Welcome to the Gundam Forums.

Re: How to: stripping paint off of models

i would not try it with my kits.im cookin my gundam?why would i do that theyre hot enough!

and these are warhammer metal figures i think im not shure if it works with plastic
    Last edited by Spaceshuttle; February 1, 2016 at 8:46 AM.

Dropped by here to see if there were tips to stripping gundam kits from my botched priming/painting jobs....From my experience with Warmachine metal and plastic/resin hybrid models, I've been able to use a bath of simple green and a toothbrush to strip them, but I don't know if the gundam kits will react differently to that method.

If someone knows a good method, I'm up for hearing about it, and in the meantime I'll experiment with my usual simple green bath on spare parts to see if anything different happens.

I usually use simple green, or the kind of alcohol they use for those portable stoves that's like 95% alcohol.

Super Moderator

Did i hear right? Soaking it and running the machine overnight?! That is pretty redundant. The Simple Green will strip the paint in that time without using the ultrasonic cleaner.

I would really suggest not leaving simply green in your ultrasonic cleaner for that long. I would be wary of any effects it would cause to the seals between the plastic and metal.

My preference: Simple Green/ Purple Power overnight

Ultrasonic cleaner for 5 minutes after i scrub the parts with a toothbrush.

https://www.facebook.com/Squeesworkbench

Please do not pm me with questions on how to do something hobby related. Just ask in a related thread.

I am in a dilemma, not sure if I should strip all the paint off 5 parts of my current project after those parts got damaged by the faulty airbrush at the last stage of the project. There are 4 layers of color on the parts. Lacquer - Alclad and Testors. When the accident happened, I did not know how to strip paint off plastic, so I used sand paper to sand off the paint. It was tragic, very hard to sand, in fact, the surface became rough after sanding as I was not able to get the paint off the gloss black layer. I took primer and re-primed. I then added the gloss black layer since Testors enamel gloss black can act like a primer. I hoped to smooth off the surface but there are still roughness. Now that I've learned how to strip paint off plastic, I'm not sure if I should strip everything off the parts using purple power. That would be such a waste of my primer and gloss black paint. I actually ran out of Mr Hobby Surfacer 1000 and Testors Gloss Black because of this fiasco. Now, should I or should I not strip off all the paint? Should I just go ahead and chrome the pieces instead? Will purple power do the job? I really cannot afford another screw up.

I feel that I have the right to complain about the performance of the cheap Masters G22 aribrush after what it did to my project. I was so close to completion, at the last stage of gold coating the airbrush started to splatter. What a shame. The project is still being delayed because I am not able to find the adapter that connects my new Passche airbrush to the TC80 air compressor that was bought with the master's airbrush.

I used to use nail polish remover. Soak the part for 3 minutes then while part is submerged use a toothbrush and peal the paint off your piece. Mind you do leave the part in there longer than 10 minutes as this is very hazardous to the plastic and will make it poofy and soft. Found out the hard way with a hyakushiki and balute model years back when I attenpted to Char color it.....epic fail. I really only recommend thus as a quick emergency for impatient people

Another for Purple Power and 91% alcohol. I have found that the alcohol works better on tamiya sprays and the purple power works best for testors. I have not had purple power strip tamiya well. Tamiya sprays just fall off in 91% alcohol

That is awesome I'm gonna use the purple to strip a old zaku I totally destroyed

Purple power and an ultrasonic cleaner for me.

But I had to briefly soak some of my parts in lacquer thinner because vallejo primer is extremely tough.

You wouldn't believe it but brake fluid takes the paint off in 5 minutes. I mean holy hell I should have been doing this all along
    Last edited by Face Mcshooty; April 12, 2016 at 1:09 AM.
    "To start a revolution you need only to toss the first brick." "I gotta chair, will that do?" "Sure Johnny, that'll do. Thatll.do just fine."

For lacquer paints, like tamiya sprays, what is the best method. Purple Power is not working. Been soaking for over a week now.

Stuck behind a damn desk now, finally off the road!!

Quote Originally Posted by Okiera29 View Post
    Another for Purple Power and 91% alcohol. I have found that the alcohol works better on tamiya sprays and the purple power works best for testors. I have not had purple power strip tamiya well. Tamiya sprays just fall off in 91% alcohol
    Flyboy3394 Have you tried this?

List of things to do today. 1. Get a sword. 2. Name it Kindness. 3 Kill people with Kindness.

My WIP: http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...816#post274816

My built stuff:http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...eys-Big-Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gundammonkey View Post
    Flyboy3394 Have you tried this?
    Not on the lacquer stuff. I have the 91% alcohol so I will give a go tonight.

For tamiya acrylics I use oxi-clean and hot water, let them soak

I've also used purple power, but only took it down to the rattle can primer I used on that kit.