Welcome to the Gundam Forums.

Thread: Bandai Decals?

Bandai Decals?

I have been trying out the separate decals Bandai sells for various kits and I thought maybe I got some really old dried out sheets at first, but I have tried several more.

These seem very stiff and brittle, like 50%+ break apart when sliding them off the backing.
    This kind of sucks when they are sold at a "premium" price and the chinese aftermarket decals are cheaper and seem to actually be more sturdy and often better quality in my experience. I don't think I am doing anything wrong as I seem to have good results with other decals, it's ONLY the Bandai decals that seem to do this.

Am I just unlucky? Has anyone else had similar results or better luck than I have?
    Last edited by MuGGzy; July 7, 2015 at 12:50 AM.

Re: Bandai Decals?

I've had this problem with all sorts of decals, but mainly with older decals. There are two products I use to fix this. One is from Microscale called Liquid Decal Film. All you do is brush it on. I think you use an airbrush as well. The other is Testors Decal Bonder Spray. Just spray a coat or two. The only drawback is that afterwards you have to cut out each individual decal. But other than that, they work quite well.

I have to try that! I just got one of the big Bandai DX decal sheets thinking that they would be new for sure and therefore more durable but they did the same thing, as soon as I tried to slide them off the backing (after plenty of soaking) the just started breaking into pieces. I'll get the Microscale stuff (as I use their setter and softer stuff already) and try putting a little of that on top of the decal before I try to apply them and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by goondam View Post
    I've had this problem with all sorts of decals, but mainly with older decals. There are two products I use to fix this. One is from Microscale called Liquid Decal Film. All you do is brush it on. I think you use an airbrush as well. The other is Testors Decal Bonder Spray. Just spray a coat or two. The only drawback is that afterwards you have to cut out each individual decal. But other than that, they work quite well.

Never heard of these Bandai DX decal sheets before. Took a look at them. That's a lot of decals. I have a bunch of the smaller Bandai decal sheets. I like to use 1/72 scale aircraft data and squadron decals alongside the Bandai decals because they're similar in style. Great for custom builds. http://imgur.com/a/hPj5W