Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Haides' WIPs

Haides' WIPs

Hey everybody, this what I'm currently working on - an old 1/100 HG Serpent from Endless Waltz. I had been working on this for a while on and off, mostly just removing seam lines and sanding, sanding, and sanding. And sanding some more... Holy crap this kit has a ton of seams and they're uuuugggly (as expected from a kit from this era, I suppose).
    Here's the kit built OOB.

Current Progress:

So far I've just been cementing parts together and filling some holes with putty.

I sprayed the bazooka with gray primer, found some areas that needed more sanding, sanded them, and sprayed again. Already it looks infinitely better than it did in that ridiculous purple that it came molded in.

I'm also very happy with how the seam line removal turned out on it.

I cut these pegs off of the top part of the foot so that I could remove the ugly seams on the foot and still paint the pieces individually and then slide the top piece in. The notch in the bottom still holds it into the foot rather securely even without the pegs, but I'll add a little glue during assembly just to be sure.

I also noticed that the medium sized square panels from the MS Panel set are the *exact* same size as the back of the hand, so once I paint the fingers I'm going to glue these into the back of the hands. It gives some nice detail where before there was just a boring flat piece with an ugly seam. It was pointed out to me that having those panels on the hands would make it difficult to fit them into the handles of the gatling guns, so I'll probably have to sand them down some or modify the handles later, but I'm not worried about it.

Got some more done in the past few days. Still doing a stupid amount of seam line removal and sanding, sanding, sanding...

Got the thrusters painted Chrome. It came out a little spotty when you look up close. I'm not sure if I sprayed at too high psi or the area was just dusty, but it is what it is. It's not bad and doesn't really bother me.

As for going forward, I've got myself some MS Panel Builders Parts & some pla-plate I picked up from a local-ish hobby shop for adding extra detail, and a MG Heavyarms waterslide decal set. I also just got myself a Tamiya scriber, so I'm going to attempt (for the first time) to scribe some panel lines and details. This build is serving as my inspiration for this kit. While I'm not expecting to make it look that good, I'm going to do my best to emulate the awesome surface detal, and hope I can develop some skills with these things that I've never used before.

Re: Haides' WIPs

Great start! That bazooka is a beast Seam fixes are coming out great - can't wait to see more.

Off to a great start! Could you walk us through your seam line removal? It's always been a pain for me to get right.
    Oh well. What ever happens, happens.

What ever you're looking for, it's always in the last place you look.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by A_Lurker View Post
    Off to a great start! Could you walk us through your seam line removal? It's always been a pain for me to get right.
    I basically just follow Vegeta8259's tutorial on it here: https://youtube.com/watch?v=7AAIHO5IZqU
    As for sanding, I sand it perpendicular to the seam with a coarse file, then smooth it with a Squadron tools tri-grit sanding stick & some wet sanding if necessary
    Last edited by Haides; May 29, 2016 at 10:57 PM.

It's been a while since I've had any updates. I'm still working on my Serpent, but nothing worth posting any updates for yet. I have however started some of the mods I wanted to do on my Deathscythe and Shenlong kits. My goal with these is to eventually turn the 4 EW/Manga version Gundams into TV-ish versions, whether that means a ton of mods or just a paint scheme swap.

Got rid of the spikes on Deathscythe's legs and feet. Already it looks 10x better IMO.

I'll clean them up and fill in the holes later, after I figure out how I want to go about it, particularly the feet. I also started making a mold to recast the piece of the front skirt armor that my Deathscythe is missing from it's twin on the D-Hell. Hopefully that will turn out well. Last up for Deathscythe, I took this EFSF logo from the MS Emblem relief set, chopped the anchor looking parts off of it and I'm planning to use it to recreate that star/cross detail on the TV version's shield. I'm either going to have to sand the curved face of the shield flat, or find a way to make the star conform to the curved surface of the shield. Not quite sure yet.

I'm planning to make some new blades out of pla plate to replace the thick yellow ones one the EW shield.

For Shenlong, the only thing I did was chop off the top of the beam trident so that I could replace it with the beam glaive from the old 1/100. I'll prime it as soon as weather allows, but for now I'm happy with it.

I'm also planning to bring back the extendable arm gimmick for Shenlong, which will most likely require scratch building new arm sections and shoulder armor. I don't feel quite ready to tackle that yet but it's on the list.

- - - Updated - - -

Trying out designs for the shield:

- - - Updated - - -

Progress on the Serpent:

Started adding details to the feet and shoulder armor. Sculpted the stuff on the bottom of the feet and used pla plate and panels from the MS Panel set on the shoulders.

Progress on the Deathscythe:

Replacement skirt armor came out perfect, save for one little air bubble on the bottom corner that was super easy to fix with a little putty. It fits perfectly. Not bad for my first try at resin casting, if I do say so myself. I also puttied in the holes on the knee armor, though I'm not done with them yet. I also got some stuff done with the shield but I'll post pics of that when I'm done sanding.

Last edited by Haides; March 14, 2017 at 11:26 AM.

What plans do you have for those feet?
    "Pssssssst...Hey you...yeah you...No, THE OTHER you, yeah, YOU, see that person sitting next to you...yeah, that one right there, light them on fire."

"Cover me, I'm going stupid."

"I've seen Hockey games where boxing breaks out, I want to go to a boxing match and watch Hockey break out."

"My Gunpla work style is best described as the Hold my Beer and Watch This method."

For the Deathscythe or the Serpent?

I'm not sure about the Deathscythe yet. For the Serpent, I'm trying to emulate some of the mods in this build:
    http://www.gunjap.net/site/?p=91971

Sorry, forgot to be specific, I did mean the Deathscythe.
    "Pssssssst...Hey you...yeah you...No, THE OTHER you, yeah, YOU, see that person sitting next to you...yeah, that one right there, light them on fire."

"I've seen Hockey games where boxing breaks out, I want to go to a boxing match and watch Hockey break out."

"My Gunpla work style is best described as the Hold my Beer and Watch This method."

No worries. I'm thinking I have 2, maybe 3 options.

1. I keep sanding and have the toe follow the same line as the top of the foot, and basically end up with the same foot design as the other MG Wing kits.

2. I use pla-plate and/or putty to create something more reminiscent of the TV version

3. I pre-ordered Dragon Momoko's MG Deathscythe Hell TV Version. I could wait 'til that shows up, and potentially recast some parts of its feet and work them onto it.

I am so sick of sanding... lol

Finally got these thruster flaps done so that I can get the lower legs together and remove the seams on them.

I picked up a pin vise with some tiny drill bits and used them to make little rivet looking details on parts of the armor. I really like this; it's cool how such a tiny little detail can make armor look so much more believable.

Finally for the Serpent I scribed some new panel lines on top of the chest and added a piece of pla-plate detail as well. The panel lines came out rougher, thicker, and deeper than I wanted but this was my first try at this and the main reason I got this kit was to practice this kind of stuff on anyway. I tried scribing them without the dymo tape, which was a mistake (I do not have steady hands lol) but have since bought some so now I know better. All in all it could've come out much worse. The pla-plate detail looks great and I'm super happy with it though (btw the picture makes the primer on this part look really dirty. It doesn't look like that in person).

I also finished the new blades for Deathscythe's shield. They'll eventually be painted silver.

That's much better.

Sorry for not updating this thread in a while. Eventually I'll get around to fixing all the previous photos once I move them from Photobucket. I'm still working on the Deathscythe and Serpent, but they've been put on hold for a bit.

On July 20th, the lead singer of Linkin Park, Chester Bennington, committed suicide. I won't pretend like this had some profound effect on me; it's not like I ever knew the guy, but Linkin Park was the first band I ever sought out on my own, the first CD I ever bought with my own money, and they have been my favorite band since I first heard "Numb" on the radio some 13 or so years ago. They were also Gundam fans. A few master grades were featured in their "Somewhere I Belong" music video. Their "A Thousand Suns" album released with a limited edition GP-01fb HG kit. And the artwork on the "Reanimation" album featured a Gundam-ified version of the Hybrid Theory soldier.

After hearing about Chester's death, I decided I wanted to make a custom Gunpla of this artwork, as my way of honoring him and the band. I've been working on this on and off for about the past two months. I started by kitbashing a HG High Mobility Origin Zaku with the Revive RX-78, with some heavy scratch-building .

Starting with the head, I cemented a piece of pla-plate to the command antenna to straighten the angle, then cut it down to size and added the "crown" pieces to each side.

For the legs, I want to use the RX78's skirt and thigh armor for the sleeker profile. I cut some bits off of the RX78's thigh frame so it could fit on the Zaku's knee frame and extended the frame a bit using pla plate so the thigh armor could still attach securely, the drilled a hole in the thigh armor for the leg cables to attach into.

Extending the Zaku's waist got me in the ballpark of the proportions I wanted, but I think I extended it a bit too much and will probably shorten it some.

For the gun, I started with this rifle from my GM Sniper K9.

The Zaku has two extra thruster bells that aren't used, and I took one of them and slid it over the barrel, which made the perfect shape for the inner barrel of the gun.

Then I chopped the barrel, camera, and magazine off of this gun, to be attached to the Zaku machine gun. On the Zaku machine gun I chopped the stock, drum mag, and hinged foregrip off and attached the barrel part and formed the rest of the barrel out of putty. I stuck the camera on top and built the rest of the top section out of pla plate and finally attached the magazine to the side.

Then I took that hinged foregrip from the machine gun, attached that little antenna doo-hickey from the RX78's beam rifle to it to make this little detail on the right shoulder armor. The shoulder itself I made out of the RX78's shoulder, pla plate, and putty.

I made the flag by cutting out a triangular shaped piece of pla plate, and taking a hair dryer to it to warp it into the shape I wanted. Then I attached it the staff I had leftover from my scrap 1/100 HG Shenlong parts.

Also left over from the shenlong, was the top of the thigh armor, which I sanded, shaped, and filled in the holes, and eventually will become this detail on the chest.

I used the apoxie sculpt to start working on the chest. I also cut the snout off of the Zaku's head and reattached it at a straighter angle. I forgot to take a picture of the head after getting putty on it and cleaning it up.

For the backpack, I sanded the sides down flat, filled it in with putty, and drilled two holes on each side so I could insert this ball and socket joint from the Ballden Arms set to be used to make the wings. The wings I cut from pla plate, two for each wing to make it feel a little more three dimensional, then attached them at and angle and filled in the gaps with putty. They still need to be sanded and cleaned up. But this is where I'm at right now.

Things still on the to-do list:

-Finish the chest
    -Scratch build the left shoulder armor
    -detail pla-plating and panel line scribing

I want one of those lol. I kind grew up on Linkin Park too. Not like it had a profound influence but they were one of the first bands I followed and enjoyed for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Haides View Post
    Sorry for not updating this thread in a while. Eventually I'll get around to fixing all the previous photos once I move them from Photobucket. I'm still working on the Deathscythe and Serpent, but they've been put on hold for a bit.

On July 20th, the lead singer of Linkin Park, Chester Bennington, committed suicide. I won't pretend like this had some profound effect on me; it's not like I ever knew the guy, but Linkin Park was the first band I ever sought out on my own, the first CD I ever bought with my own money, and they have been my favorite band since I first heard "Numb" on the radio some 13 or so years ago. They were also Gundam fans. A few master grades were featured in their "Somewhere I Belong" music video. Their "A Thousand Suns" album released with a limited edition GP-01fb HG kit. And the artwork on the "Reanimation" album featured a Gundam-ified version of the Hybrid Theory soldier.

After hearing about Chester's death, I decided I wanted to make a custom Gunpla of this artwork, as my way of honoring him and the band. I've been working on this on and off for about the past two months. I started by kitbashing a HG High Mobility Origin Zaku with the Revive RX-78, with some heavy scratch-building .

Starting with the head, I cemented a piece of pla-plate to the command antenna to straighten the angle, then cut it down to size and added the "crown" pieces to each side.

For the legs, I want to use the RX78's skirt and thigh armor for the sleeker profile. I cut some bits off of the RX78's thigh frame so it could fit on the Zaku's knee frame and extended the frame a bit using pla plate so the thigh armor could still attach securely, the drilled a hole in the thigh armor for the leg cables to attach into.

Extending the Zaku's waist got me in the ballpark of the proportions I wanted, but I think I extended it a bit too much and will probably shorten it some.

For the gun, I started with this rifle from my GM Sniper K9.

The Zaku has two extra thruster bells that aren't used, and I took one of them and slid it over the barrel, which made the perfect shape for the inner barrel of the gun.

Then I chopped the barrel, camera, and magazine off of this gun, to be attached to the Zaku machine gun. On the Zaku machine gun I chopped the stock, drum mag, and hinged foregrip off and attached the barrel part and formed the rest of the barrel out of putty. I stuck the camera on top and built the rest of the top section out of pla plate and finally attached the magazine to the side.

Then I took that hinged foregrip from the machine gun, attached that little antenna doo-hickey from the RX78's beam rifle to it to make this little detail on the right shoulder armor. The shoulder itself I made out of the RX78's shoulder, pla plate, and putty.

I made the flag by cutting out a triangular shaped piece of pla plate, and taking a hair dryer to it to warp it into the shape I wanted. Then I attached it the staff I had leftover from my scrap 1/100 HG Shenlong parts.

Also left over from the shenlong, was the top of the thigh armor, which I sanded, shaped, and filled in the holes, and eventually will become this detail on the chest.

I used the apoxie sculpt to start working on the chest. I also cut the snout off of the Zaku's head and reattached it at a straighter angle. I forgot to take a picture of the head after getting putty on it and cleaning it up.

For the backpack, I sanded the sides down flat, filled it in with putty, and drilled two holes on each side so I could insert this ball and socket joint from the Ballden Arms set to be used to make the wings. The wings I cut from pla plate, two for each wing to make it feel a little more three dimensional, then attached them at and angle and filled in the gaps with putty. They still need to be sanded and cleaned up. But this is where I'm at right now.

Things still on the to-do list:

-Finish the chest
    -Scratch build the left shoulder armor
    -detail pla-plating and panel line scribing
    Are you using apixie sculpt sculpting clay? How do you like it? I'm looking for a alternative to milliputt.

Quote Originally Posted by Rxslinger View Post
    Are you using apixie sculpt sculpting clay? How do you like it? I'm looking for a alternative to milliputt.
    Yeah, it's great. You get a huge amount for your money, and the apoxie sculpt is great to work with. You have about an hour's working time before it starts to stiffen up. Just make sure you wear gloves when you use it because even though it still sticks to the gloves when you use it, it sticks to your fingers far worse.

@Iris, from what I can tell no one else has made a model of this mech before, so this might be one of a kind. Although it's kind of hard to tell, because even if you Google "Linkin Park Reanimation Gunpla" you just get a bunch of results for the A Thousand Suns GP01 lol