Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SEED/Destiny head writer Chiaki Morosawa has died.

She was only 56.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...es-away/.98959

I know that I'm in the minority among western Gundam fans, but I really enjoyed her work on Gundam, especially Destiny.

RIP.
    Sieg Zeon!

Re: SEED/Destiny head writer Chiaki Morosawa has died.

Bummer.

And we are both in the minority, it seems.
    "It's not a mistake...it's BATTLE DAMAGE!"
    Plamobot's build thread Plamobot's trade thread

We are the minority only in the west. In Japan, her work on Gundam is second in popularity only to UC, as it should be.

She did apparently complete writing the story for the SEED movie, although not the actual final screenplay, so perhaps Sunrise could finally get it made as a tribute to her (from what I understand, the only reason we didn't get the movie is because Sunrise/Fukuda had hoped that she would get better and write the final screenplay herself). It's kinda sad that she apparently was in recovery from the health problems that led to the movie being put on hold, only to die from a condition that is apparently not only extremely rare among women, but also seemingly unrelated to her original condition. It's just very sad.

Again, RIP Chiaki Morosawa; you will be missed.
    Sieg Zeon!

That is a real shame. I thoroughly enjoyed both series, and hope that movie will be made using as much of her script as possible, if and when it occurs.
    "What do you mean it's OUT OF STOCK/BACK-ORDERED!?!?!"

If Newtypes can predict the future, and feel their opponents intentions, how come none of them were ever able to dodge the Bright Slap?

I always thought that a lot of people hated Seed Destiny a lot more than Seed since Destiny had way more problems. Anyway this is sad. Hopefully the seed movie still happens but i'm kinda doubtful.

Our thoughts are with her family,

Too young to die, The movie as a tribute would be a nice gesture.

I have to admit I wasn't enamoured with Seed/SD but it has grown on me.

I've heard of this since yesterday, but only on an FB post and I wanted a more reliable source.
    Either way, rest in peace.
    SEED was what brought me into the franchise, so I'm very grateful to her for that.
    I collect: High Grade, SD, Transformers , Figma, Nendoroid, SH Figuarts

"I eat, watch movies, and sleep! A TRUE MAN NEEDS NOTHING ELSE!"
    Genjuro Kazanari
    Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/kotori_sonoda/

I definitely wish the best for her surviving friends and family.

I've only really seen bits of pieces of Seed and Destiny on SyFy, but I'm glad her show got a new generation of fans into the franchise. And that she kept on writing for the show even though she was suffering from brain cancer is nothing short of amazing.

I've seen people on other sites CELEBRATING this; that's incredibly disgusting.
    Last edited by Riah; February 23, 2016 at 7:25 PM.
    Ways to reach me if the site really does go down:
    Discord: BadWrongFun#0889
    Email: badwrongfun@gmx.com
    Mastodon:https://glitch.social/web/accounts/41917
    Twitter: @bad_wrong_fun

Quote Originally Posted by Riah View Post
    I definitely wish the best for her surviving family.

I've only really seen bits of pieces of Seed and Destiny on SyFy, but I'm glad her show got a new generation of fans into the franchise. And that she kept on writing for the show even though she was suffering from brain cancer is nothing short of amazing.

This I find to be absolutely sh'''y behaviour. I don't personally care much about her work and will openly critique SEED and Destiny, but i find no joy in someones death. Since i don't care about her work, i'm not shedding any tears or lose my sleep over her demise, but I also wont disrespect her memory.

Quote Originally Posted by Riah View Post
    I definitely wish the best for her surviving family.

Funny thing is the part where Destiny is generally considered to have gone off rails would've been written about the time she developed cancer. Up until that point, even the majority of western fans were extremely positive towards Destiny and were generally singing its praises. Basically, westerners only hate on Destiny because of the last quarter of the show, which was poorly written due to Morosawa's brain cancer. So in effect they are celebrating her death because they hated her for getting brain cancer.

TL;DR: Westerners only hate SEED/Destiny/Morosawa because Morosawa got brain cancer near the end of writing the show, and Morosawa's cancer is ultimately why they are celebrating her death now.

Keep it classy, Internet. Seriously, some people are just disgusting human beings. Decent people don't celebrate the deaths of people who simply wrote a tv show or two that they didn't like, especially when the reason they probably don't like said show can be traced back to a serious disease.
    And people wonder why I have misanthropic tendencies. Stupid asshats like those who are celebrating Morosawa's death are why.
    Last edited by Zeta-G; February 23, 2016 at 3:16 PM.
    Sieg Zeon!

Hear hear.
    "It's not a mistake...it's BATTLE DAMAGE!"
    Plamobot's build thread Plamobot's trade thread

A shame to lose a writer no matter what the genre. And to lose one so young in a world where people readily achieve their 80s is a tragedy. I'm sure her husband and family must be in shock, and what a loss for them.

I would like to say I was genuinely shocked, and disgusted by hearing about such things, but I'm not. After having been around the online fandom for as long as I have, the only question I had was how soon it would begin. Not even the slightest respect for the dead, nor the ones left behind, just straight vitriol, and hate.

Seed was a fantastic series, and I remember all the fans it had. Many of the kids who played the games I ran were newly minted Gundam fans because of it, and I saw a great number of them driven off by the same kinds of people who post stuff like that. The Gundam Fandom likes to devour it's own if they don't like the same universe, and it is truly sad.

People wonder why I am jaded, and argumentative when it come to things, well this is precisely why. Been there, seen this, and knew it was coming. I for one will celebrate all the works, even if I don't agree with them, or rag on parts of them that could have been better, but it's never about the fans, unless they make it so.

May Chiaki Morosawa rest in peace. May her husband, and all those mourning her passing find solace in the memories they have of her.
    "What do you mean it's OUT OF STOCK/BACK-ORDERED!?!?!"

If Newtypes can predict the future, and feel their opponents intentions, how come none of them were ever able to dodge the Bright Slap?

Quote Originally Posted by TheWhiteWolfofSolomon View Post
    I would like to say I was genuinely shocked, and disgusted by hearing about such things, but I'm not. After having been around the online fandom for as long as I have, the only question I had was how soon it would begin. Not even the slightest respect for the dead, nor the ones left behind, just straight vitriol, and hate.

Seed was a fantastic series, and I remember all the fans it had. Many of the kids who played the games I ran were newly minted Gundam fans because of it, and I saw a great number of them driven off by the same kinds of people who post stuff like that. The Gundam Fandom likes to devour it's own if they don't like the same universe, and it is truly sad.

People wonder why I am jaded, and argumentative when it come to things, well this is precisely why. Been there, seen this, and knew it was coming. I for one will celebrate all the works, even if I don't agree with them, or rag on parts of them that could have been better, but it's never about the fans, unless they make it so.

May Chiaki Morosawa rest in peace. May her husband, and all those mourning her passing find solace in the memories they have of her.
    Well said, WWoS. Although I would like to add that while it's ok to not like and/or be critical of a particular work/writer, it's not cool to be celebrate the death of someone because of those feelings. Put another way, I may criticize the writer of 00 and BF, but I would never celebrate that person's passing or actively wish for it the way people have/did with Morosawa. The appropriate thing to do if you don't like a work and the writer dies is to either say something like what Dom Tropen said or be silent. There's a line, and these asshats crossed it.
    Sieg Zeon!

Quote Originally Posted by TheWhiteWolfofSolomon View Post
    Pretty much took the words out of my mouth, and exactly what I thought when I heard it happened.

Can't say I'm particularly a fan of her work really (that said I'm only really familiar with SEED and Destiny) but my thoughts go out to those effected by this.