Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

01H's Finished Works

This will be my first time ever showcasing my finished gunpla, mainly because I feel comfy here but I'm also a little shy as well. See, I don't have an airbrush and spray cans are expensive for how little you get (damn you overspray!) so I handbrush all of my kits. My apologies up front for the lackluster photos; my camera isn't very good. Anyway, enjoy!

First up is the Katoki redesign of my favorite gundam, Heavyarms. This was my first one in several years, and the one responsible for rekindling my love of building gunpla. I decided to paint it in the (much cooler to me anyway) color scheme found in the Endless Waltz OVA. Paints used were all acrylic paints from Testors Model Master line and Tamiya and included Teal, US NAVY Blue Gray, Dark Sea Blue and Sublime Green (enamel; Model Master) and Tamiya's Flat Yellow, Flat White, NATO Black, Chrome Silver and Gun Metal. Unfortunately, one of the little antenna on the side of his head broke and I lost one of the missile pod covers on the leg, and during my "photoshoot" the wire for the ammo belt came loose (after I had initially glued it in) but anyway, on to the pics!

Next up is the Wing Gundam Proto Zero. This one I didn't paint, save for the Twin Buster Rifle, which I painted in Tamiya's Dark Sea Gray (a favorite of mine, you'll see it often) I just did panel lines (gray Gundam panel line pen) and top coat. Oh! I also painted the base too! I didn't put the decals on this one because I like the waterslides and can't seem to find any Bandai ones...

Next we have Quatre's Gundam Sandrock. I just love the look of this kit and prefer this color scheme over the one in EW. This one has the Bandai waterslide decals, but no topcoat (kinda forgot about it, lol) so this guy doesn't get an action pose because I didn't want to rub off a decal. For this one, I just painted the eyes and the vulcans on the side of his head. For this kit I tried out the panel wash technique.

Lastly, my recently completed Wing Gundam. This guy is bad looking, save for those ginormous wings. If I was more advanced, I'd have made them more like the retractable wings found in the TV version's MG kit (which I want) but oh well. I wasn't crazy about the amount of white on this kit so I changed it up a bit. Paints used for this one were again a mix of enamel and acrylic from Tamiya and Model Master. For the enamels I used: Italian Red, Insignia White and Sublime Green. Acrylics included Cobalt Blue (which was just a smidge darker than the plastic), Teal, Turn Signal Amber, a really pretty color with some slight flake in it when under light, Flat White, Gun Metal, NATO Black, and Dark Sea Gray.

I ran into a bit of a problem when doing the panel lines for this kit. I used Insignia White (enamel gloss) on the legs and attempted a panel wash using Tamiya X1 Black (acrylic) and for some reason the paint wouldn't flow the length of the line and attempts at cleaning it resulted in severe streaking. I had to unfortauntely repaint the leg pieces and just used the gray gundam panel line pen instead.

For this kit I learned how to do masking and how to use putty/cement to fill seam lines.

The internal frame, which I painted entirely by hand:

The Wings:

Weapons:

So there you have it, fellow Gunplars! I'm happy to have finally shared my works with others!

Administrator

Re: 01H's Finished Works

You certainly do these kits justice. Your hand painting skills are superb. I don't see any streaking what so ever. And the decal placement appears to be perfect. You have some really good skills at Gunpla building. Can't wait to see what you build up next.
    "Born to lose, Live to win" - Lemmy Kilmister

Your work is well-done on all of the kits and the two that you did the most work on show lots of promise. Considering what you had to work with, your handpainting results are pretty good. I can see some strokes on the HeavyArms' front skirts, as well as a couple of areas on the Wing EW (red on the lower torso and the white on the back and front crotch piece). There's also a gap on the left forearm of the Wing EW, which I guess is due to the welds?

Something tells me you'll do great with paint brands that are much easier to handpaint. Couple that with a tube of Tamiya Basic Putty to fix gaps after welds and the only thing left is to get more kits to work on.
    "Typical. If I had a sense of humor left I might find that funny. I do not, on both accounts."

wow you do really nice work. i also see some brush strokes but hand painting is a very difficult thing as im sure you know. if you get an airbrush i could see you being very good at this.

Zaku on kova luu.
    YOU WANT TO BE MORE THAN JUST A GRUNT? LEARN TO SEE THE BIG PICTURE!
    In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it. -Erwin Rommel
    They're on our right, they're on our left. They're in front of us, they're behind us; they cant get away from us this time -chesty puller
    http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...3-Zaku-s-WIP-s

For hand painting, dude, this is insane. The kits really look clean. I especially love how to Wing Gundams looks so badass.

Nicely done!

Quote Originally Posted by Dlinker View Post
    Your work is well-done on all of the kits and the two that you did the most work on show lots of promise. Considering what you had to work with, your handpainting results are pretty good. I can see some strokes on the HeavyArms' front skirts, as well as a couple of areas on the Wing EW (red on the lower torso and the white on the back and front crotch piece). There's also a gap on the left forearm of the Wing EW, which I guess is due to the welds?

Something tells me you'll do great with paint brands that are much easier to handpaint. Couple that with a tube of Tamiya Basic Putty to fix gaps after welds and the only thing left is to get more kits to work on.
    Hey thanks a lot Dlinker and everyone else who enjoyed seeing my works. Really makes me feel good. The gap you saw on the left forearm isn't actually because of the welds, but one of my first attempts at puttying; I guess I didn't put enough. There's always next time though ^^ The putty I used is Squadron's green putty. And when they say it's fast drying, they mean it - it was dry within 30 minutes of applying it, plus it sands off really well.

My next project will more than likely be the Hi-Nu Ver Ka.

Very good looking kit ya got there, genuinely good work.
    And don't worry about showing off your works, I'm a straight build peasant my self and still post my fails for everyone to see

Long time no posting here! Still working on my Hi-Nu Ver. Ka, but did finish my RG Strike Freedom a couple days ago. I just keep forgetting to post pictures, lol.

Little background on this little guy. He was originally just going to be a straight OOB build with little to no painting, some panel linning and some topcoat but I just could fight the urge to gussie him up a bit, mostly in the detail department. After some serious paint misshaps, I was able to get him back to just bare plastic and instead decided to just paint gold details on some parts (as if he didn't have enough bling already, lol) For this, I used a very small brush and Tamiya's X-12 Gold Leaf acryllic. I also used said paint for the eyes, and X-23 Clear Blue and X-11 Chrome Silver for the cameras in the head and the beam rifle scopes. For panel lining, I'd originally done a panel wash with the Gold Leaf but after trying to clean the excess, it left horrible staining on a few parts. Luckily the staining isn't very noticeable and most of it came off. In the end I just ended up using my gundam panel line pen. Panel washes hate me for some reason...

It was hard to get this guy into poses because he's so fragile and parts kept falling off. Apologies for the crappy posing, lol.

The gold leaf panel wash did come out well on the darker blue parts, however

And on the lighter blue as well.

See you next mission!
    Current Gunpla Projects: Launcher/Sword Strike updated 5/13/17: http://www.gundamforums.com/showthread.php/45905-XXXG-01H-s-Works-In-Progress

Finished Builds updated 5/12/17: http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...Finished-Works

Next Gunpla Project: ?

"Is that a dick knife? All of my wut" - Zaku

If you've been following my WIP thread, you know very well of Project Hi-Nu and how long it's taken me to finish; I started at the end of May, and finished it around the middle of September. Now, these are by no means all the pictures I've taken of him all finished, but I just wanted to give you guys a taste of how he looks all done. I'll be posting more sometime tomorrow, so keep checking for updates. I have to point out that he's on the stand in these pictures, and the arm only has two positions, so that's why he's at a slight angle. At any rate, enjoy the pictures!

Current Gunpla Projects: Launcher/Sword Strike updated 5/13/17: http://www.gundamforums.com/showthread.php/45905-XXXG-01H-s-Works-In-Progress

Finished Builds updated 5/12/17: http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...Finished-Works

(in best John Price voice from MW2) Beautiful.
    "You see, there's no need to wonder where your god is. Because he's right here! And he's fresh out of mercy!"
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

"Well, what good is being a god if you can't smite some people?"
    - Epsilon Church

Beautiful work and that purple is just fantastic. Good finish and an excellent shade that matches the rest of the colors well. The gray on the front skirts is a little iffy, though, with some rough edging.
    "Typical. If I had a sense of humor left I might find that funny. I do not, on both accounts."

Thanks you guys

Dlinker, yeah that bit was hard to mask, plus I was using that blue painters tape, and it actually took some of the paint off. So that's why it looks a little rough >.<

I can relate. I always get difficulty masking recessed areas like those. Oftentimes, I have to make the concession of using an acrylic color to paint them (which is going on top of a lacquer paint job) so I can just scratch off the rough edges.

I really love the Hi-nu, and yours looks great as well. The Hi-nu just has this vibe of being the ultimate Gundam to me.