Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hooliopaulio's WiP thread

OK, so I'm no expert model builder, but I thought I'd start a WiP thread so people can follow my progress. I'm always open to tips, ideas, and constructive criticism, so if you feel its valid then fire away. I'm very hard to offend.

I'll start off with a bit of humour. After a 9 year break from building models...

oh_sweet_jesus_thats_good.jpg

Lets build.
    Currently working on an MG GAT-X105E Strike Noir, to add to the collection below. See my progress here.

Re: Hooliopaulio's WiP thread

Hey, welcome back! I'm new in gunpla and till now for the most time building than painting , but thats an other story...
    I know that feeling so well, but I have this after every 2-3 weeks break that I have been waiting for shipping.
    I'm very curious about your future results!

Well, I finished building the rifle to warm up my modelling fingers. Some scruffy nubs need a bit more attention. And I hopefully collect my primer and paints tomorrow on lunch. Just waiting for my brushes to arrive, or to pluck up the courage to have a go at airbrushing for the first time.

20150331_230020.jpg
    Currently working on an MG GAT-X105E Strike Noir, to add to the collection below. See my progress here.

Wow that looks awesome cant wait to see more
    ::.Currently Building - MG Epyon EW::.

"It's not how many times you fall its whether you get back up"
    Vince Lombardi

Well I found a local model shop, which I like to support cause they do more than just sell you stuff. Had a real good chat with a bunch of friendly model builders, who were interested in my Assaultshroud cause they don't build stuff like that. Got some more good advice and tips from experience (much of which backed up what I already got from this forum, but its nice to hear the same stuff from another source).

Came out with some Vallejo grey primer, and 3 paints (white, dark-ish blue, and gun grey) because they didn't have all the colours I needed but I'm in no rush. I still need black, and orange, and the lighter blue for shroud (though I'm thinking I can mix it from the dark blue), and I'm probably going to mix the off white for the main panels from white with a tiny bit of the black and dark blue.

Any way, long story short, I'm ready to have a go at air brushing with the primer to see how I do. Will test my skills on the gun above, and the base for the clear action stand (I'm leaving the arm clear). Fingers crossed.

- - - Updated - - -

So, Thursday nights project was to sort out the wire cutters I'm using for clipping the part off the sprues. They were to fat to get into most pieces, so cue a trip to me dads to use the bench grinder...

20150402_081207.jpg

Then Friday, I had a go a priming the rifle with the air brush and Vallejo grey surface primer. The finish is scruffy I think, but its my first ever airbrushing, so I'm not unhappy but hope to improve. I had nowhere to put the cocktail stick in the rifle (the one spot I had found seemed OK until the airbrush blew it off!) so I had to hold it by the barrel tip. But, you live and learn...

20150404_092943.jpg

I need to work on my technique, any comments or advice welcome, but I'm guessing I just need to practice. It might be a crappy airbrush too.

- - - Updated - - -

Bit more progress Saturday night.

Airbrushed the first side of the rifle. Not bad, but need to remember to dust the parts before spraying next time.
    20150405_110206.jpg

Then I detailed the eye piece, it was painted with green from behind a few days ago, then I masked on the front with matt black. This was all done with the tip of a cocktail stick. Still waiting for my brushes to arrive, but I found the detail work easier with the cocktail stick tbh. Again, not bad but room for improvement.
    20150405_110607.jpg

All in all I'm enjoying both getting back into modelling, and taking my time for the first time ever (I usually rush through them as quick as possible).

The finish on that rifle looks pretty good, both before and after painting. Did it feel textured?
    "Typical. If I had a sense of humor left I might find that funny. I do not, on both accounts."

Quote Originally Posted by Dlinker View Post
    The finish on that rifle looks pretty good, both before and after painting. Did it feel textured?
    Thanks man. It looked spot on until I got the close up photos up my monitor. Its smoother than I thought it would be. Don't know if that's using an airbrush instead of a brush, of the new Vallejo paints, as both are now to me. I like the finish of the paint though, I did the Zeta in matt with no top coat and the finish is dull. I hope the rest come out like the rifle, but with a bit more finesse

- - - Updated - - -

Did a bit of detailing work of the rifle. Not much, was just messing around and get some detail practice in. Don't think I like it though

20150410_003701.jpg

Then last night I prepped all the head components ready for paint. All 12 pieces

20150410_212707.jpg20150410_212817.jpg

The rifle looks good, but the body can use some detail here and there to break the black.

Pretty neat how you have the head parts arranged. Certainly makes tracking which one goes where a whole lot easier.
    "Typical. If I had a sense of humor left I might find that funny. I do not, on both accounts."

Thanks Dlinker. I thought that about the rifle too, just I was worried it would look too busy if I didn't plan it properly. Will probably come back to it at some point after some ideas have bounced around my head for a bit.

- - - Updated - - -

The head is done. Parts painted, head assembled, and for the first time ever I used a wash for the panel lines. Pretty pleased with it, the photos show the scruffy detailing up though. Looks much better in real life, unless you have super eyes to pick out the crappy bits

20150411_223804.jpg20150411_231407.jpg20150411_231447.jpg20150411_231528.jpg

Administrator

Some good looking color apps on the Duel, and I love how you arranged the head for painting. Almost like an exploded view of it.
    "Born to lose, Live to win" - Lemmy Kilmister
    https://fb.me/ThWalkersMechHangar

Thanks Thwalker. It made assembly soooo easy (not that the head would be hard, but still).

- - - Updated - - -

Some slightly better pics of the head with natural day light this morning. Really showing up the scruffy wash, but as the first build in 10 years plus first time new techniques it could have gone a lot worse. Easy enough to fix down the line if needed.

20150412_091941.jpg20150412_091843.jpg20150412_091856.jpg

Im liking what you did on that gun man. Keep it up !!

Thanks. I'm having a break for a few days. Been digging all day in the garden and my hands are so sore. Gonna let them recover before proceeding with this. It will give me some time to think about further changes to the gun

The wash doesn't look that dirty, haha. What did you use for it? Acrylic or enamel?

Acrylic. Its Vallejo Umber colour wash, which colour wise is somewhere between Black and Sepia (closer to black I think). It came out really well for my first time. Was going for a dirty and used look, which is why I went for the Umber. Thought it might look more like the grime that accumulates on heavy machinery, its like a combination of oil and dust.

I think whatever it ends up looking like, I'm just so happy to be building again that I will be pleased with it