke.
    Also smoke will not really have to many strait lines or sharp turns. Here is a good idea to help you get the feel of the smoke and the movements of it. Take a piece of black paper and get a camera ready, a smart phone is great for this. set the phone on video light a match and blow it out then video the smoke rising. Then but thins in its way. So the second match the smoke has to go around a small box or something with strait edges. Then you can watch the smoke over and over and you can get the feel of what the smoke is really doing and the fluid like movements that is does. But you are getting so damn close. An AB would really help thou.
    thanks gundammonkey again for the suggestions.

I hope 3rd time is the charm so comments pls. the last piece (4th) is my safety net. if i cant pull off the smoke effect then i will go for smoke effect patterns. i donno why tho. the effect looks better in RL and in my phone

DAMN!! OK from the left to right in the first picture. Part 1 (far left) Yup that looks like it is 99.9% there. The second part: BAM! there it is! The next part this one is great, but compared to the first two the "smoke" has a different thickness to it. It looks really great like it is right at the start of the fire where the other two look like they are further away, so the smoke is more opaque, The last part (far right) IMO too much white it clashes with the other parts. Out of the 4 in the first picture The first two are the ones I would go with, the third part is right up there in third place.

- - - Updated - - -

Crap I didn't even really look at the second picture. OOPS.
    OF those two parts I like the one on the left. It shows more movement to the smoke. The one on the right kind of looks like the smoke is just following the lines in the armor a bit to cose, But that is just my opinion. so light grain of salt. Hell you are doing a better job at this than I have.
    List of things to do today. 1. Get a sword. 2. Name it Kindness. 3 Kill people with Kindness.

DAMN!! OK from the left to right in the first picture. Part 1 (far left) Yup that looks like it is 99.9% there. The second part: BAM! there it is! The next part this one is great, but compared to the first two the "smoke" has a different thickness to it. It looks really great like it is right at the start of the fire where the other two look like they are further away, so the smoke is more opaque, The last part (far right) IMO too much white it clashes with the other parts. Out of the 4 in the first picture The first two are the ones I would go with, the third part is right up there in third place.

- - - Updated - - -

Crap I didn't even really look at the second picture. OOPS.
    OF those two parts I like the one on the left. It shows more movement to the smoke. The one on the right kind of looks like the smoke is just following the lines in the armor a bit to cose, But that is just my opinion. so light grain of salt. Hell you are doing a better job at this than I have.
    ha... thanks bro..

Now for the moment of truth. I added the smoke pieces into the body to see the overall effect. The pieces are not top coated yet in case the effect is crap. Do give comments about the entire look. Sorry about the last pic. Its kinda over exposed.

For some strange reason that I can't place, I like it. are you going to add smoke on the chest parts as well?

For some strange reason that I can't place, I like it. are you going to add smoke on the chest parts as well?
    Yes the chest and its sides will get its own smoke. The idea was the smoke rises from the feet (black parts), waist and up to the chest.

Im really excited to see how this turns out. I think if I was to get a PG it would be a Red Frame.

The smoke is Iooking much better, i would probably finish the rest of the parts your going to smoke and assemble them to see how it all looks together.

Quote Originally Posted by Iris_Aznable View Post
    Im really excited to see how this turns out. I think if I was to get a PG it would be a Red Frame.
    Yes I think red frame should be an interesting build for you if you like that kinda ninja theme gundam and if you like swords.. yes swords.. *drool~*

Quote Originally Posted by rockpopandchips View Post
    The smoke is Iooking much better, i would probably finish the rest of the parts your going to smoke and assemble them to see how it all looks together.
    Thanks for the comments again rockpopandchips and yeb I will but its easier said then done tho.. hehe...

Just sharing more pics now. This is a new piece so it took longer than the previous pcs. 2 hrs to be exact... I have to come up with a new way to get the effect since this is a totally new kind of paint over then previous one. I also assembled the backpack now since I do not intend to so more with it.

Doing a smoke effect on a Sazabi would be sick too. I'm trying to build up airbrush skills to at least give my sazabi a gold red and silver red candy coat

Quote Originally Posted by Iris_Aznable View Post
    Doing a smoke effect on a Sazabi would be sick too. I'm trying to build up airbrush skills to at least give my sazabi a gold red and silver red candy coat
    oh~ I bet that sazabi would look really good with that colour plus that smoke effect

Short update..

Seems like midnight works best for me. Today made 3 pcs under and hour so the heels are done. Hopefully by end of this week I complete the entire feet

Gorgeous work man. The smoke effect is pretty darn neat. I know at some point I'm going to have to do an Astray. I am a sucker for red and white color schemes.

Quote Originally Posted by dedguy View Post
    Gorgeous work man. The smoke effect is pretty darn neat. I know at some point I'm going to have to do an Astray. I am a sucker for red and white color schemes.
    thanks dedguy for the encouragement

So today I can feel my mojo on and went ahead and completed one side of the feets. Some pics to share

Feet are really good!