Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Weathering for space

I'd you might even have little pot marks or holes from micro debris this is floating around space. Especially in orbit around the Earth.
    Getting back into Gunpla, slowly.

Resident Efreet and resident shark person.

That's what I'm thinking.

It's wrapping my head around weathering in 3 dimensions instead of just down.

All I can really provide is an example of my "space weathered" Jesta:

9IFly4A.jpg

XzS8xNl.jpg

tToJCUJ.jpg

I would say mainly focus on paint chipping and scratches from debris. Stain vents and exhausts with soot and dirt. Also pay attention to what direction you mobile suit would be flying (mostly forward) and try to angle any dry brushing in that direction (so towards the back)

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyCruiser View Post
    All I can really provide is an example of my "space weathered" Jesta:

9IFly4A.jpg

XzS8xNl.jpg

tToJCUJ.jpg

I would say mainly focus on paint chipping and scratches from debris. Stain vents and exhausts with soot and dirt. Also pay attention to what direction you mobile suit would be flying (mostly forward) and try to angle any dry brushing in that direction (so towards the back)
    Space weathered??? Damn pilot hit a satellite from the looks of that shield.
    "Pssssssst...Hey you...yeah you...No, THE OTHER you, yeah, YOU, see that person sitting next to you...yeah, that one right there, light them on fire."

"Cover me, I'm going stupid."

"I've seen Hockey games where boxing breaks out, I want to go to a boxing match and watch Hockey break out."

"My Gunpla work style is best described as the Hold my Beer and Watch This method."

Quote Originally Posted by Darzer View Post
    Space weathered??? Damn pilot hit a satellite from the looks of that shield.
    I guess I should've mentioned he was battle damaged too :P but the weathering job was meant to represent more of a space battle than any ground battle due to the lack of heavy amounts of mud or sand on the model

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddyCruiser View Post
    I guess I should've mentioned he was battle damaged too :P but the weathering job was meant to represent more of a space battle than any ground battle due to the lack of heavy amounts of mud or sand on the model

I know. Look good all around though.
    "Pssssssst...Hey you...yeah you...No, THE OTHER you, yeah, YOU, see that person sitting next to you...yeah, that one right there, light them on fire."

"Cover me, I'm going stupid."

"I've seen Hockey games where boxing breaks out, I want to go to a boxing match and watch Hockey break out."

"My Gunpla work style is best described as the Hold my Beer and Watch This method."

Re: Battle Damage

lol I'm also working on the same scene. I'm making a diorama using the HG Alex and HG Zaku FZ.

Considering it's a beam saber that is going through the Zaku, I would use a soldering iron.

That's what I use for saber slashes and energy blasts.

The saber also goes all the way through the model so I would make the entry and exit holes using the soldering iron then connect them with a tunnel using a drill bit on a dremel.

That's what I plan to do to fit the saber all the way through the hole and it should look realistic. I would make the entry larger that the exit and make the exit as if it is melting around the saber.

Here's a video I made on how to use a soldering iron for battle damage:

Weathering for dummies

I want to start weathering some of my kits, but I have no idea where to start. There's countless tutorials and paints and other such stuff, but where does one begin? I've got two old NG Gundam Wing kits that cry out to be beaten and damaged! Any recommendations?
    "It's not a mistake...it's BATTLE DAMAGE!"
    Plamobot's build thread Plamobot's trade thread

Re: Weathering for dummies

Honestly, just find some old beater kits and try everything. There's really no better way to learn how than to do. As you said, there are tons of tutorials out there; pick a couple of techniques that you think look cool, and try them out.

Re: Weathering for dummies

Quote Originally Posted by Plamobot View Post
    I want to start weathering some of my kits, but I have no idea where to start. There's countless tutorials and paints and other such stuff, but where does one begin? I've got two old NG Gundam Wing kits that cry out to be beaten and damaged! Any recommendations?
    Start with these, then a flat coat:

http://www.amazon.com/TAMIYA-Weather...ing+master+set

Re: Weathering/Battle Damage thread

I kinds just use a couple basic things. For bullet holes I drill a hole with a pin vise then wiggle an exacto knife blade and make kind of a jagged hole. Then I paint some silver in it and add a black wash. Then for like scratches sometimes I make a line of paint darker than the armor color and then on top a line of silver leaving the darker armor color showing just barely to give it depth.

I also like to use a soldering iron for my battle damage, and I have just gotten into actually painting my kits. I was wondering if damage with a soldering iron should be done before or after painting?

always before. and remember less is more with weathering and the amount of damage.

Zaku on kova luu.
    YOU WANT TO BE MORE THAN JUST A GRUNT? LEARN TO SEE THE BIG PICTURE!
    In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it. -Erwin Rommel
    They're on our right, they're on our left. They're in front of us, they're behind us; they cant get away from us this time -chesty puller
    http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...3-Zaku-s-WIP-s

Thanks!

Super Moderator

You can do it after as well if you're careful.

https://www.facebook.com/Squeesworkbench

Please do not pm me with questions on how to do something hobby related. Just ask in a related thread.