Welcome to the Gundam Forums.

[RP] A Ballad of Iron and Blood

Prologue

Gulltown, The Vale, Late at Night

Pate was rudely awakened from a nice dream about a pretty wench with great, massive tits by his commanding officer Gyles. Together they served as part of the harbor watch, not the most glamorous of jobs, but at least it kept food in their bellies. Normally Pate would of given Gyles a piece of his mind about waking him from such a pleasant dream, but with the great tournament set to begin in three days, Lord Jason of House Grafton, the ruling lords of the city, had been very adamant about the city being as secure as possible. Lord Grafton had already ordered three guards caught slacking at their duties flogged and imprisoned, and Pate did not mean to be the fourth. Pate couldnt blame the Lord for being so uptight about security, with 6 of the 7 Kings of Westeros deciding to grace their city with their presence.

"Hmm, actually I think Dorne is run by a princess. Can you image that, a woman in charge? Dornishmen must be quite the pansies to allow that to happen." Pate thought with a chuckle.

Gulltown was abuzz with excitement, and rightfully so, for never in recorded history had any of the 7 rulers of Westeros been at the same location at the same time, (OOC Outside of war that is) let alone 6 of them. Some of the city, Pate included, believed that an incident was bound to happen, and that could easily lead to war, but even this could not dampen the excitement in the city. After all, it wasnt just the coming of the Kings that had Gulltown all worked up. There was to be a grand tournament in honor of King Arryn's 40th nameday, with hundreds if not thousands of knights coming to fight for glory and riches. There would also be jesters, mummers, jugglers, and all sorts of merchants. And at the end of the tourney, Lord Grafton would be throwing a great feast, to which a select few of the townspeople would be allowed to attend.

Pate however was not reveling in the excitement, for he was on his 4th night in a row of double shifts, watching the same cursed, boring stretch of harbor. He and Gyles kept watch for about an hour when Gyles announced that he had to take a shite. After Gyles had started back to their gatehouse, Pate decided to lean against a post for a bit of shut-eye. Just as he was about to doze off, he was woken up by the sound of something emerging from the water.

"Must be those blasted seals again. That is the 5th time this week they have scared the shit out of me. Well not this time, I got something for you little shits."

Pate picked up his spear and went further down the docks. He reached the end without having spotted a single seal. He turned around to make his way back to his post when he was grabbed from behind, hand over mouth. Before Pate could even think to try to cry for help, his throat was slashed open from ear to ear. As he laid dying, he heard the voices of his murderers.

"Now then go kill the other one, as quietly as I did this pathetic sack of meat. Then help me toss the bodies into the harbor. The Drowned God is going to have his due tonight, which will bring us good fortune in our mission."

"Aye Captain. I wonder if the rest of the so-called men of this land are this easy to kill. If so, the Vale would make nice addition to our Kingdom, after we get done with the North and those blasted Stormlanders that is."

"Yes, it would, so long as we pay the Iron Price for it....."

And with that Pate drifted off into another dream, one he would never wake up from.

(OOC Prologue is over, but lets hold off on opening up the chapter until this evening.)

- - - Updated - - -

Chapter One

Aboard the Merryweather, Just off the coast of Gulltown

"Gulltown....how long has it been since I have been here, two, three years? It looks like it hasn't changed much, though not much ever changes in such an isolated land as the Vale. I guess I better get below and say goodbye to the Captain and Steffon."

Ser Martyn Lannister, a hedge knight and occasional sellsword, had been across the Narrow Sea at Pentos, getting ready to serve as a caravan guard for an old merchant acquaintance when he heard about the Grand Tournament that was to be held at Gulltown. He realized that there was better money to be made fighting in the tourney, and so gave his apologizes to the merchant and found a ship heading to Gulltown. It turned out that the ship's captain was an admirer of his, having seen two of his previous tournaments, and offered to take him aboard his ship at no cost, except to give his son Steffon fighting lessons each day they were at sea. Martyn was short on funds at the moment, so he took the captain up on the offer. The situation wasnt too bad, the boy was an eager student, and better yet a respectful one, and the lessons made the journey across the Narrow Sea pass by quicker.

Martyn grabbed his few possessions from below deck, and then went up to the captain's cabin and knocked on the door. The captain and Martyn each thanked the other for their service, and said their goodbyes, with the captain wishing Martyn luck in the tournament. Martyn found Steffon at the stern of the ship, practicing his sword swings.

"Your form has definitely improved lad, remember to keep practicing what I thought you daily."

"Yes Ser, thank you for all the lessons."

"It was no problem boy, farewell."

Martyn got off the boat without taking a single glance back, despite knowing full well that the boy was watching him leave with sadness in his eyes. Martyn had avoided forming attachments to people long ago, when his parents were lost at sea. Some thought him a hard man because of this, but he felt life was simply easier that way.

"Now then, the tournament grounds should be just outside the city. I need to find a horse...." Martyn thought with a hint of sadness, since his last horse, a steady, reliable black stallion, died of a rare horse sickness just a few months ago.

With that, Martyn headed into the city of Gulltown.

Re: [RP] A Ballad of Iron and Blood

Landar had already arrived in the city with his father's retinue. He was in his lodging in the keep, it was nice enough, more than most bastards like him self could expect to see, while there were no windows affording grand views of the city, it was sizable, and well cared for. But he honestly didn't give much thought to it as he stood over a wash basin and washed his face weary of the traveling. The Bloody Vale. Far too many miles East of where I should be right now. he thought, he didn't much care for this tourney. He wanted to get back what belonged to the stormlands, and by force at that. So be it...my time will come. He let out a long sigh and dried his face off.

A large group of men came from the North, dressed in skins and looking rather intimidating. Three men were at the front from this entourage, The first of which was a massive man of 6'8" and riding an equally large horse. His dark hair and deep eyes, along with the Great Sword Ice across his back signified that this was Ulric Stark, Head of House Stark and King of the North. To his right was a younger, shorter man who looked like Ulric, identifying him as the young and excited William Stark. And Finally to the Tall man's left, Cloaked in brown and with his black locks and piercing blue eyes protruding out of the hood was Lucas Blaidd, Ranger of the House Blaidd and at this time, Man-at-Arms to William Stark. He rode atop his large dark horse, letting his Valerian Steel Blade hang from his left side as they entered the city and made there way to the Keep.

"So Lucas!" Blurted out William as they walked the rest of the way to the Keep, "What do you think of Gulltown?!" He was in an excited mood. He had never been in a tournament before and this was his first. To not only compete but to also bring honor and glory for his House and his Father's Kingdom. Lucas was less enthusiastic. He was a Ranger, Not a Knight, and was much more at home in the Wilds of the North near Wolf's Den, the Blaidd's Ancestrial Home

"I'm not really impressed. I've seen big cities in the north before Will." He said back.

"Oh come on Lucas!" He sat patting his shoulder, "Show some excitement Dear Friend!"

Lucas only grinned at Will's enthusiasm as they made their way up to the Keep...

"Ignorance is the Enemy...Understanding is the Weapon"-Anonymous

“Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.” -G.K. Chesterton.

Sword Freak

Earlier that day, a group of sixty or so riders had arrived to the keep, bearing the Lannister crest on their armor. Their leader was a tall handsome man, roughly six feet tall. He had a blond hair, so long it reached past his shoulder. But the most eyecatching detail about him was his his left arm. It was covered in silver plates, which had masterful engravings all over them.

He and his men had taken shelter at an inn, Laughing Sea Serpent. A small but comfy place, owned by and old man, in his 50s and his younger niece. She was a pretty looking thing, brown, short hair, nice lips and over all well propositioned body.
    Though it had its downsides.

One of the men, rather ungainly fellow, named Crawer, decided to take a closer look at her.........

"Oi! Young wench! Get over here!" Crawer shouted.

"Y-Yes me sire!" Girl quickly made her way to Crawer, who was sitting with couple of his buddies, at the back of the Inn.

"Me girl, me and me lads where hoping you could provide us with some, entertainment"

"I dont understand....." Before she could say anything else, Crawer had slammed her to a nearby table.

"You dont need to understand..........." Crawer pulled out his knife, and started running its tip all over the girls face.
    "Just stay still-" Suddenly Crawer felt sudden pull in his neck and found himself to be flying directly at a wall. He crashed into it face first, his nose and forehead split open.

"Ya w*nker! Who the hell dares to touch Lord Lannisters men........" Crawer found his anwer right in front off him. It was his commander, Merk Asval "The Silver Hand" .

"Crawer, Report to the Keeps law enforcer, admit your crime and pay the fine. Report back to me once your done." Merk looked at Crawer , giving him a look of disgust.

"Y-Yes me lord, right away.." Crawer quickly exited the Inn, knowing better than to argue with the Silver Hand.

Merk walked over the Girl and dropped a small sack filled with coins on her hand.

"This should cover the damages."

"Thank me lord, Your most generous...."

"I simply paid for the damages. Nothing more. Ill be at my room if someone needs me"

"Yes me lord"

Martyn approached the tournament grounds riding his new horse, a tough, young chestnut-colored stallion with a wild and unruly black mane. Surprisingly the horse merchant didnt not want to sell the horse to Martyn, claiming that while it was fast and strong, it was also a difficult beast unsuited for tournament riding and the like. The horse merchant instead tried to pitch several other horses to Martyn, but his mind was made up, the merchant eventually relented after seeing Martyn tame the horse with the gift of an apple.

"Hmm, perhaps tame is the wrong word for it. This one has been fighting me the whole way here. I think perhaps it just used me to get out from that small selling paddock." Martyn thought with amusement, for he thought the horse seemed to be clever enough to do just that.

Martyn tied up his new horse in the hitching post in front of the large tent they were using for the entry offices, making sure to tie the knots extra tight, and walked in. He approached the old man apparently in charge of the entries.

"Good day, my name is Ser Martyn Lannister, and I am here to compete in the tournament."

"Hmm, the Black Spear of Braavos has returned eh? Did you not win the last tourney melee we held here, 4 years ago was it?"

"3 I believe." Martyn replied back with modesty.

"It was a great melee you fought in my good Ser, though you did cost me a fair amount of money, betting on Lord Jason's son."

"I apologize for that."

"No need to apologize milord, I plan on betting on you this time around. Should make my money back," the old man said with such frankness that Martyn had to laugh.

"Well then I thank you for the vote of confidence. I did not here which events were going to be held. Could you please tell me?"

"Why certainly Ser. We will be opening up the tournament with the first rounds of the joust, as well as an archery contest. The following day will be the next rounds of the joust, ending at the quarterfinals, and the melee will held that day as well. The final day of the tournament will feature the last 3 rounds, then Lord Grafton will be throwing a great feast in honor of his guests, the great Kings of Westeros."

Martyn thought about it for a second. He would of course participate in the melee, his best event, one which he rarely lost. His jousting was pretty fare as well, though he did not win as often in it as he did in the melee. Martyn did not feel as comfortable with a lance as he did his famous black spear, Oblivion. Still he did buy a horse, so he might as well participate in the joust. He decided to participate in the archery contest as well, though in the 6 years he has traveled Westeros competing in tournaments, he has only ever won a single archery contest, and that was more luck than skill. His younger brother was by far the greater archer of the two.

"I will take part in all three events my friend, though I wouldnt place any bets on me in the archery contest if I were you."

The old man laughed at Martyn's own frankness. He quickly wrote Martyn's name on the lists, while his assistant drew Martyn's sigil next to it, a Silver Lion's head, the sigil of House Lannister of Silvermane, though Silvermane has long since burnt to the ground.

"Will you require anything else Ser?"

"Yes, I could use a squire if there is any available."

Martyn had never taken on a squire, due to his preference in not forming attachments, though the headaches of dealing with inept tournament squires sometimes made him wish he had. He hoped that with him coming so late, he wouldn't be left with the bottom of the barrel.

"Why certainly milord, there are several dozen of them, waiting around for a master to serve."

"So many?" Martyn said in surprise.

"Yes milord, with so many lords and Knights in the city for the tournament, there is an abundance of squires and young nobles, eager to squire for a great Knight such as yourself."

"Hmm, then if you wouldnt mind, could you get me a good one?"

Again the old man laughed at Martyn' frank, open talk.

"Yes my good Ser, I can arrange that. I will look for an experienced squire."

"If it please you, do not get me one too experienced, I have found that the older squires can be quite lazy at times, simply following a routine. The squire will also have to be good with horses. I just bought a new one, and its proving to be a difficult fellow."

"Certainly milord, I will look for an appropriate one right away. Where will you be lodging for the night? I will have him sent there."

"All the good inns will have been taken by now, and I had my fill of the "lesser" inns the last time I was here. I will sleep over there, under that tree." Martyn said, pointing off to a hill in the distance.

"Understood Ser. Good day."

Martyn said goodbye, and went out to find his new horse trying to chew through the rope binding him to the post. Martyn sighed.

"You will be a most difficult one won't you?"

The horse neighed, seemingly in agreement, as Martyn undid the knot and got on top of it, making his way to the hill where he intended to spend the night.

It took them a while, but after finally settling in, William and Lucas walked through the markets and districts, down towards the Tournament tent. They walked over towards the Large Tent. They entered William smiling as he walked towards the sign up tent, "Hello Ser..." He said waiting his turn. When he got his chance, he walked over to the sign his name on the line underneath the rather large insignia of the Silvermane Lannister. He grinned as he looked over at Lucas, "Hey Lucas, how about you sign up for this?"

Lucas groaned, turning towards William and shook his head, "No"

"Oh come on Lucas!" Said William with a joking frown, "Surely you can find more entertainment here than just playing bodyguard?!"

"I'm more content with it thank you...The quicker we return home after this the better" Lucas said.

"Could you at least sign up for the Archery Tournament?!" Asked William, "Come on Ranger, Even you wouldn't pass up something like that?" He remarked with a grin. Lucas looked at William and groaned, "Alright fine..." He said picking up a pen and signing up for the Archery Contest. He looked at the Melee, groaning as well and signing up there as well. William laughed as the duo left the tent, heading up a hill to return to the keep. On the way, Lucas looked to see a young man handling what he assumed to be an unruly horse. He paid attention and every fiber of his being wanted him to leave it alone but the way the horse was moving side to side made him impulsive.

"Excuse me, Milord, but I think your horses rigging might be a bit too tight for em...That maybe why he's acting like that...Just food for thought friend" He said as he continued on with William to the Keep for rest.

“Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.” -G.K. Chesterton.

Sword Freak

(OOC switching my PC's font to Dark Green, cuz the Yellow is hard to read)

Martyn looked down at the saddle straps, and found that the stranger was correct about them being too tight.

"Damn, I should of thought of that. Shouldn't of assumed that the horse merchant would rig this thing right."

Martyn turned around to thank the stranger, but he was already gone. Martyn got off and re-rigged the saddle. His horse gave a snort of approval, then tried to run away. Martyn quickly snatched the reins, and pulled hard to keep his horse from bolting.

"You truly are going to be a hassle eh? I will give you this, you are a rebellious one."

Again, the horse seemed to give a snort of approval, this time at Martyn's assessment of him.

"I think we figured out your name then. Rebel, how is that?"

Rebel gave a nod, surprisingly Martyn. It seems that this horse of his was much brighter than the average steed. He didnt know whether or not that is a good thing or a bad one. Martyn got back on Rebel, rode the remaining distance to the tree on top of the hillside, tied Rebel to the tree trunk, and looked up at the tree. He spotted a branch that looked big enough to hold his weight and climbed up to sit on the branch, back to the trunk, and drifted off to sleep.

Gailan paced the halls in the Keep where his family and House were staying for the Tournament. Why won't Father let me participate in the tournament? Gailan thought to himself. I'll talk to William when he arrives. Perhaps he can talk to Father and change his mind.

Martyn was waken up from his nap by the sound of Rebel neighing loudly. He looked down to see a young lad approaching the tree. The lad had short, unruly black hair, pale skin, and from where Martyn was sitting at his perch, purple eyes.

"This must be my squire. Purple eyes? I know the Dragonlords of lost Valyria often had violet eyes, but there was also a House of Westeros with them, but which one? In any case Rebel is apt to kick him if he gets any closer."

Martyn was about to call out to the squire when the boy suddenly raised his hand at Rebel. The rowdy horse did something Martyn did not expect; it quieted down and let the boy approach. The squire touched Rebel's face, and began to stroke it.

"Hmm, I did tell the old man to get me a squire handy with horses. Guess it pays to make friends with the tournament officials."

Martyn leaped down 10 feet off the tree branch to the ground floor. To the squire's credit, the boy did not show any shock at his new master's sudden appearance. Rebel however gave a snort of disapproval at his owner.

"Hello there lad, I suppose you are my new squire?"

"Yes my lord, I am. Samwell Dayne at your service, though everyone calls me Sam," the lad said in a quiet, somber voice.

"Dayne as in the Daynes of Starfall?"

"Yes my lord." Sam said in that quiet, somber voice.

"This one is quiet and reserved. Another stroke of luck. Nothing makes me more uncomfortable during a tournament than a loud and talkative squire."

"I thought I recognized your look, I met your uncle Randyll at the tournament at Sunspear. Great horseman, did he teach you?"

"He did my lord."

"Good, this one is quite the rebel, that is his name in fact. Could you fix up his rigging? The horse merchant gave me a bad one, and I could only do minor adjustments myself."

"Yes my lord."

"Call me Martyn." Martyn said, finding himself annoyed by the lad's monotone replies, despite being a quiet man himself.

"Ok Martyn. Will that be all?"

"For now yes, I am off to buy us some supper. Be back in an hour or two."

Martyn left to enter Gulltown once more.

William and Lucas entered the Main Keep, moving up the stairs to return to their quarters to fix their equipment. As they enter their apartments, they happened upon William's younger brother, Galian.

"Gal!" Bursted out William as he walked in with Lucas, who looked still sully as ever, "How are you dear brother!?" He asked with a smile spread across his face.

Sword Freak

"Well met, William," Gailan returned the greeting. "How was your venture into Gulltown?" He attempted to be cheery, but there was a hint of dismal in his voice.

"Why do you sound so down dear brother." He took one look at his brother and his face told him all, "Its about father and you wanting to join isn't it?" He asked. Lucas checking his own arms and armor seeing he would be preparing.

Sword Freak

Gailan looked down at the floor for a moment. "He says that I'm not old enough, that my time will come; his usual answers." He looked back at his brother. "He keeps pampering me like a wee babe. You were out on adventures and doing battle before my age. I want to be there with you, claiming glory for our family. If Father had his way, I'd stay in the Study my whole life. We're Starks, we're born to be on the battlefield proving our might."

William let out a laugh as he placed at hand on Galian's shoulder, "Would you believe I never loved going out when I was young? In fact I wanted nothing more than to stay in that study you despise and read my books. Then along came an older lad named Jason" He looked over at Lucas grinning. Lucas couldn't help but grin a bit even though his back was to the brothers, "and for lack of a better word...he gave me a wee push out of the door...the rest as they say is history." He turned back to Galian, "Father just wants to protect you from the dangers of the world...not to mention he doesn't want you to get hurt like I did in my day...Remember that story I told you about how I nearly lost my ability to walk after taking a nasty fall off a cliff?" I asked him.

(ooc: Bear with him, part 2 comes next lol)

Sword Freak