Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: LGT PG Astray Red Frame - Custom Paint

As Astray fan... I 100% approve of this epicness!

Quote Originally Posted by rockpopandchips View Post
    This is looking better at every update!
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeiond View Post
    As Astray fan... I 100% approve of this epicness!
    Thanks rockpopandchips and Xeiond for the comments! Yes I really like the design and the colours so far. The build has really gotten me excited~

A week of hard work pays off!. Finally I get to see the legs and waist area fully armored! I really like to outcome so far. (the pcs near the transparent green are not fully inserted. May be thinking of changing them to red) So more pics!

Short update. The white parts are all completed except for the shield. I think I am sticking with a natural white instead of shimmering red for the shield. I am not happy with the grey smoke and the black I had so I went out to buy another black and white to try the smoke effects again. I brought carbon smoke and black of two different brand since I cannot decided which I want. Tomorrow will be another round of spoons again. I tried the blacks on the runners and it seems I like carbon black more the other black looks more metallic black.

That is looking very very nice!

That is looking very very nice!
    thanks bro for your kind words again. Yes I am really happy with the result cant wait for the black to be done.

Today was another busy day for me. Finished assembling the shoulders, arms, hands and the head. Finished cutting the black parts and now they are waiting to be painted. However didnt get the time to try out the new white paint on the spoon tho. So I have I decided to use both blacks I brought into my build. Carbon black for the black parts and black for the grey parts (Waist). Lets see...

I am trying different lightning so please bear with me if my pics are shitty... Managed to take some photos not near to midnight for a change. Hope you like them.

+

Stuck behind a damn desk now, finally off the road!!

And now a moment to laugh at my stupidity. I was looking at your astray and was all "I don't really like its proportions, something is just off." Then I realized "hay numb nuts, he still has the rest of the chest to put on he isn't done".
    So now that I'm up to date with your build, and other than my lack of observation skills I like where you are going with this.
    List of things to do today. 1. Get a sword. 2. Name it Kindness. 3 Kill people with Kindness.

My WIP: http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...816#post274816

My built stuff:http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...eys-Big-Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gundammonkey View Post
    And now a moment to laugh at my stupidity. I was looking at your astray and was all "I don't really like its proportions, something is just off." Then I realized "hay numb nuts, he still has the rest of the chest to put on he isn't done".
    So now that I'm up to date with your build, and other than my lack of observation skills I like where you are going with this.
    haha.. nice frank talk there gundammokey and thanks for the kind words too.

10hrs reno on my daughter's room slow me down a little on my build but I managed to cut up and clean very nicely the shield, the shealth get the blacks and the greys painted like what I wanted and lastly top coated them.

pics you see are me going to top coat the blacks and the greys. I overlapped one to show the carbon black and the 'normal' black I gotten recently.

- - - Updated - - -

created some smoke pieces but maybe my artistic mojo has not kicked in yet. so I am gonna need some comments. Do they look nice? Seriously stress about this. Made 11 but kill off 5

It looks more like black marble or granite not so much smoke. But I like it.
    List of things to do today. 1. Get a sword. 2. Name it Kindness. 3 Kill people with Kindness.

It looks more like black marble or granite not so much smoke. But I like it.
    thanks bro for the frank assessment. I hope I can get others voice about my smoke painting thanks

Just a thought or idea that might help get the effect of smoke. Have you tried to use a super small hair detail brush? I have one that is for ultra detail and it only has like 4 or 5 hours hairs for the brush. But you could take a normal brush and thin it out so the the bristles are spaced out. Then they would leave small light lines of the white against the black. Mainly because of scale, I think that is what's throwing it off. You have smoke lines that are almost to big for the parts you are painting. You have to make the white lines smaller.
    Last edited by gundammonkey; April 11, 2017 at 8:10 AM.

Just a thought or idea that might help get the effect of smoke. Have you tried to use a super small hair detail brush? I have one that is for ultra detail and it only has like 4 or 5 hours hairs for the brush. But you could take a normal brush and thin it out so the the bristles are spaced out. Then they would leave small light lines of the white agents the black. Mainly because of scale, I think that is what's throwing it off. You have smoke lines that are almost to big for the parts you are painting. You have to make the white lines smaller.
    Yes.. the scale~ I do have a very fine and small brush that I think might work. Gonna reset everything and try again. Thanks again for the advice. Lets see 3rd time is the charm or not.

I would have to go along with gundammonkey, looks a bit to marble like but i can not see how to fix it at this point, the only smoke effect i have seen painted was using an airbrush but on a much larger scale than this. May a line with the thin brush then mist out the smoke using your airbrush, no sure if that would work thought. Back to the spoons i think.

Good luck with it.

Ya I'm gonna give it a go myself. It's a cool idea so let's see if we can find a way to get it right.

I would have to go along with gundammonkey, looks a bit to marble like but i can not see how to fix it at this point, the only smoke effect i have seen painted was using an airbrush but on a much larger scale than this. May a line with the thin brush then mist out the smoke using your airbrush, no sure if that would work thought. Back to the spoons i think.

Good luck with it.
    thanks man. I need all the luck I can get. I dont have an airbrush tho so I cant try out that method. All my kits are hand painted.

- - - Updated - - -

Ya I'm gonna give it a go myself. It's a cool idea so let's see if we can find a way to get it right.
    hope to give it a 'try' again tonight let see the outcome. I guess I can only concentrate on the bigger parts.

That is super dope! Love the custom work. Can't wait till my airbrush setup arrives in mail to try some custom building. Great work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk