Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Tank Thread.

Re: Tank Thread.

Recently, I looked I've various images and the available data for Russia's newest Main Battle Tank, the T-14 Armata. The design is innovative for a tank. Unmanned turret, three main crew housed within an armored capsule inside the hull. The T-14's hull to me resembles a lengthened T-80's, it even uses similar road wheels and tracks. This I cannot fault the Russian's for at all considering this would both reduce production and maintenance. That being said, just because the hull looks like a T-80's doesn't mean it is. The unmanned turret features panels for both a hard and soft kill system to defeat both guided and unguided munitions. As stated previously stated, are housed within an armored capsule inside the hull. To provide them situational awareness, numerous cameras and sensors are mounted to the outside of the hull.
    Getting back into Gunpla, slowly.

Resident Efreet and resident shark person.

Quote Originally Posted by RileyWarfield View Post
    Recently, I looked I've various images and the available data for Russia's newest Main Battle Tank, the T-14 Armata. The design is innovative for a tank. Unmanned turret, three main crew housed within an armored capsule inside the hull. The T-14's hull to me resembles a lengthened T-80's, it even uses similar road wheels and tracks. This I cannot fault the Russian's for at all considering this would both reduce production and maintenance. That being said, just because the hull looks like a T-80's doesn't mean it is. The unmanned turret features panels for both a hard and soft kill system to defeat both guided and unguided munitions. As stated previously stated, are housed within an armored capsule inside the hull. To provide them situational awareness, numerous cameras and sensors are mounted to the outside of the hull.
    However, we will have to see if it truly is a war winning tank. In fact quite a few Russian tanks have not proved themselves to effective in combat (looking at you T-54/55). Speaking of tough tanks, here are a few tanks that are REALLY hard to knock out:

That story about the two Israeli Centurions is amazing. For 30 hours, those two tanks slugged it out with a of 150 Syrian T-62's and knocked out 60 of them. Sometimes quality is better than quantity.
    "You see, there's no need to wonder where your god is. Because he's right here! And he's fresh out of mercy!"
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

"Well, what good is being a god if you can't smite some people?"
    - Epsilon Church

There is actually a reason for this, Zeta. The Western Allies and their allies focused on making their/our tanks very tough to kill with very long range kill capabilities. The thought at the time, was to hold off a Soviet advance and wait for reinforcements. So tanks like the Chieftain, Challenger I, Abrams, and a few others are bunkers when hull down, and unstoppable juggernauts when moving. Soviet doctrine during the Cold War was nearly the same as it was during the Second World War. Overtake the enemy through numbers. Of course there were exceptions to this rule. Tanks like the Leopard 1, AMX 30, and the IS series.

Noted. Man, I would just love to pick your brain RileyWarfield when it comes to Cold War military history. And you know what? We could complement each other as a master of the ground war (you) and as a master of the air war (me).
    "You see, there's no need to wonder where your god is. Because he's right here! And he's fresh out of mercy!"
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

- Epsilon Church

-laughs a little.- Thank you for the kind words Zeta, but I am no Master. I do a lot of reading on the internet, listen a really good youtuber, and watch the Tank Museum's youtube channel.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    However, we will have to see if it truly is a war winning tank. In fact quite a few Russian tanks have not proved themselves to effective in combat (looking at you T-54/55). Speaking of tough tanks, here are a few tanks that are REALLY hard to knock out:

That story about the two Israeli Centurions is amazing. For 30 hours, those two tanks slugged it out with a of 150 Syrian T-62's and knocked out 60 of them. Sometimes quality is better than quantity.
    T-54/55 and their Chinese clone Type 59 are notoriously poor tanks. They have low profile and highly angled front armor, but are very cramped and cook their poorly stored ammo easily. Also the introduction of HEAT and High velocity penetrators made angled armor far less effective.
    Also the poorly trained Syrian conscripts where no match for highly trained professional tankers of the Israeli Army.

Once again, that is also true.

-laughs a little.- Thank you for the kind words Zeta, but I am no Master. I do a lot of reading on the internet, listen a really good youtuber, and watch the Tank Museum's youtube channel.
    As do I, but it's always nice to give nice to give compliments .
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

- Epsilon Church

I have a fun idea. Let's say the U.S. military is looking for a replacement for it's aging fleet of M1 Abrams MBTs. Now lets say we have our own vompany looking to get in on this and make ourselves a pretty penny. Basically, what I am saying is, let's build our own MBT. Let's keep it realistic, no Sci Fi technologies, and please no fitting a Russian 125mm gun to it.

I have a fun idea. Let's say the U.S. military is looking for a replacement for it's aging fleet of M1 Abrams MBTs. Now lets say we have our own vompany looking to get in on this and make ourselves a pretty penny. Basically, what I am saying is, let's build our own MBT. Let's keep it realistic, no Sci Fi technologies, and please no fitting a Russian 125mm gun to it.
    There are a lot of great things about the Abrams. Great optics, excellent target acquisition packages, great data links... but it does indeed a few issues. That Textron gas turbine guzzles like no other, and that 120mm M256 smooth-bore gun is not as accurate as the British Challenger's gun.

A few things I would do would be to replace the armor with Dorchester Armor (which is upgraded Chobham armor that the Challenger 2 fields), and upgrade the engine so that it's more fuel efficient. I say that because the M1 Abrams only has a range of 289 miles (the Merkava has greater range of 310 miles). Speaking of the Merkava, I would follow the Merkava's design put the engine compartment in front of the crew compartment and a rear escape to better protect the crew. While we're at it, let's add the Challenger 2's 120mm rifled gun.
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

- Epsilon Church

It really depends on the type of ammo being fired from the guns. We American's prefer firing depleted uranium rods at people. A smooth-bore gun is better for that. The British being British love shooting HE shells at people, a rifled barrel is best for that. However there is a far FAR more mundane reason to keep the 120mm smoothe-bore gun for this tank. You can't actually fire American made ammo out of the British gun. British ammo is a two part ammo and U.S. ammo and by extension any ammo for the Rhienmmetal 120mm is a caseless one part system.

- - - Updated - - -

Basically the U.S. would have to buy stocks of British ammo. On top of retooling manufacturing plants here to make said ammo. Little known fact, it's cheap to replace a gun, not so much the ammo.

- - - Updated - - -

Really it isn't a horrible idea, Zeta. Just practical concerns.

- - - Updated - - -

Actually, how do feel about a diesel electric engine? Run diesel on the move and electric in battle? Kinda like the U-boats.

Alright then, let's just stick with the M256 Rheinmetall gun then for the sake of simplicity.
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

- Epsilon Church

If we are building a completely new tank or a turret. We could install the long barreled version of Rheinmetall gun. Improved accuracy and penetration.

- - - Updated - - -

I just realized there are a couple of Marines we can ask about a future MBT. Hey Zaku, Gundammonkey, GET IN HERE!!!

A longer barrelled Rheinmetall gun would be great. Even more so if move the turret back a bit if we build it like the Merkava.

Also, Zaku's not going to be of any help as he was in Aviation Ordinance (arming the planes that the USMC use). Not sure what Gundammonkey did during his time in the Corps.
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

- Epsilon Church

Well crap. Anyway, the Russians look like they have taken that approach in a way with the T-14. The T-14's hull can be modified into several different configurations, like an ACP and IFV.