Welcome to the Gundam Forums.

Zeta Gundam Dice RP: The Unsung Battles Discussion / Character / MS Thread

Hello friends! Here we go, the start of our dice-based Zeta Gundam RP. Here is where you'll post your characters and MS builds, and where the RP's rules will be posted.

I will be playing the role of both RP thread's Game Master, my job is to help guide the RP and story in a coherent fashion, as well as control all NPCs (Non Player Characters) you will meet. NPCs include friendly characters as well as enemies who you will have to negotiate or fight, and the Mobile Suits they control.

First of all, we'll discuss creating your character.

CHARACTER CREATION

[spoiler] When creating your character, you'll need to pose their name, gender, age, personality and so on in the following format:
    Character Avatar - (Post a pic of your character here if you like, this is totally optional and only needed for RP reasons)
    Name - Self explanatory, really.
    Age - How old you are!
    Gender - More self explanatory.
    Appearance - (Describe your character's appearance here, if you didn't post an avatar of your character above.)
    Personality - (Your character's personality! What are they goals, quirks, likes, dislikes, motivations, etc.?)
    Background - (Where did your character come from?)

Things to keep in mind: This is intended to be a co-operative RP where your enemies will mostly be NPCs, with the possibility of fighting other player characters if there is a GM-approved story reason for it (like treason, or a really dramatic friendly fire). You will be expected to co-operate with other character's PCs most of the time. If you wish to fight another PC (player character) for any reason, it must be explained and approved in thread or over PMs by the other player before it takes place in the actual RP thread.

You will be starting the RP in an asteroid base owned by the Blue Blades mercenary company, a small MS mercenary organization, as new recruits. Regardless of your age or prior experience with MS combat (if you are a OYW veteran for example), you are regarded as newbs among the Blue Blades. Your characters will have known each other before hand, as you joined the Blue Blades together, and you will be required to prove yourselves.

Your first assignment will be to pass your Combat Worthiness Finals, a combat simulation in which you all as a team will pilot your custom MSs against various enemies of increasing danger. (This will also be a way to test and introduce our Dice-based combat system, and make sure everyone is on the same page regarding how it works, and iron out any gaping flaws in the rules for it.) Afterwards your characters will be deployed in real battles, where your actions will have a lasting effect on the story and world around you.

Next post will cover MS creation and battle rules!

- - - Updated - - -

MOBILE SUIT CREATION

Now this is the really fun part. This post is to explain how you, as the player, will create your own custom MS to use in the RP's battles.

STEP 1: PICK A BASE UNIT

First you must choose a MS to use as your "base model". This will have no effect on the stats or equipment it can carry, rather, it is used for image purposes and to create inspiration for your MS's stats. You can choose any Mobile Suit, from any series of the following series:

Mobile Suit Gundam (AKA First Gundam or Gunam 0079)
    Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam
    Mobile Suit Gundam: 08th MS Team
    Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War In the Pocket
    Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory
    Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt
    Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin

The only rules are that the MS you pick MUST be from one of these series and it MUST be a Mobile Suit, not a Mobile Armor, tank, fighter, battleship, or so on. Mobile Suits that can transform into a mobile armor form are considered MS and are allowed. (Zeta Gundam, Assimar, Gaplant, Hambrabi etc.)

Mobile Suit Variations and manga from 0079-0087 are allowed; in other words anything from the OYW all the way up to and including Zeta Gundam itself.

Mecha Anime Head Quarters (www.mahq.net) is a great place to look if you aren't sure what to pick, it organizes all the MS under what series they appeared in.

Once you've chosen your Mobile Suit, you need to assign its stats. Each and every vehicle in the game (regardless of whether it's a MS or something else) has 4 important stats that determine its roll bonuses during certain actions and, by extension, how it performs in combat. These stats are:

Ranged Attack - This adds a bonus to your roll when attacking an enemy with guns, missiles, and any "shooting" type weapon.

Melee Attack - This adds a bonus to your roll when attacking an enemy with any hand-to-hand weapon, like a Heat Hawk, a Beam Saber, or even just your MS's hands.

Defense - How strong your MS's armor and shields are. Defense is a "static" stat number that does not provide any roll bonus; instead, it is what you "roll against" when trying to reduce an enemy's Hit Points (HP). If the attacker hits you, and their Attack Roll (plus bonus) is higher than your Defense stat, you "take damage" and lose one Hit Point. Your Defense always starts at 5 by default even if you don't put any points into it.

Mobility - The speed and agility of your MS. Mobility plays two roles; it makes your MS harder to hit, and it gives you a bonus during certain types of rolls, like if you attempt to ram an opponent or dodge a high-powered weapon. If an enemy MS attacks you, their first Attack Roll must be higher than your Mobility stat, or their attack misses your MS entirely. If their first Attack Roll succeeds, then they must roll against your Defense to reduce your Hit Points. Like the Defense stat, Mobility always starts at 5 by default even if you don't put any stat points into it.

Hit Points- This isn't a modifiable stat, but rather is determined by what type of vehicle it is. Conventional vehicles (tanks, fighter jets) have 1 Hit Point. Mobile Suits have 3 Hit Points, Mobile Armors have 6, and Battleships have 10. When a vehicle is hit (IE its Mobility and Defense are both out-rolled by the attacker) it loses a Hit Point. If a vehicle's Hit Points are reduced to 0, it is disabled or destroyed.

A few examples for clarity:

I want to make a Zaku II. It starts out like this:

Zaku II
    Ranged Attack - 0
    Melee Attack - 0
    Defense - 5
    Mobility - 5

Keep in mind that ALL mobile suits start with these as their base stats, no matter what model or variant you pick. Then I add my 20 Stat Points!

Zaku II
    Ranged Attack - 4
    Melee Attack - 6
    Defense - 10 (5+5)
    Mobility - 10 (5+5)

Pretty easy right? That's all there is to it.

After assigning stats, if you want you can add a description of your suit describing what features, customization and weapons it has. It's purely for fluff and helping to RP combat (which is why its optional) and won't have any effect on the actual numbers.

---

Combat Rules

Now this is where it gets interesting.

In combat, instead of taking turns, we will play by posts. The combat starts when I, the GM, says you guys are now entering combat. With my first post I will describe the environment and any enemies you are fighting and what those enemies are currently doing. All the players will then post their responses. After the players have posted their responses, I make a post describing the results of your actions and the enemies' responses to your actions. One entire cycle of this will be referred to as a round.

To simplify, one round looks like this:

GM Posts Environment and Enemies --> Players post rolls, any possible attacks, and dice roll results --> GM posts results of your actions and rolls, and describes enemy's actions.

A player can only make ONE post per round. As GM, every time I make a post during combat I will make sure to mention what round we are in so you will all know whether you can make another post or not.

Now, during your post, there is a wide variety of actions you can take. When rolling dice for an action, you always roll using a D6, or six-sided die. Not all actions require a die roll. You can take up to any 2 actions during your post:

Attacking - This is pretty simple, you describe what attack you are performing, roll your D6, add the appropriate modifier (your Ranged Attack stat or Melee Attack stat) and post the result after the description. For example:

"For my first action I take a shot with my Zaku's 120mm MG at the Gundam! I rolled a 5, plus my Ranged Attack stat of 4, which equals 9."

If your first attack roll matches or is lower than the enemy's Mobility stat, your attack misses and does nothing.

If your first attack roll is higher than the targeted enemy's Mobility stat, you successfully hit them, and you roll a second time using the same method: One six-sided die + whatever attack stat you are using, trying to out-roll their Defense stat this time. If your second attack roll succeeds as well by rolling higher than their Defense stat, the unit takes damage and loses 1 Hit Point. If it doesn't, the attack fails to damage their armor.

Depending on the context of the environment described some attacks may not work. For example, if your enemy is far away from you, you couldn't perform a melee attack, or if the enemy is behind solid cover your ranged attacks wouldn't work. Figuring out when its really just a matter of common sense and using context and the descriptions. If you aren't sure, ask me in your post.

Moving
    - With this action your MS moves to any point in the described environment you wish. You simply describe your movement, and boom, you're there. You could, for example, say "I jump up onto that ledge to gain a better sniping position", allowing you to see enemies you couldn't before.

Taking Cover - Taking cover prevents you from being attacked during the enemy's next turn, however as long as you remain in cover you cannot attack yourself. Leaving cover is a free action that does not take up one of your two actions per post. To take cover there must be an object near you that is solid enough to be used as cover and is large enough to cover your MS (like an asteroid, spaceship hulk or building). If your MS is only partially covered by the object you are not counted as being in cover and thus are still vulnerable to being attacked.

Free Actions -
    These are actions not covered by any of the actions taken above. Free actions are any action that is not covered by the above options, and do not use up the two "actions" you are granted per combat post. Examples of this include picking up an ejected pilot, opening a hangar door, or switching your Mobile Suit's weapons.

If you guys want, once you have your characters and MS posted and all the other rules are ironed out we can run a "practice battle" in here to make sure everyone is comfortable with the rules before we launch the RP thread.
    Last edited by AmbientAce; April 23, 2016 at 10:11 AM.

Go Jegan or go home.

Re: Zeta Gundam Dice RP: The Unsung Battles Discussion / Character / MS Thread

so does every suit start out with all zeros or like the Zaku 5 defense and 5 mobility? if not how do we know what the baseline stats are for the MS? and if i choose the Zeta just because it is naturally the strongest what is to keep everyone else from choosing the Zeta just so they wont have a disadvantage to me right out of the gate? it might make it a bit more fair if we say all MS have the same baseline stats before we put our 20 into them. like we got the MS whatever it is and made it a advanced and modern as we could and being in the same company that just happened to be the same level of advanced. considering how we would all have access to the exact same tools and tech and no more than that then it seems reasonable.

Zaku on kova luu.
    YOU WANT TO BE MORE THAN JUST A GRUNT? LEARN TO SEE THE BIG PICTURE!
    In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it. -Erwin Rommel
    They're on our right, they're on our left. They're in front of us, they're behind us; they cant get away from us this time -chesty puller
    http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...3-Zaku-s-WIP-s

You are correct Zaku, all MS start with the same base stats.

No matter WHAT suit, whether it's a Zaku or a Zeta, your starting stats are always

Ranged Attack - 0
    Melee Attack - 0
    Defense - 5
    Mobiity - 5

For balance reasons. Then you add your 20 points to those numbers to complete the suit.

Go Jegan or go home.

ok cool that settles that then. what about Newtypes? can i be one? sometimes i feel like a newtype in real life. especially when im showing these Army guys how Marines shoot lol. they suck so hard. and i really want to use funnels.

Zaku on kova luu.
    YOU WANT TO BE MORE THAN JUST A GRUNT? LEARN TO SEE THE BIG PICTURE!
    In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it. -Erwin Rommel
    They're on our right, they're on our left. They're in front of us, they're behind us; they cant get away from us this time -chesty puller
    http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...3-Zaku-s-WIP-s

Are MSV suits allowed?

Yes, MSV is fine.

Basically anything that canonically existed between 1st Gundam and Zeta is allowed, this includes mangas and the MSV books. I'll update that now.

Go Jegan or go home.

Stuck behind a damn desk now, finally off the road!!

What about the GP03 Dendrobium? He is kind of a kick ass weapon system.

To error is human, to forgive is divine, Luckily I'm neither of these things!

My WIP: http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...816#post274816

My built stuff:http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...eys-Big-Garage

My Blog postings. https://gundammonkeysgarage.wordpress.com/