Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Stuck behind a damn desk now, finally off the road!!

Re: Painted custom MG Astray Red Frame

$45!!! Damn where are you the Antarctic? Hell if you want I could fine out how much it would be to ship to you from my shop most likely cheaper than $45 for a Little bottle of paint.

- - - Updated - - -

Never mind I just looked at your profile, Australia. Yup that would be Antarctica. LOL

To error is human, to forgive is divine, Luckily I'm neither of these things!

My WIP: http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...816#post274816

My built stuff:http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...eys-Big-Garage

My Blog postings. https://gundammonkeysgarage.wordpress.com/

Because it's lacquer they treat it as hazardous goods here unfortunately. I will have to do some more investigating. My local hobby store use to stock it, but apparently the importer here in my state went bust.

Yes, close enough to the south pole. LOL

Super Moderator

I don't know if you use Fb, but there are a few gundam clubs that have groups there, Gundam Club Australia comes to mind, that would probably give you some alternatives to Alclad. There are some great HK paints that get sold in AU that are just as good, if not equal to Alclad!

https://www.facebook.com/Squeesworkbench

I am no longer a Moderator despite what the user title says. Please do NOT pm me with questions on how to do something hobby related or with issues with the board. Just ask in a related thread.

Thanks Squee. I will have a look around. We do have one decent shop here in Adelaide (military hobbies) that I havn't been too in a long time. I gave them a call and explained my Alclad predicament. The person I spoke to was really good and said that they do now stock a lot of alternatives for metal style paints and suggested I drop by sometime to have a look at what they have.

Cheers guys.

- - - Updated - - -

Not much done today. Some base coating and a start at weathering a couple of the back and butt units I'll get some decals on and then gloss coat and a bit of dry brush and lining.

I did carefully brush touch up my panel chipping on the red parts to tone down the silver showing through on what I've done so far. I'm hoping my other decals turn up this week so I can get some of the other parts finished. I'm off to the tropics on the weekend (far North Queensland) on a trial for the week so I was hoping to get a bunch of parts painted and left to fully cure.
    Attached Images

new progress on the Red Frame

It's been a while, but I have been working on a few projects. I decided to get the Red Frame completed. I have been away up north a lot for work.

I just have to finish the hands and weapons, but it's almost there.

Not looking forward to masking the fingers, so I may just cheat and do them all in an anodized red without the white. I'll see how I feel.

Mark
    Attached Images

Re: new progress on the Red Frame

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    It's been a while, but I have been working on a few projects. I decided to get the Red Frame completed. I have been away up north a lot for work.

I just have to finish the hands and weapons, but it's almost there.

Not looking forward to masking the fingers, so I may just cheat and do them all in an anodized red without the white. I'll see how I feel.

Mark
    hi bro and welcome back! Yes I know how you feel about the fingers.

Thanks lgt. Yeah the palm and finger parts are sitting in front of me. I might go have a beer and think about it a bit longer. lol

As I silver basecoat all the anodized red parts before applying the clear red it may actually not be as bad as I am thinking. The white should cover the silver easily enough and look solid white with just a couple of light coats.

I'm thinking of getting a Blue Frame Astray next to do in a simular way.

Mark

Looking great!

Thanks RPC.

Ok I decided to just do the palms anodized red colour and do a blended flat red on the fingers for now. I can always re-visit, as you do, at a later date. I did do some parts flat red anyway so it shouldn't look out of place.

I'm probably going to go ahead and get the Blue Frame D so it's a bit different from the red frame but still simular. Also it gets me the Aile Striker rather than another ridiculously large weapon. lol

Mark

- - - Updated - - -

Well it's mostly complete. I have some minor touching up to do and the Tactical Arms II L to complete.

I need to get my lights and stuff out so I can take some decent pics. these were taken with my Samsung Tablet.

All in all I am fairly happy with the exception of one major stuff up that I'm sure someone else can spot if they look hard enough.

This really is a very flexible model allowing for some really good posing with good solid joints that hold position well.
    Attached Images

Awesome!

Отправлено с моего iPhone используя Tapatalk

Interesting Effect on my Samsung tablet

putting some of my pics on my tab and it has a sketch effect that allows you to do this to your pics.... Kinda ok for a single click and slide edit

Mark
    Attached Images
    Last edited by Mark; May 10, 2018 at 9:27 AM.

Mission Models paints have a new chrome out. I have it and just have not used it yet. I will let you know how it looks. They also have a bunch of Metallic paints. so far the metallics look pretty good. But they might be an option for you seeing as Alcllad is so hard for you to get. They are all acrylics so you would not have that whole Hazardous material thing like you do with Alcllad II. And shipping from California should not be a big issue. Also one option for your finger masking might be this. The Molotow liquid masking pen.
    https://www.amazon.com/Molotow-Maski...id+masking+pen
    That is the 4mm version, I have the smaller 2mm and it is really nice! It is like the other liquid masking stuff in the bottle with the brush, but this stuff you can use in a pin point fashion. Nice for the little hard to reach or small detail parts.

- - - Updated - - -

One more thing the same company make one hell of a nice chrome paint pen. It take a year and a half to dry, but when it does it gives Alcllad a run for their money.

Thanks gm. The paints sound good and I'm definitely interested in hearing more on what you think of them. I still have some Alclad left and if I'm lucky, I get to go interstate for work soon and can smuggle some back.

I will get around to masking the fingers and probably adding some more fine brush detail at some stage, there are a few things that could do with improvement. I'm keen to get the blue frame going but still cant decide on second revise or D. Life is full of hard decisions. lol. Plus I keep getting distracted by other releases..... and my secret stash cupboard which probably isn't so secret stash anymore, as there are 2 1/32 SU27's that didn't fit and are now sitting on top of the cupboard..... strangely "she" has said nothing yet....

Mark
    Last edited by Mark; May 10, 2018 at 10:28 AM.

"She" is waiting for the right time to bring that up. Think of it as her secret weapon in an argument.
    "I never said anything about your Gundam habit, but you can't let me do XYZ."

Be ready, be prepared. It is coming...LOL

- - - Updated - - -

My Tiefsturmer so far is almost all done with mission model paints. No tip dry, it self levels, and is very forgiving if you get an over spray blob. So far I really like them. I hated them at first, until I got the mixture right. Now I think they are great!

The Gundam habit is hidden in the shed (workshop) so that one hasn't really been discussed... lol (yet)

It's the other one thats the problem........ LOL
    Attached Images