Welcome to the Gundam Forums.

Kits needed to kit bash 1/100 GM III??*

Folks

Okay I know this is a stretch (I REALLY DO) but I REALLY like the RGM 86 GM III (especially if it sat on the shelf next to the 1/100 Geara Doga I have in the unbuilt stash) and I was wondering since the ships have Long Ago Sailed on the 1/100 AKO and B-Club kits what kits would I need (besides the GUNDAM MK II for the Backpack and Beam Sabers) to kit bash a "somewhat" reasonable looking 1/100 GM - III??? I'm already considering one of the GM-C kits I have but are there others???

Thanks for ANY Help and Suggestions Forthcoming!!!
    Last edited by DarKev3; February 6, 2017 at 5:12 PM.

Re: Kits needed to kit bash 1/100 GM III??*

I'd honestly say the the GM Type C would be the best bet for the base, it's got the best proportions out of all the GM's in 1/100 scale and is closest to how the suit was redesigned in unicorn as it itself is a Katoki design to begin with.

Anyway I had a spare Mk II backpack (mostly) from building the P-Bandai powered GM (they give you half the armor parts for the Mk II so you can make the bazooka for the powered GM) and a spare type C I've had sitting around for a while after it was going to be used as a base for a resin powered GM kit but the casting was that bad with 1-2mm gaps everywhere that I just shelved the kit.. Until I saw the spare Mk II backpack and decided to build a Torrington base "spare-parts special" using what resin parts I could salvage + putty, styrene and the backpack.

Here's a pic on how I got them to line up, the detail on the backpack and the detail on the back of the suit are the same width, so I used that as a guide to rough file a hole to fit some styrene box on.
    njJg4G0.jpg

And here's how it looks from the front
    mxku5Jq.jpg

I built the torso up to resemble the powered GM and because of that the beam sabers wouldn't fit (They're now mounted on the rear skirt like a GM Command) but seeing as on the GM III torso isn't bigger and it's only camera equipment on the front the beam sabers should fit perfectly fine on the backpack.

I hope anything I've shared has been of use

Re: Kits needed to kit bash 1/100 GM III??*

Hello McWeaksauce

Now that is what I was talking about. The MG GM - C with some work, putty and plastic is a "plausible" base kit for a MG GM - III. Please keep the Pictures and Notes coming it is GREATLY Appreciated!!!

DarKev3