Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Re: Scorn's Workshop

the tank looks pretty good!

Thanks! It really puts the rest of my collection's lack of weathering in stark contrast lol But I'm pretty happy how they've come out so far.

Taking a breather from the tanks, I went back at that Ground Type GM. I've got it fully painted now, but it needs some weathering help. I think part of the problem is it's just got these big, flat, undetailed areas (read: every part of it :P ), so just hitting it with a wash won't help like it did on the tanks. A few people have suggested squad markings, paint chipping, and/or battle damage, and I think that's probably a good step to break up some of the flat.

Still, I think it's at least a decent improvement from the bare plastic as a start - it's a lot more cohesive as a color scheme, and it'll take weathering a lot better!

from

Ooh, good tip!

- - - Updated - - -

Well, I started trying the rain-staining, but so far it's not gone well. While I'm thinking about how to proceed, I'm working on the next piece.

I'm going for a more muted 0079, it seems, but trying to keep the bluish-green tint. GW's Celestra Grey I think is firttng the bill - it's a little blue next to a very neutral gray.

I'm trying out edge highlighting, and I think it's working ok. It's a fine line between visible and too much, though...

There we go! I'll call this one a wrap. (Other photos in the completed thread)

Found some old kits I've been looking for!

More plane work - cockpit glass, and the really, really rough blocking in of the reds. Lots of touch up in my future, but at least it's progress!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm blue, da bu dee da bu dai... I'm almost surprised how much definition it brings to the Core fighters. I probably shouldn't be, since it dominates the front end, but I am.

- - - Updated - - -

Paint paint paint paint paint paint paint...

The cockpit frames were a real pain. A few more base colors, then clean up, then shading, then highlighting, and they'll be just about done lol

I'm thinking about doing unit numbers on the side, but then I feel like I should find more decals...

- - - Updated - - -

More air wing progress! All the base colors are blocked in, finally, so it's on to final clean up, shading, and highlighting. The bases have dials to keep track of wounds during games.

- - - Updated - - -

I always dread weathering. It's so easy to go overboard, then spend twice the time cleaning up. I usually default to the "clean weathered" look here, but I really screwed up the other one trying a new technique. Still, pretty happy with this one at least lol

Next, decals. Come on, Bandai, why haven't you released a decal set for a 35 year old 1/144 kit??? Looks like I'll be cutting up about 4 different decal sheets

Finally got a game in with all the kits I've been stockpiling lol

Good times. And now to more projects! While I have to wait for decals for my planes, I'll get to work on a Guntank. Part of my biggest problem with building without spraying has been not being able to prime. It's come out ok, mostly, but I've definitely been hitting these with more coats than I think is seemly :P My FLGS is also my FLHS, so they ordered a few Vallejo surface primers for me. The black is covering better in one pass than the white, although that's true for regular paints as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Continuing my foray into brush on primers. As near as I can tell, the black primer is magic and the white is garbage. There's just no other way I can figure it out. The black does 95% great coverage in one slap dash coat, while it takes multiple heavy coats to get anywhere even kind of close with white. Plus it pools pretty bad. So, I tried mixing 1 drop black with 4 drops white to get the gray you can see on the head and soon-to-be-yellow bits. I could have gone half that ratio to end up lighter, but its already hitting spotty coverage, so that's probably the best I can do. Still, everything has a layer, so I get to start actually painting it soon lol

- - - Updated - - -

I might be getting a head of myself...

Stuck behind a damn desk now, finally off the road!!

Yes I would have to agree with you about the Vallejo white primer. Even in the AB is kind of sucks. Try the "Grey" it says that it is grey, but it is more white than grey. It kind of threw me off for a second when I first started to use it, it looked so white and I'm used to grey being a dark grey. It works much better.

List of things to do today. 1. Get a sword. 2. Name it Kindness. 3 Kill people with Kindness.

My WIP: http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...816#post274816

My built stuff:http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...eys-Big-Garage

My Blog postings. https://gundammonkeysgarage.wordpress.com/

Ooh, I didn't realize the gray dried that light - off to buy some more! Thanks for the tip

- - - Updated - - -

Wheels and vents and guns and such. Really ready for a wash. Probably going for a general darkening wash of all of it, and then a nice dark recess pin wash.

- - - Updated - - -

*sits down for casual lunch break work on guntank*
    *gets text reminder about brother's birthday party this weekend*
    *remembers plan to make a kit for him*
    *also remembers all nights this week are taken up with moving*

So, a forced speed build it is! Assembly of most parts compete, 90% of seam lines fixed. Tomorrow will be priming, then painting by Wednesday. I'd like to try to get some weathering on it, including some ideas for rain streaking I saw the other day. But we'll see where I get to lol

- - - Updated - - -

Work continues at a feverish pace! Got all of it primed. The gray is definitely better than the white, but the black is still much better. I suspect that if I was airbrushing it, the gray would be just fine.

- - - Updated - - -

Almost there! Fair bit of cleanup to do on the shield, but washes are done and it's assembled. (Potato pose....) Tomorrow will be final cleanup and weathering, plus the oil stain

- - - Updated - - -

And there we have it. The first part of the eventual diorama I'm planning on building for my brother, the Gouf Custom is done.

For a rush job, I think it came out ok. The washes didn't go as I'd really hoped, but it isn't complete garbage either. The oil splatters I think came out better, and they've got a nice semi-gloss sheen.

I magnetized the feet so it can easily attach to the MP Guntank once I make one. Plus, with the chain gun it's pretty side heavy and it helps prevent leaning :P

The guns look a bit better weathered in person, I'm not sure why the camera squashed out the gradient so hard.

Just checking depth....

If I could make a suggestion, see if you can use parts from the HG Origins RTX-65 Guntank Early type.
    "You see, there's no need to wonder where your god is. Because he's right here! And he's fresh out of mercy!"
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

"Well, what good is being a god if you can't smite some people?"
    - Epsilon Church

That's a really interesting idea - I'd been planning on converting a regular HG Guntank, since a number of parts are close, but I'll have to check out the shapes of the Early Type.

Quote Originally Posted by ScornMandark View Post
    That's a really interesting idea - I'd been planning on converting a regular HG Guntank, since a number of parts are close, but I'll have to check out the shapes of the Early Type.
    It might help as the mid-section of the Early Type fully rotates 360 degrees. I distinctly remember that one of the features of MP Guntank was that the Federation got rid of the Core Block system in favor of a simple rotating mechanism. Plus, I believe the Early Type had longer gun barrels that you could use on the MP Type.
    "You see, there's no need to wonder where your god is. Because he's right here! And he's fresh out of mercy!"
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

"Well, what good is being a god if you can't smite some people?"
    - Epsilon Church