Welcome to the Gundam Forums.

Thread: Sports Thread

Sports Thread

As the title says, this is SportsCenter (or least our version of it). Feel free to discuss any sports related topics. Got a favorite team? Share them here and we'll promptly call you out on it (jk of course). Saw an amazing play? Post it here. To start off this thread, how about the Chicago Cubs? They are champions of baseball for the first time since 1908. Think about it: the Cubs went 108 years without a championship win.
    "You see, there's no need to wonder where your god is. Because he's right here! And he's fresh out of mercy!"
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

"Well, what good is being a god if you can't smite some people?"
    - Epsilon Church

Re: Sports Thread

I didn't think they had it. I wanted them to win but was doubting it when their 5 to 1 lead became tied at 6 to 6. The series was great though and the best game seven I can recall. So much for the cubbies curse finally! I guess bartman can get let off the hook ha ha

Quote Originally Posted by justicebeaver View Post
    I didn't think they had it. I wanted them to win but was doubting it when their 5 to 1 lead became tied at 6 to 6. The series was great though and the best game seven I can recall. So much for the cubbies curse finally! I guess bartman can get let off the hook ha ha
    Yeah, that game (and perhaps the whole series) is going to go down as one of the greatest baseball games ever played. The bullpen rotation the Indians had really sent the Cubs through the wringer. I mean you start with Kluber to get to Miller to finally get to Allen to try and close out the game. I'm telling you, Cleveland is going to be force to be reckoned with in the coming years... except for the Browns, they still suck.
    "You see, there's no need to wonder where your god is. Because he's right here! And he's fresh out of mercy!"
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

- Epsilon Church

You realize with the cubs track record. This might have been one of those once in a life time event's

Quote Originally Posted by Rxslinger View Post
    You realize with the cubs track record. This might have been one of those once in a life time event's
    No way. I think they got a potential dynasty here. However, I think that they could use some more depth in their bullpen.
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

- Epsilon Church

Ha...I never thought of that.... Our grand kids may have to wait for the next cubs championship!

Cleveland did a hell of a job, I really think they have a better shot at a dynasty than the cubs, but I would rather the cubs lol.

Now we just need the bears to dominate the Superbowl lol.......

Speaking of the Super Bowl... who do you guys think is going to get in this year? It's about the halfway mark of the season and here are the teams I think that are going to make it in:

AFC East
    New England Patriots

AFC North
    Pittsburgh Steelers

AFC South
    Tennessee Titans

AFC West
    Oakland Raiders

AFC Wild Card
    Houston Texans

NFC East
    Dallas Cowboys

NFC North
    Minnesota Vikings

NFC South
    Atlanta Falcons

NFC West
    Seattle Seahawks

NFC Wild Card
    New York Giants

- - - Updated - - -

Follow up question: would anyone like to challenge these predictions?
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

- Epsilon Church

Man, last night's football game is going to sting for a bit. Seahawks went into Foxborough for a game against the Patriots (my team) and the Pats lost 31-24 in the 4th quarter. Although, I'd rather lose to a highly competitive team than win in a blowout against a loser team.
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

- Epsilon Church

Anyone here going to watch the Army vs. Navy game tomorrow? Being a bit of a Navy fan, I really want to see Annapolis beat West Point.
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

- Epsilon Church

Anyone else going to be watching the Super Bowl today! It's going to be on helluva game! On the one hand, you've got Tom Brady and the New England Patriots going for their 5th championship title (a league record); on the other hand, you've got the Atlanta Falcons who have got a lot to prove appearing in their first Super Bowl since 1999 with the most high-powered offensive lines in league.
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

- Epsilon Church

Whether you were a fan of them when the team was in Los Angeles or a long time fan when the called Oakland their home, these past few days have been rough for Raiders fans. Two days ago, the NFL approved of the Oakland Raiders move to Las Vegas.
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

- Epsilon Church

Now I know most of the members here are not sports fans, but I'd to share with everyone here the best thing I saw today:

Now most of us probably think of football players (and athletes in general) as a bunch of stereotypical meatheads, and for the most part you'd be right. However, there always those instances in which we are proven wrong. This is one of those cases. The picture above is of Green Bay Packers defensive end Mike Daniels painted in the likeness of a Saiyan. Apparently Mr. Daniels liked it so much that he performed a kamehameha hand gesture during the third quarter of the game after he sacked Seahawks quarterback Russell Wilson: https://twitter.com/Mike_Daniels76/s...130818/video/1. I think this perfectly highlights that even athletes can be nerdy and can (and sometimes do) nerd out. Now if only someone could perform a "Last Shooting" pose, that would be kind of cool.
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

- Epsilon Church

So hockey season has started, any hockey fans here? Exia, I know you're a Flyers fan. You'll be happy to know that they beat the San Jose Sharks 5-3.

In other news, we finally have full picture of the playoffs for the World Series Championship (baseball). Here's how it looks:

National League Divisional Series

Nationals vs. Cubs

Dodgers vs. Diamondbacks

American League Divisional Series

Astros vs. Red Sox

Yankees vs. Indians

Any takers as to who's going to advance? In m opinion, the Cleveland Indians are going to take the AL pennant while the Cubs take the NL pennant. So we could be seeing a rematch of last year's World Series.
    Last edited by Zeta; October 5, 2017 at 9:20 AM. Reason: got score wrong
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

- Epsilon Church