Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 510111213141516171819 ... LastLast
    Stuck behind a damn desk now, finally off the road!!

Re: LGT PG Astray Red Frame - Custom Paint

And now a moment to laugh at my stupidity. I was looking at your astray and was all "I don't really like its proportions, something is just off." Then I realized "hay numb nuts, he still has the rest of the chest to put on he isn't done".
    So now that I'm up to date with your build, and other than my lack of observation skills I like where you are going with this.

List of things to do today. 1. Get a sword. 2. Name it Kindness. 3 Kill people with Kindness.

My WIP: http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...816#post274816

My built stuff:http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...eys-Big-Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gundammonkey View Post
    And now a moment to laugh at my stupidity. I was looking at your astray and was all "I don't really like its proportions, something is just off." Then I realized "hay numb nuts, he still has the rest of the chest to put on he isn't done".
    So now that I'm up to date with your build, and other than my lack of observation skills I like where you are going with this.
    haha.. nice frank talk there gundammokey and thanks for the kind words too.

10hrs reno on my daughter's room slow me down a little on my build but I managed to cut up and clean very nicely the shield, the shealth get the blacks and the greys painted like what I wanted and lastly top coated them.

pics you see are me going to top coat the blacks and the greys. I overlapped one to show the carbon black and the 'normal' black I gotten recently.

- - - Updated - - -

created some smoke pieces but maybe my artistic mojo has not kicked in yet. so I am gonna need some comments. Do they look nice? Seriously stress about this. Made 11 but kill off 5

Last edited by lgt1977; July 19, 2017 at 10:12 AM.

It looks more like black marble or granite not so much smoke. But I like it.

List of things to do today. 1. Get a sword. 2. Name it Kindness. 3 Kill people with Kindness.

It looks more like black marble or granite not so much smoke. But I like it.
    thanks bro for the frank assessment. I hope I can get others voice about my smoke painting thanks

Just a thought or idea that might help get the effect of smoke. Have you tried to use a super small hair detail brush? I have one that is for ultra detail and it only has like 4 or 5 hours hairs for the brush. But you could take a normal brush and thin it out so the the bristles are spaced out. Then they would leave small light lines of the white against the black. Mainly because of scale, I think that is what's throwing it off. You have smoke lines that are almost to big for the parts you are painting. You have to make the white lines smaller.
    Last edited by gundammonkey; April 11, 2017 at 8:10 AM.

Just a thought or idea that might help get the effect of smoke. Have you tried to use a super small hair detail brush? I have one that is for ultra detail and it only has like 4 or 5 hours hairs for the brush. But you could take a normal brush and thin it out so the the bristles are spaced out. Then they would leave small light lines of the white agents the black. Mainly because of scale, I think that is what's throwing it off. You have smoke lines that are almost to big for the parts you are painting. You have to make the white lines smaller.
    Yes.. the scale~ I do have a very fine and small brush that I think might work. Gonna reset everything and try again. Thanks again for the advice. Lets see 3rd time is the charm or not.

I would have to go along with gundammonkey, looks a bit to marble like but i can not see how to fix it at this point, the only smoke effect i have seen painted was using an airbrush but on a much larger scale than this. May a line with the thin brush then mist out the smoke using your airbrush, no sure if that would work thought. Back to the spoons i think.

Good luck with it.

Ya I'm gonna give it a go myself. It's a cool idea so let's see if we can find a way to get it right.

Quote Originally Posted by rockpopandchips View Post
    I would have to go along with gundammonkey, looks a bit to marble like but i can not see how to fix it at this point, the only smoke effect i have seen painted was using an airbrush but on a much larger scale than this. May a line with the thin brush then mist out the smoke using your airbrush, no sure if that would work thought. Back to the spoons i think.

Good luck with it.
    thanks man. I need all the luck I can get. I dont have an airbrush tho so I cant try out that method. All my kits are hand painted.

- - - Updated - - -

Ya I'm gonna give it a go myself. It's a cool idea so let's see if we can find a way to get it right.
    hope to give it a 'try' again tonight let see the outcome. I guess I can only concentrate on the bigger parts.

That is super dope! Love the custom work. Can't wait till my airbrush setup arrives in mail to try some custom building. Great work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TeeReezy209 View Post
    That is super dope! Love the custom work. Can't wait till my airbrush setup arrives in mail to try some custom building. Great work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    thank you for your he kind words sir. I love your freedom and msn 01 too. I have an MSN too but I am not there yet to build it into my own version sadly

- - - Updated - - -

So never ever buy things when you are emotional. You will end up buying extras... I had two and I got another white one...

So this is a very very very challenging (at least for me) task. Spent 2 hrs trying and redoing and I 'think' i finally understand the technique well enough to create something 'smoke' like. Now for the test. Do they look smoke?

Very very subjective art form...
    Last edited by lgt1977; July 19, 2017 at 10:06 AM.

Getting close, now it has a liquid state to it. like cream in coffee. that same thing. It looks like a lighter liquid going through a heaver liquid. The problem from what it looks like is that it is too solid for smoke. unless it is a thick cloud of smoke it should be a good bit transparent. watch a camp fire you can see the smoke, but you can also still see through the smoke.
    Also smoke will not really have to many strait lines or sharp turns. Here is a good idea to help you get the feel of the smoke and the movements of it. Take a piece of black paper and get a camera ready, a smart phone is great for this. set the phone on video light a match and blow it out then video the smoke rising. Then but thins in its way. So the second match the smoke has to go around a small box or something with strait edges. Then you can watch the smoke over and over and you can get the feel of what the smoke is really doing and the fluid like movements that is does. But you are getting so damn close. An AB would really help thou.

Getting close, now it has a liquid state to it. like cream in coffee. that same thing. It looks like a lighter liquid going through a heaver liquid. The problem from what it looks like is that it is too solid for smoke. unless it is a thick cloud of smoke it should be a good bit transparent. watch a camp fire you can see the smoke, but you can also still see through the smoke.
    Also smoke will not really have to many strait lines or sharp turns. Here is a good idea to help you get the feel of the smoke and the movements of it. Take a piece of black paper and get a camera ready, a smart phone is great for this. set the phone on video light a match and blow it out then video the smoke rising. Then but thins in its way. So the second match the smoke has to go around a small box or something with strait edges. Then you can watch the smoke over and over and you can get the feel of what the smoke is really doing and the fluid like movements that is does. But you are getting so damn close. An AB would really help thou.
    thanks gundammonkey again for the suggestions.

I hope 3rd time is the charm so comments pls. the last piece (4th) is my safety net. if i cant pull off the smoke effect then i will go for smoke effect patterns. i donno why tho. the effect looks better in RL and in my phone

Last edited by lgt1977; July 19, 2017 at 10:01 AM.

DAMN!! OK from the left to right in the first picture. Part 1 (far left) Yup that looks like it is 99.9% there. The second part: BAM! there it is! The next part this one is great, but compared to the first two the "smoke" has a different thickness to it. It looks really great like it is right at the start of the fire where the other two look like they are further away, so the smoke is more opaque, The last part (far right) IMO too much white it clashes with the other parts. Out of the 4 in the first picture The first two are the ones I would go with, the third part is right up there in third place.

- - - Updated - - -

Crap I didn't even really look at the second picture. OOPS.
    OF those two parts I like the one on the left. It shows more movement to the smoke. The one on the right kind of looks like the smoke is just following the lines in the armor a bit to cose, But that is just my opinion. so light grain of salt. Hell you are doing a better job at this than I have.

DAMN!! OK from the left to right in the first picture. Part 1 (far left) Yup that looks like it is 99.9% there. The second part: BAM! there it is! The next part this one is great, but compared to the first two the "smoke" has a different thickness to it. It looks really great like it is right at the start of the fire where the other two look like they are further away, so the smoke is more opaque, The last part (far right) IMO too much white it clashes with the other parts. Out of the 4 in the first picture The first two are the ones I would go with, the third part is right up there in third place.

- - - Updated - - -

Crap I didn't even really look at the second picture. OOPS.
    OF those two parts I like the one on the left. It shows more movement to the smoke. The one on the right kind of looks like the smoke is just following the lines in the armor a bit to cose, But that is just my opinion. so light grain of salt. Hell you are doing a better job at this than I have.
    ha... thanks bro..

Now for the moment of truth. I added the smoke pieces into the body to see the overall effect. The pieces are not top coated yet in case the effect is crap. Do give comments about the entire look. Sorry about the last pic. Its kinda over exposed.

Last edited by lgt1977; July 19, 2017 at 9:58 AM.