Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Beginner's guide to Gundam

Alright, how come no one has a thread of this nature? I, the Master Of Gundams, decided to create this. Someone please sticky this should it be worthy.

Gundam spans both UC and AUs.
    This is a guide that will help you.

"What is a Gundam?"
    Regardless of era, Gundams are Mobile suits that play a key role in the story. The main protagonist almost always has a Gundam.
    Gundams tend to be the most powerful MS of their era, these machines strike fear into any who oppose them. Most Gundams tend follow this base shape.

However, there are Gundams that do not.
    -Turn A Gundam

Regardless, Gundams are the machine each series revolves around. Gundam has different meanings in different series.

Now, on to series.

Gundam has both the Universal Century series and the Alt. Universe storylines.

Here all all the ones I can list off the top of my head. I will list series and OVAs.

*Still ongoing as of 3/8/15

UC
    -Mobile Suit Gundam: The origin*
    -Mobile Suit Gundam 079
    -Mobile Suit Gundam: 8th MS team
    -MSG MS Igloo
    -War in the pocket
    -Stardust memory
    -MSG Zeta
    -Mobile Suit Gundam double Zeta (ZZ)
    -Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's counterattack
    -Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn
    -Mobile Suit Gundam F91
    -Mobile Suit Victory Gundam

Before you move to the AUs, watch UC. That way you'll understand what Gundam is about and you can even spot things that are similar. Anyone who has watched 079 for example, can tell you which machine the Impulse Gundam is highly based off.

AUs
    -Mobile Fighter G Gundam*

*Mobile Fighter is different from the others. Think of it DBZ having a child with Gundam.

-Mobile Suit Gundam Wing (New mobile report Gundam wing)
    -Mobile Suit Gundam Wing: Endless waltz.
    Wing introduced Gundam to the west. Though overrated, you will either enjoy it or not. I've heard the manga, Glory of losers improves upon wing.

-Turn A Gundam

-After War Gundam X. I forgot to add this. It takes a lot of elements from the UC era.

-Gundam SEED
    -Gundam SEED Astray
    -Gundam SEED Destiny*
    -Gundam SEED Stargazer

*SEED and SEED Destiny, despite being a huge success in Japan, are loved/hated by many. They have flaws, and a lot of them but can be an enjoyable none the less. I am a huge SEED fan, personally. SEED Destiny however, will determine if you like the CE or if you don't. Stargazer however to many, redeems the CE timeline and is awesome.

-Gundam 00
    -Gundam 00: Awaking of a trailblazer*
    *It does something other Gundam series have not. Go see for yourself. To many it is perfect while to others it is a terrible way to end 00.

-Gundam AGE

-Gundam build fighters
    -Gundam build fighters try

-Gundam G No Reconguista

That's all the series I can think of at the moment. There are plenty of other side stories, novels and so on and so forth.

Also
    -Don't become too attached to certain characters. You will find out why.

Gunpla

Gunpla model kits are what saved the original Gunam 079. You can find more about them in the model kits section.

I hope this guide helps and you will develop your own tastes in series. Please don't comment here unless you are adding a series that I missed or am correcting a mistake.

We at the Gundam forums hope you enjoy your stay and Gundam in general. We also hope that you'll be saying Sieg Zeon every morning.
    Last edited by Master Of Gundams; March 9, 2015 at 2:07 AM. Reason: Forgot to add After War Gundam X.

Re: Beginner's guide to Gundam

You forgot After War Gundam X.

people didnt make threads of this anture because they tend to impose the will of their opinion on the series'
    http://www.gundamforums.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=191916&dateline=14222  50061

SETH ROLLINS IS CHAMP!

You should still include it. Allow me:

After War Gundam X
    - Another AU that takes place in a post-apocalyptic setting (think Mad Max meets Gundam).
    "You see, there's no need to wonder where your god is. Because he's right here! And he's fresh out of mercy!"
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

"Well, what good is being a god if you can't smite some people?"
    - Epsilon Church

I forgot After War. My bad.

I'll sometime perhaps add all the Manga series later on to the list and update it. Thanks for reminding me guys.

Good thread

the only Uc one I've missed is igloo, still goimg
    on zeta (zzzzzzzzzz....)

Maybe it's good also to have the shows categorized according to media format like TV series, OVA, movies, manga, and novels or would you prefer per title and all the available media format per title?

Quote Originally Posted by extend View Post
    Maybe it's good also to have the shows categorized according to media format like TV series, OVA, movies, manga, and novels or would you prefer per title and all the available media format per title?
    That's a good idea. Organize everything better and more understandable.

Quote Originally Posted by Gundam_Asgard View Post
    people didnt make threads of this anture because they tend to impose the will of their opinion on the series'
    I'd say it's less of that, and more that, the majority of people coming to a site like this are already long time fans of Gundam, or found this info out somewhere else. Neat idea none the less.

there are a lot of guides like this floating around like this.

there this slash m one.
    http://imgur.com/1zZrVou

Kotaku has an incomplete one:
    http://www.kotaku.com.au/2012/06/the...-here-to-help/

I have seen other guides similar to the /m/ floating around.
    Last edited by futabaaoi; March 10, 2015 at 6:23 AM.

Well I for one appreciate any attempts at a guide of some sort. I love gundams and I love anime but I've never gotten into gundam anime because every time I've tried to I've felt like I was starting in the middle of things and there is so much gundam stuff out there that it's impossible to figure out what order things should be watched in or if there is an order for them to make sense.
    If it ain't broke.... you ain't tryin' hard enuff.

Thanks for the guide! I just finished watching the original Mobile Suit Gundam, so I was wondering where to to go next. Zeta seems... depressing, tho.

Also, is there a thread for discussing watched series, at all?

Quote Originally Posted by Zadocfish View Post
    Thanks for the guide! I just finished watching the original Mobile Suit Gundam, so I was wondering where to to go next. Zeta seems... depressing, tho.

Also, is there a thread for discussing watched series, at all?
    If you wish to stay within the Universal Century, I would go with 08th MS Team since that also occurs during the One Year War, 0080: War in the Pocket (which is the end of the One Year War), then 0083: Stardust Memory. 0083 lays the groundwork and foundation for the events that occur in Zeta. So basically just follow the order that is listed in the original post.

Quote Originally Posted by Twitch View Post
    If you wish to stay within the Universal Century, I would go with 08th MS Team since that also occurs during the One Year War, 0080: War in the Pocket (which is the end of the One Year War), then 0083: Stardust Memory. 0083 lays the groundwork and foundation for the events that occur in Zeta. So basically just follow the order that is listed in the original post.
    Yeah. All of those OVAs happened during and after One Year War and before Zeta.

OR, you could just watch this:

http://www.gundamforums.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=191856&dateline=14157  55051
    PSN Username: Gundump