Welcome to the Gundam Forums.

Question HG or MG (Universal Century)

Hi I'm currently thinking what scale should I collect for the Universal Century, I notice that old MG kits on UC are not that good, and HG kits are cheaper of course and easy to find.

My goal is to collect all the lead gundams from 0079 to Victory gundam, if anyone done this what scale do you suggest to me. Please feel free to comment maybe we can help others that like me that has confusion on what scale should we get.

Thanks!

Re: HG or MG (Universal Century)

I would say MGs overall are the better choice, weak links being Alex(old and incorrect proportions) , GP01 (old, lacks detail and articulation),ZZ(incorrect proportions and poor balance), Crossbone(lots of paint details missing, random quality, some molds are better than others, mines thrash) and Victory(too complex for its own good, flimsy). Other than those, MG is pretty much win through out.

1/144 might be a bit better to go just cause of V2. Though the best option might be mix and matching. MGs of certain ones and HG of the ones you can not get a MG of til BANDAI makes em or updates em. Unless your are going for that Iori hobby shop sort of display then 1/144 is what you are looking at. Mix of RGs and HGs.

I am also beginning to think that a mix of MG and HG is the way to go depending on the model. For example, I like the Hyaku Shiki MG gold better than the 1/144 HG Gold (mirror shine). I would go for the MG if not for the fact that my Zeta is in RG 1/144 scale, hence, I will likely get the Hyaku Shiki in 1/144 and paint it (if I know how to). Initially, I had wanted to just get 1/144 HG and RG models but after building a few kits, I feel that it should be a mix. My UC collection will likely be primarily in 1/144 except for possibly the Sinanju because I am hoping to paint that in the future and a larger model is easier to paint or at least that's what I believe.
    Last edited by Nightchaser; September 11, 2015 at 8:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by futabaaoi View Post
    1/144 might be a bit better to go just cause of V2. Though the best option might be mix and matching. MGs of certain ones and HG of the ones you can not get a MG of til BANDAI makes em or updates em. Unless your are going for that Iori hobby shop sort of display then 1/144 is what you are looking at. Mix of RGs and HGs.

Do you have a picture of their display?

Now I really considering HG scale for my UC timeline collection.

Quote Originally Posted by infinity016 View Post
    Do you have a picture of their display?

Now I really considering HG scale for my UC timeline collection.
    http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/Iori_Hobby_Shop

Sorry to disappoint you, but they are not talking about a real life display.

Oh, and if you're going for HGs, remember that there's an updated HG of the RX-78-2, the Revive version. If the MK II counts, there's a revive of that coming soon also. The Zeta Gundam or the Alex MIGHT get this treatment, I assume, but I obviously can't be sure.
    Ways to reach me if the site really does go down:
    Discord: BadWrongFun#0889
    Email: badwrongfun@gmx.com
    Mastodon: https://witches.live/@fun
    Twitter: @bad_wrong_fun

Quote Originally Posted by Riah View Post
    http://gundam.wikia.com/wiki/Iori_Hobby_Shop

Sorry to disappoint you, but they are not talking about a real life display.

Oh, and if you're going for HGs, remember that there's an updated HG of the RX-78-2, the Revive version. If the MK II counts, there's a revive of that coming soon also. The Zeta Gundam or the Alex MIGHT get this treatment, I assume, but I obviously can't be sure.
    thanks for the heads up, and yes that revive version is on my list..did you know a thread or a site where we can find out the upcoming kits? thanks!

This is the fictional display of gunpla from Gundam Build Fighters. A Heads up without photos Riah how could you, lol jk. Iori Hobby Shop is like Dalong's display case only without the crowding of other MS, lol.

After being reminded of that display case... I have no choice but to make it my mission to collect every MS from that timeline.
    One thing I'd point out is that some mobile suits still don't have a Mastergrade counterpart in the Universal Century such as the Powered GM and others. For that reason if you wanted to collect all mobile suits I'd have to go with HG imho.
    Oh well. What ever happens, happens.

What ever you're looking for, it's always in the last place you look.

Quote Originally Posted by A_Lurker View Post
    After being reminded of that display case... I have no choice but to make it my mission to collect every MS from that timeline.
    One thing I'd point out is that some mobile suits still don't have a Mastergrade counterpart in the Universal Century such as the Powered GM and others. For that reason if you wanted to collect all mobile suits I'd have to go with HG imho.
    Thanks for the tip! and yes, after reading their comment and researching, I think HG is my go to scale, there was a sale in our area and luckily I got a guntank, zgok and GP01 on a really cheap price, will post sometime if I complete building and sort of customizing them.