Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Weathering/Battle Damage thread

Im kind of a noob, but Im trying to reenact the scene in 0080 where bernie turns into a burger; sadly I cant think of a way to make a realistic hole in the cockpit door. Any tips?

The Horizon Realms; for I am never where I stand

Re: Battle Damage

What kind of kit is it? And what made the hole? I'm unfamiliar with 0080.

I've use a simple hobby drill and use an Exacto (Well scalpel in my case) to add blast scoring around the edges. I've also used Green Stuff (an epoxy puddy) to give the impression of melted metal. I've seen soldering irons used as well, but I haven't tried that myself yet.
    If your interested in seeing any of the random stuff I make, please visit me Here

Quote Originally Posted by Othikent View Post
    What kind of kit is it? And what made the hole? I'm unfamiliar with 0080.

I've use a simple hobby drill and use an Exacto (Well scalpel in my case) to add blast scoring around the edges. I've also used Green Stuff (an epoxy puddy) to give the impression of melted metal. I've seen soldering irons used as well, but I haven't tried that myself yet.
    Heres the scene https://youtu.be/WIgY0ZBjkKI

The Horizon Realms; for I am never where I stand

Are you looking at putting a hole strait through a Zaku? Or just the door? Also what grade is the kit your using as a base?
    If your interested in seeing any of the random stuff I make, please visit me Here

Stuck behind a damn desk now, finally off the road!!

For my damage I have a wood burning kit with an assortment of different attachments. I then gonin with an exsacto and add explosion damage. Just a another tip. Get an old model doesn't matter what it is, I was cars tanks old plane's and practice on those before you go and attack the Zaku.

- - - Updated - - -

For blade damage my wood burner has a clamp so I can change attachments I use part of a coat hanger or a small piece of stiff wire. I let it heat up and stab the part. I gives a nice "melted" edge and the hole lines up on either side of the model.

- - - Updated - - -

I have some examples of my battle damage in my WIP.

List of things to do today. 1. Get a sword. 2. Name it Kindness. 3 Kill people with Kindness.

My WIP: http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...816#post274816

My built stuff:http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...eys-Big-Garage

Weathering for space

Ground and aquatic weathering I understand, but space weathering is a bit of a mystery.

Baring battle damage where will there be weathering?

I'm assuming around the thrusters/verniers but would there really be much? Would soot deposits be left?

Paint would chip (I assume) just like on earth but it wouldn't be concentrated on the edges since debris (what would cause the chipping) would be random.

There aren't a lot of real world examples out there. The shuttle doesn't work since it has reentry that does a number on it.

I'm not looking for heavy weathering, just planning ahead and this is a question I can't really find an answer to.

Stuck behind a damn desk now, finally off the road!!

Re: Weathering for space

my guess, and it is just a guess here. But seeing as to the fact that there is no weather in space there would not be much in the way of "weathering" to do. I thing it would be more like oils and hanger dirt or scrapping from debris like you said in random spots.

List of things to do today. 1. Get a sword. 2. Name it Kindness. 3 Kill people with Kindness.

My WIP: http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...816#post274816

My built stuff:http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...eys-Big-Garage

Well, from past experiences with aircraft (granted not space, but mass moving through atmosphere) I would agree with GDM above. You'd have streaks around the vents, along the tips, around the exhaust, you'll want your heaviest greased areas around joint areas like where flaps would be and any point area that wind would break around will be faded a little. Most of though will be paint fading due to high exposure to direct light from stars.
    "Pssssssst...Hey you...yeah you...No, THE OTHER you, yeah, YOU, see that person sitting next to you...yeah, that one right there, light them on fire."

"Cover me, I'm going stupid."

"I've seen Hockey games where boxing breaks out, I want to go to a boxing match and watch Hockey break out."

"My Gunpla work style is best described as the Hold my Beer and Watch This method."

You don't really have weathering exactly as there is no weather. However you do you paint chipping from
    Where corners or pieces rub (like shoulder pieces scratching the chest unit, etc). You'd also probably be able to get away with tiny dents in the armor. There is all that debris in a battle field that it's bound to run into several smaller pieces that aren't big enough to register from his camera to warrant avoiding.
    "I am patient, patience is a virtue, virtue is a grace, grace is a gift from God, therefore I am a gift from God."

i think there also would be a little rust. there is atmosphere in the hangar and that is where the MS is spending most of its time anyways.

Zaku on kova luu.
    YOU WANT TO BE MORE THAN JUST A GRUNT? LEARN TO SEE THE BIG PICTURE!
    In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it. -Erwin Rommel
    They're on our right, they're on our left. They're in front of us, they're behind us; they cant get away from us this time -chesty puller
    http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...3-Zaku-s-WIP-s

I agree. I think a hanger in a ship would be hot and humid dew to the lack of open air and circulation. Which would cause rust. Also you have to keep in mind many MS spend time in space colonies and the do have artificial rain which would also cause some rusting.

Super Moderator

To add to what others have said. If its something that, say, lands on an asteroid or a moon, chances are, there will be dust.

https://www.facebook.com/Squeesworkbench

Please do not pm me with questions on how to do something hobby related. Just ask in a related thread.

I'm planning for my Gelgoog 2.0. Straight up grunt build.

Dust usually accumulates in crevices and places where gravity keeps it there.

I want to have the suit show wear and tear without straight up battle damage, but it has to be realistic to me.

http://www.gunjap.net/site/?p=68907

That's my inspiration, the general mottling of the paint job and lack of decals specifically.

But I will probably add some chips and Knicks to it.

Super Moderator

I didn't feel like searching for the right thread, or making a new one. Found this video on weathering, very informative info. How to make your own washes, filters, etc, really amazing stuff.

https://www.facebook.com/Squeesworkbench

Please do not pm me with questions on how to do something hobby related. Just ask in a related thread.