Welcome to the Gundam Forums.

Thread: New to Gunpla

New to Gunpla

Hello all. This is my first time trying to dip my toe into the world of gunpla. I've done a couple of the super deformed kits that someone got me for Christmas, but that's it. I have done some other model work, so I'm not new to the hobby as a whole. That includes some Tachikoma models whose instructions were all in japanese.

I've always liked anything that has to do with intricate parts working together: watches, machines, models, legos, etc. Anything that requires lots of time bent over tiny parts trying to assemble them into one big cool thing, especially if it has some cool moving parts afterward. I also really like tanks and robots. This has lead me to the world of gunpla.

I will say that one thing I do not like is painting. I will cut stuff from sprues all day, and don't mind spending hours, days, or even weeks on assembling things. But ask me to do any kind of detailed painting and my interest will suffer greatly. If I can lay out a bunch of individual parts and just do various spray paint colors on different parts, then it's not so bad, but I hate having to pick up a fine-tipped brush and try to do details myself.

I've read a few guides on starting, but I'm looking for some more specific advice for what I'm interested in. I've perused some galleries of various models but want some advice to hopefully zero in on the right model for me. Something that can be a project I can work on, modify, upgrade, etc.

Some of the things I am interested in, in no particular order: dark paint schemes, especially with more earthy colors; gatling guns (heavyarms is one of my favorite gundams from what little I know of all the series, though not a fan of the orange paint scheme), shields, posable, intricate, upgradable (I saw that there are a lot of after market kits for upgrading parts and/or adding detail like metal, lights, etc), customizable (exchangable weapons, accessories, etc).

While looking through the galleries, I created a list of some of the models that I like the general look of, to give an idea of my taste: Unicorn Banshee Titanium Finish, 01H2 H-Arms Custom, RGM Sniper, RGM Jesta, RX Full Armor Unicorn, GAT Strike Noir.

I also saw a dual/quad gatling upgrade for the Sazabi that I really like and would like to attach to some of the frames above. Though I do prefer 6-barrel gatling to 4-barrels, I like the ammo belts on it. And while I don't dislike the Sazabi model, I'm not as big of a fan of the bigger samurai-armor-like look it has.

So what I'm hoping for are some suggestions from all of you more experienced gunpla-ers for a model to start with that I can gradually get upgrade parts (more metal, lights, etc.), trick out, and if needed even paint.

- - - Updated - - -

After looking into it more, I think I'm most interested in a PG Unicorn. I see that there are 2 white ones, one with green glow effects, and one with red, and a third one that is black and orange, though I can't tell what the glow effects on it are.

My question would be, are the upgrade kits for the 3 of them compatible?

Re: New to Gunpla

Welcome to the club.

If you are talking abt after market 3rd party kits then the answer should be no. They are not 100% compatible. However there are too many after market upgrade kits out there. Maybe you can offer a name of the 3rd party.

The main ones I'm thinking of are the LED unit and the Full Armor upgrade, though I would be interested in some metal detail upgrades as well. I guess the main thing I was wondering was how many, if any of the parts are similar between the three. I saw that with some other models, part sprues/runners are re-used, and some models are exact copies with different paint schemes. So I was wondering if there were enough similarities between the PG Unicorns to allow for upgrade kits to be cross-compatible. I didn't have a specific 3rd party kit in mind. First step would be deciding in a model. I like the color scheme of the Banshee Unicorn more. Just not sure if there are LED and Full Armor upgrades for it.

Welcome. Meds to the right, straight jackets to the left, and a lot of crazy folks running around wigged out yelling someone about "Season Zeon" or something like that, I think that means they're hungry.
    "Pssssssst...Hey you...yeah you...No, THE OTHER you, yeah, YOU, see that person sitting next to you...yeah, that one right there, light them on fire."

"Cover me, I'm going stupid."

"I've seen Hockey games where boxing breaks out, I want to go to a boxing match and watch Hockey break out."

"My Gunpla work style is best described as the Hold my Beer and Watch This method."

Stuck behind a damn desk now, finally off the road!!

BAD BUNNY!! Get back in your pen! And it is SEIG ZEON All to the Glory of ZEON HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA! O' look a purple pill....
    Welcome to the mad house! PG unicorn Good choice! I don't know if you are interested but a 3rd party in china makes a LED set for it that changes color and can be worked by an Iphone app.

List of things to do today. 1. Get a sword. 2. Name it Kindness. 3 Kill people with Kindness.

My WIP: http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...816#post274816

My built stuff:http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...eys-Big-Garage

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

Potentially interested in the color changing LEDs. How does that work when the lights are shining through colored plastic anyway? Seems like it would cause weird color interactions. That's why I was wondering if it was compatible; more color-wise than parts wise. From what I can tell, it will fit in all 3 variants, but I wasn't sure how the colors might work between the 3.

I would be interested in hearing about more upgrade kits for those 3 models.

Also, I saw 2 different metal upgrade kits on Amazon. One was called Metal Modified and one was called metal vernier. The first was between $50-$60, but the second was over $200. I'm just wandering what the difference might be, that makes the second so expensive.

Lastly, I'd be interested in hearing some non-standard mod stories for these kits. I'm interested in adding more gatling/chain guns to them; maybe with a kit similar to the one for the 1/100 Sazabi; I really like how that kit looks and would like something like that for the PG Unicorns. Also, I'd be interested in motorizing the guns to spin, if possible. I'm also interested in some bigger shields for them. And lastly, I'm interested in wings for them; something like the Wing Zero Custom wings. I don't plan to display them with the big weapons display attached to their backs, but I like the idea of wings on their backs instead. So if anyone has any suggestions for modging all that onto them, that would be great.

I have a full metal upgrade kit for the PG unicorn I got it from Abby.lc in e-bay here is the link. He only wants $23.99 + $8.99 shipping.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/cj-metal-det...item19f9a86f01

For metal detail parts I go to these two places
    1. Hgoparts
    2. Abby.lc
    both are on E-bay and they are cheap and they have tons of stuff. If they don't have it or can't get it. they don't make it.

I stay away from Amazon for Gundam stuff. they are way over priced. I saw a kit granted it was a P-Bandai, but I found it on gentei kits.com for like $20 or $30, but Amazon had it for $275!!! No joke. I mean look they want up to $200 for the metal upgrade and I can get it for a total of $30! Ya I would call that over priced.

- - - Updated - - -

The same seller also has the metal detail set for the full armor add on for the PG unicorn

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CJ-Metal-Det...item1c62686099

- - - Updated - - -

As for wings you would need to get the PG wings from the PG wing Gundam and if you want more gatling guns you will need to get the full armor expantion pack. This kit is getting pricey fast. But some of the stuff you might be able to get from someone who has the kits and either is willing to trade or sell them for parts.

List of things to do today. 1. Get a sword. 2. Name it Kindness. 3 Kill people with Kindness.

Wouldn't it be possible to add on some of the stuff later on? Like, I could start with just the base kit, then add metal parts and wings later?

What about the LEDs? Is it advised to build them in as you build the kit, or is it pretty simple to add them after the fact?

No I have the PG Unicorn and Banshee You have to put the LEDs in as you build. they run the wiring though the frame in most places. As for the metal parts you could add them when ever. You mainly just drill small holes ware you want the part to go and glue it in place

I decided to start out small and ordered an HG Graze Ein, HG Full Armor Thunderbolt, and RG Wing Zero EW. Only the Thunderbolt has come in so far. Took me about half a day to get him together. Did the shiny stickers. Haven't done the decals yet.

I like the final product; it's a little smaller than I was expecting. Even for a 1/144.

One question I have is about cutting pieces from the runners. I got some clippers to use, but it often leaves a white mark behind on the colored plastics; almost like it stretched the piece off. Is this typical, or should I get new clippers? Or maybe just use my hobby knife to cut things off runners? I clean it up the best I can with my knife and sanding files. It's smooth; just discolored slightly.

I also ordered 6x of the Giant Gatling kits. Got 5 in and put together. They're definitely too big to bash the HG Thunderbolt into a Heavy Arms inspired piece, but I hear the Graze Ein is slightly bigger. So I'm hoping to be able to use it as a frame for the kit bash I want to do; I like how it looks anyway. It looks fairly unique amongst the other gundams. If that's still too small, a PG should be just fine.

The white marks are caused by the plastic getting stressed as you cut it from the runner. These are what we call "nub marks" and they are the bane of model builders world wide. They make side cutters called "the hand of GOD" and they are suppose to not leave "Nub marks" guess what ....they do the mark is not as big, but even the super expensive cutters leave marks. The best way I have found to stop that is when you cut the part off the runner don't cut right up ageist the part. Leave a little bit of the runner on the part. Then sand down to the part. I use emery boards, like the kind you can get at a beauty supply store. They come in different grits I start with a 600 grit and work all the way up to a 1,200 grit. The 1,200 grit will give you a nice shine to the part, this is great if you are not planing on painting your kit.