Welcome to the Gundam Forums.

Question MG Freedom 2.0 Hip Problem?

Hello. This is my first time on this site and I tried searching for a detailed answer to this problem but to no avail. So if I'm posting this in the wrong section or if I am asking something that has already been answered then, please, forgive me.

So, I've had the MG Freedom 2.0 kit in my possession for quite some time and I LOVE the way it looks so far. I have built the whole upper body (Head, Chest, Arms, and Shoulders) and I am about to build the waist. But I am just too nervous to due to hearing about those pegs that connect the legs to the waist BREAKING. Now, please bare in mind, I am a pretty basic Gunpla builder. I love the hobby very much and have built everything from SD kits to PG kits. But I don't customize much at all. Painting is as far as I go and even that is minimal. I just usually clean up my nub marks with a hobby knife and Gundam markers. That's as far as it goes. Not a beginner but not an expert. So how can I prevent these pegs on the Freedom 2.0 from breaking? I understand that I need to be careful with them. I got that part. But is there a way to maybe decrease the chance of breakage at all? I DID hear that you can sand down the pegs. I'm guessing that helps because it makes the pegs shorter and then there won't be as much stress being put on them? Just a guess.

Sorry about the long post but if you guys could just please help me out here with how to sand down those pegs (or whatever else you recommend) then that would be great. I have the supplies for sanding so I really just need to know how much to sand down. As you know, this is a rather expensive Master Grade kit. So I would like to keep it unbroken. Thanks!

Re: MG Freedom 2.0 Hip Problem?

This is the first time I've heard of this problem. Mine is currently sitting in it's box at the moment, but I'd say when you start builing that part and putting it together, take your time, don't rush it, and don't force it.
    "Pssssssst...Hey you...yeah you...No, THE OTHER you, yeah, YOU, see that person sitting next to you...yeah, that one right there, light them on fire."

"Cover me, I'm going stupid."

"I've seen Hockey games where boxing breaks out, I want to go to a boxing match and watch Hockey break out."

"My Gunpla work style is best described as the Hold my Beer and Watch This method."

Quote Originally Posted by SoulReaperEXE View Post
    Hello. This is my first time on this site and I tried searching for a detailed answer to this problem but to no avail. So if I'm posting this in the wrong section or if I am asking something that has already been answered then, please, forgive me.

So, I've had the MG Freedom 2.0 kit in my possession for quite some time and I LOVE the way it looks so far. I have built the whole upper body (Head, Chest, Arms, and Shoulders) and I am about to build the waist. But I am just too nervous to due to hearing about those pegs that connect the legs to the waist BREAKING. Now, please bare in mind, I am a pretty basic Gunpla builder. I love the hobby very much and have built everything from SD kits to PG kits. But I don't customize much at all. Painting is as far as I go and even that is minimal. I just usually clean up my nub marks with a hobby knife and Gundam markers. That's as far as it goes. Not a beginner but not an expert. So how can I prevent these pegs on the Freedom 2.0 from breaking? I understand that I need to be careful with them. I got that part. But is there a way to maybe decrease the chance of breakage at all? I DID hear that you can sand down the pegs. I'm guessing that helps because it makes the pegs shorter and then there won't be as much stress being put on them? Just a guess.

Sorry about the long post but if you guys could just please help me out here with how to sand down those pegs (or whatever else you recommend) then that would be great. I have the supplies for sanding so I really just need to know how much to sand down. As you know, this is a rather expensive Master Grade kit. So I would like to keep it unbroken. Thanks!
    First, Welcome to the forums!

Are you talking about this?

Source: http://dalong.net/review/mg/m192/m192_p.htm

I have the kit, and started an initial build of it and completed the hip portion. You have a couple of options:

You can drill through the hip peg and super glue a metal rod to strengthen the peg.

Or, you can also fill the gaps in the hip peg with epoxy putty, and sand smooth to strengthen the peg.

Or, you can also sand down around the circular surface of pegs until the connection between the hip peg and the leg is a little bit looser but still secure, or enlarge the leg joint by sticking something in there a little bigger. This will require some trial and error.

If you shorten the length of the pegs, it could reduce the chance of breakage, but the the connection between the joint in the leg wouldn't fit quite right.

But honestly, after building it, I can feel the tight tolerance of the connection, but I haven't felt like it would break on me through normal posing. The most dangerous part is initially connecting the hip and leg because the hip peg likes to move vertically and that unintentional force can break that peg.

Hope this helps!
    Attached Images

Thank you so much for the info (and the welcome!). So you think I'm pretty safe just putting it together normally rather than sanding? Because I do not have the tools to drill into those pegs. Nor do I have access to any putty.

Both are REALLY good investments regardless if you are customizing or not.
    "Pssssssst...Hey you...yeah you...No, THE OTHER you, yeah, YOU, see that person sitting next to you...yeah, that one right there, light them on fire."

"Cover me, I'm going stupid."

"I've seen Hockey games where boxing breaks out, I want to go to a boxing match and watch Hockey break out."

"My Gunpla work style is best described as the Hold my Beer and Watch This method."

Quote Originally Posted by SoulReaperEXE View Post
    Thank you so much for the info (and the welcome!). So you think I'm pretty safe just putting it together normally rather than sanding? Because I do not have the tools to drill into those pegs. Nor do I have access to any putty.
    Absolutely! I'm taking off and putting on the legs, and that's the only way I can see really stressing the pegs. The hip joint has great articulation, but it takes away some of the stability of the joint. Happy building!

Super Moderator

If the joint is tight, carefully pull the leg off, and sand the male peg a little.

https://www.facebook.com/Squeesworkbench

I am no longer a Moderator despite what the user title says. Please do NOT pm me with questions on how to do something hobby related or with issues with the board. Just ask in a related thread.

Thanks for all of the suggestions! So, do any other kits share this type of hip joint? And did they report the same issue? I heard some other Master Grade has this same joint but I'm not sure. It also had no poly caps. Er... "Sinanju" was it? Sorry, the name escapes me.

Super Moderator

Yea the old MG Sinanju Ver Ka version had a similar peg that would break for alot of people. This issue was fixed with the OVA MG release. Another kit that suffers from this is the peg that holds the wings on the PG Strike Freedom.

https://www.facebook.com/Squeesworkbench

I am no longer a Moderator despite what the user title says. Please do NOT pm me with questions on how to do something hobby related or with issues with the board. Just ask in a related thread.

Wow! On a PG? That sucks considering I am well aware of how expensive that PG is. Oh well. I'll just proceed with extra caution when building my Freedom 2.0. It seems like this issue isn't with everyone's kit as some people report having no problems with posing it frequently.