Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678

Thread: Tank Thread.

Stuck behind a damn desk now, finally off the road!!

Re: Tank Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom Tropen MS-09D View Post
    I wouldn't say that Sherman is any where as overrated as the T-34.

Sherman had :

-very good crew layout and escape hatches
    -solid gun that functioned well in both anti tank and infantry roles
    -standard issue radio and gyro stabilised gun, both features which didn't become standard till after the war in other nations armor
    -solid armor all around

T-34, though being solid enough, lacked many of the features that made Sherman so good. Combine that with poor reliability and abundance of German anti tank guns and you get astronomical casualties for the Soviet tankers.
    Also don't forget that the Sheman was extremely versatile with multiple variances being put out on it's platform.

To error is human, to forgive is divine, Luckily I'm neither of these things!

My WIP: http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...816#post274816

My built stuff:http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...eys-Big-Garage

My Blog postings. https://gundammonkeysgarage.wordpress.com/

To be fair on the T-34's behalf. The Germans when they first encountered it and the KV-1 were completely overwhelmed by it. The sloped armor of the T-34 was all but impenetrable to the short barrel 75mm guns of the early Panzer IVs and the short barreled 50mm anti tank guns of the early Panzer IIIs from the front unless it was at point blank range, and from the sides to I believe at five hundred yards. The KV-1 was just immune to these guns and only the towed 75mm and 88 flak guns could actually penetrate them. The biggest fault was with training or lack thereof that was the direct result of Stalin's earlier purges. This resulted in tank crews that had a total of thirty minutes to two hours of time in their tanks.
    Getting back into Gunpla, slowly.

Resident Efreet and resident shark person.

Quote Originally Posted by RileyWarfield View Post
    To be fair on the T-34's behalf. The Germans when they first encountered it and the KV-1 were completely overwhelmed by it. The sloped armor of the T-34 was all but impenetrable to the short barrel 75mm guns of the early Panzer IVs and the short barreled 50mm anti tank guns of the early Panzer IIIs from the front unless it was at point blank range, and from the sides to I believe at five hundred yards. The KV-1 was just immune to these guns and only the towed 75mm and 88 flak guns could actually penetrate them. The biggest fault was with training or lack thereof that was the direct result of Stalin's earlier purges. This resulted in tank crews that had a total of thirty minutes to two hours of time in their tanks.
    And to add to this, I've heard stories of T-34's being driven right out of the factory gates and straight onto the battlefield. No testing to see if anything worked or failed. This of course was due because of Stalin's (and Russia's in general) preference in tactics, which was that "quantity has a quality all it's own." So in other words, they just made absurdly high numbers of armor vehicles to overwhelm the opposition with superior numbers. Compounding this was the extreme amounts of Soviet patriotism that was drilled into the minds of Red Army soldiers, whom would use unorthodox tactics to take out the Germans (such as ramming a T-34 right into the front of a Tiger tank to stop it dead in it's tracks).
    "You see, there's no need to wonder where your god is. Because he's right here! And he's fresh out of mercy!"
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

"Well, what good is being a god if you can't smite some people?"
    - Epsilon Church