Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 49101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Re: LGT PG Astray Red Frame - Custom Paint

Thats a nice effect. How did u do it?

Quote Originally Posted by gundammonkey View Post
    Of the spoon pictures I like the 2nd one from the top. That one seems to have more of the smoke quality to it. The last ones not so much, they look like you were trying to hard to make smoke. Where the first two look more like actual smoke in a bottle. But what ever you did for the second spoon keep doing that, IMO it is the better of the 4 you have.
    Yes I think so too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by babes412011 View Post
    Thats a nice effect. How did u do it?
    base paint (in this case - black) + topcoat + smoke effect + top coat

smoke effect - brush must be constantly wet. Dabbed a little paint and starts 'smoking'. Draw your the lines that represent the smoke. Add water to start diffusing the lines to create the smoke effect or dry your brush to 'suck' up the extra paint. Repeat above until your desire smoke effect is made.

Diggin that look and I was talkin about on the spoon

Quote Originally Posted by Daltrons-counter-attack View Post
    Diggin that look and I was talkin about on the spoon
    thanks for the comment but I wouldnt be looking at a bright candy look since this is a inner body frame. I hope to achieve some toning contrast from the external frame and the inner frame. I am trying again since I fail that experiment during my strike in the past.

A little (very) update. Just spent about an hr yesterday just cutting up the pieces for the inner frame for the leg. I was trying out these two colours on the running to see which one is better and I managed to find some 'strings' that I will be using to tie the Sageo (knot) on the katana frame later during the build.

I have just finish coating the inner legs with my preferred colour and the outcome looks pretty good. It came out pretty candy in colour which I did not intend it to have.

Next step is to test the two tones for this. Hopefully I can recreate what I did on my spoons and better the process.

I am really amaze and intimidated by the numbers of parts that I have to cut and clean for a PG. So many pcs for just the inner frame's leg *hence my slow in my posting* I had to stop and satisfy my builder's craving and snap build a HG Kimaris.

All the inner frame has been cut but still a lot of time needed to clean them...

- - - Updated - - -

Managed to finish the painting and assembling the legs today and I am liking the result so far. The paint looks realistically blood red under bright lightning like in the first photo dont know if it is showing in the pic but its kinda intimidating.. especially when you are taking pics exactly at midnight..

wow it looks really cool. Almost Khornate lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Iris_Aznable View Post
    wow it looks really cool. Almost Khornate lol.
    thanks Iris

Another small update. I went crazy today. What seems weeks (?) or at least a few days of cleaning and cutting done within a day. Maybe seeing Orga bite the dust push me a little. Tried the shimming red with a combo if clear top coat or clear white coat to check the different. Let see the result tomorrow...

The inner legs look very different in a very good way. Looking forward to seeing them with some of the white outer parts.

Quote Originally Posted by rockpopandchips View Post
    The inner legs look very different in a very good way. Looking forward to seeing them with some of the white outer parts.
    thanks bro for the comment. I too can't wait for my whites to be done.

Another update. The inner waist has been assembled and painted. The lighter shades of red for the leg/body have been painted with what I 'think' is a good color.. (still trial and error. I have a slightly darker shade) and painted one white piece with my shimmering red and top coated it. I think that looks good

- - - Updated - - -

Finished the body tonight near to midnight again and while I was taking the photos I got photo bomb by my fav cat of my 4. Aint she pretty?

So with the recent additional of the new red I have 3 shades. The one near the cockpit are brighter red than the chest pieces which I normally add the black shade in. Somehow I left the chest and the back piece alone. It is unfortunately that my camera cannot capture the shimmering red of the neck area. All I can see are some kind of flat white from the pictures.

Oh some of the pics where the black looks like a blob to you. Some how the shade of the black is too light for the camera to pick up so only the dark patch are pick up showing a 'blob'

I set him up with different poses as well to see how the colours shows.

- - - Updated - - -

Been BZ cutting up and painting the white pieces for the leg and the body. So far I am liking the look. I may add another or two more layers to enhance the shimmering red on the whites.

I took this pic with flash hopefully you can see the pieces behind showing some red in it.

I have also added the red pieces onto the legs. Taking pics at midnight again...

This is looking better at every update!

As Astray fan... I 100% approve of this epicness!

This is looking better at every update!
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeiond View Post
    As Astray fan... I 100% approve of this epicness!
    Thanks rockpopandchips and Xeiond for the comments! Yes I really like the design and the colours so far. The build has really gotten me excited~

A week of hard work pays off!. Finally I get to see the legs and waist area fully armored! I really like to outcome so far. (the pcs near the transparent green are not fully inserted. May be thinking of changing them to red) So more pics!

Short update. The white parts are all completed except for the shield. I think I am sticking with a natural white instead of shimmering red for the shield. I am not happy with the grey smoke and the black I had so I went out to buy another black and white to try the smoke effects again. I brought carbon smoke and black of two different brand since I cannot decided which I want. Tomorrow will be another round of spoons again. I tried the blacks on the runners and it seems I like carbon black more the other black looks more metallic black.

That is looking very very nice!

That is looking very very nice!
    thanks bro for your kind words again. Yes I am really happy with the result cant wait for the black to be done.

Today was another busy day for me. Finished assembling the shoulders, arms, hands and the head. Finished cutting the black parts and now they are waiting to be painted. However didnt get the time to try out the new white paint on the spoon tho. So I have I decided to use both blacks I brought into my build. Carbon black for the black parts and black for the grey parts (Waist). Lets see...

I am trying different lightning so please bear with me if my pics are shitty... Managed to take some photos not near to midnight for a change. Hope you like them.

+