Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 99

Thread: DBZ Thread

  1. #61
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    The Dutchy of John
    Posts
    1,709

    Re: DBZ Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Zeon's RedComet View Post
    They aren't Retconning BoG, there's been things I've been reading around saying it'll even have a BoG Recap Arc. As well as a Revival of F one as well apparenty. IDK why they would when the movies do what they do quite well but who knows.
    My guess is so they can be plot important in the future. From what I understand, actually buying anime is really expensive so the movies would also be like that. Their logic might be to best tie them into the broadcast so the entire audience won't miss out.
    Last edited by Riah; July 5, 2015 at 2:05 AM.
    "So, you want a realistic, down-to-earth show... that's completely off-the-wall and swarming with magic robots? " - The Simpsons 167, The Itchy & Scratchey & Poochey Show

  2. #62
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Tel Fyr
    Posts
    31,421

    Re: DBZ Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Riah View Post
    My guess is so they can be plot important in the future. From what I understand, acting buying anime is really expensive so the movies would also be like that. Their logic might be to best tie them into the broadcast so the entire audience won't miss out.
    Yeah that's likely why, other things I've read said the Universe stuff from BoG will come in later so there'll be that at least needed.
    "I don't like jumps. Because you know if I want to fly I would be a pilot not sitting in a car"-Walter Rohrl Two time World Rally Champion

  3. #63
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    The Dutchy of John
    Posts
    1,709

    Re: DBZ Thread


    It's great just to see Mr. Satan/Hercule again.
    "So, you want a realistic, down-to-earth show... that's completely off-the-wall and swarming with magic robots? " - The Simpsons 167, The Itchy & Scratchey & Poochey Show

  4. #64
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,372

    Re: DBZ Thread

    What I find hilarious is how he regained his height that once had in the Cell Games era. He must have been hunching all this time, lol.

  5. #65
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    The Dutchy of John
    Posts
    1,709

    Re: DBZ Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Shin Starlord View Post
    What I find hilarious is how he regained his height that once had in the Cell Games era. He must have been hunching all this time, lol.
    Now I want a chart showing Vegeta's height for each saga.
    "So, you want a realistic, down-to-earth show... that's completely off-the-wall and swarming with magic robots? " - The Simpsons 167, The Itchy & Scratchey & Poochey Show

  6. #66
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Tel Fyr
    Posts
    31,421

    Re: DBZ Thread

    Pretty sure the Tallest he got was the Cell Saga, then I think he got shorter again in the Buu Saga rofl. Being Vegeta is suffering like that.
    "I don't like jumps. Because you know if I want to fly I would be a pilot not sitting in a car"-Walter Rohrl Two time World Rally Champion

  7. #67
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    The California Base
    Posts
    6,498

    Re: DBZ Thread

    So I've got a bit of a DBZ question, which of the DBZ movies are considered canon? I understand that the specials Bardock: Father of Goku and History of Trunks are technically canon, but what about the other movies like Lord Slug, Cooler's Revenge, The Tree of Might, Bojack Unbound, and others?
    "You see, there's no need to wonder where your god is. Because he's right here! And he's fresh out of mercy!"
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

    "Well, what good is being a god if you can't smite some people?"
    - Epsilon Church

  8. #68
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Manila
    Posts
    1,367

    Re: DBZ Thread

    Most of the movies are really difficult to force into the canon timeline, but I think "Bojack Unbound" is canon which happened shortly after Cell arc.

  9. #69
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,372

    Re: DBZ Thread

    Toei didn't ever release an official "canon" so whatever doesn't contradict Toriyama's manga is usually "canon" among fans.

    I can see Dead Zone being able to fit within continuity as it happens after Majunior/Piccolo Jr's defeat and before Raditz appearance.

    World's Strongest, Tree of Might and Lord Slug are ambiguous. Piccolo is on good terms with Gohan, yet if this happened before Raditz, he wouldn't have had the time to bond with him. It can't happen after, because Goku hasn't yet gone Super Saiyan, or he struggles to perform the transformation as seen in Lord Slug.

    Coola/Cooler's movies, possibly. Gohan still has his tail in the first Cooler movie, so that might throw it off a bit.

    I think we can get away with saying Android 13 and Broly movie 1 happen during the ten day rest period before the Cell games.

    As extend pointed out, Bojack Unbound has a clear standing.

    Broly movie 2 happens before Buu appears, and Broly movie 3 happens before Vegeta sacrifices himself to kill Buu. One thing that doesn't make sense would be Krillen being there, because at the time, he was stone, lol.

    Fusion Reborn, as much as I love this movie, makes little sense going into continuity. It would happen after Goku returns to the Other World. He's fighting in a tournament, yet we all know he tried to find his "dead" son at the time.

    Wrath of the Dragon is post-Buu saga, pre-End of DBZ.

    The movies we can be sure of are Battle of Gods and Revival 'F', because Toriyama had a hand in their creation. And Vegeta's younger brother was mentioned in Battle of Gods, so it's safe to assume that Yo Son Goku and his Friends Return fits in there as well.

    So... take everything other than Battle of Gods and Revival 'F' with a grain of salt?

  10. #70
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Manila
    Posts
    1,367

    Re: DBZ Thread

    I agree. I take most of the movies as fillers or fan-service shows just like most of the Naruto movies. While I have always thought that the Broly 1 movie took place during the 10-day wait before the Cell games, one thing that always bothered me with it is that Goku and Gohan aren't in their Super Saiyan forms during the whole movie.

  11. #71
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    The California Base
    Posts
    6,498

    Re: DBZ Thread

    Quote Originally Posted by Shin Starlord View Post
    Toei didn't ever release an official "canon" so whatever doesn't contradict Toriyama's manga is usually "canon" among fans.

    I can see Dead Zone being able to fit within continuity as it happens after Majunior/Piccolo Jr's defeat and before Raditz appearance.

    World's Strongest, Tree of Might and Lord Slug are ambiguous. Piccolo is on good terms with Gohan, yet if this happened before Raditz, he wouldn't have had the time to bond with him. It can't happen after, because Goku hasn't yet gone Super Saiyan, or he struggles to perform the transformation as seen in Lord Slug.

    Coola/Cooler's movies, possibly. Gohan still has his tail in the first Cooler movie, so that might throw it off a bit.

    I think we can get away with saying Android 13 and Broly movie 1 happen during the ten day rest period before the Cell games.

    As extend pointed out, Bojack Unbound has a clear standing.

    Broly movie 2 happens before Buu appears, and Broly movie 3 happens before Vegeta sacrifices himself to kill Buu. One thing that doesn't make sense would be Krillen being there, because at the time, he was stone, lol.

    Fusion Reborn, as much as I love this movie, makes little sense going into continuity. It would happen after Goku returns to the Other World. He's fighting in a tournament, yet we all know he tried to find his "dead" son at the time.

    Wrath of the Dragon is post-Buu saga, pre-End of DBZ.

    The movies we can be sure of are Battle of Gods and Revival 'F', because Toriyama had a hand in their creation. And Vegeta's younger brother was mentioned in Battle of Gods, so it's safe to assume that Yo Son Goku and his Friends Return fits in there as well.

    So... take everything other than Battle of Gods and Revival 'F' with a grain of salt?
    This actually helps out a lot. Thanks!
    "You see, there's no need to wonder where your god is. Because he's right here! And he's fresh out of mercy!"
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

    "Well, what good is being a god if you can't smite some people?"
    - Epsilon Church

  12. #72
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    North, East, West, South, and Center.
    Posts
    1,678

    Re: DBZ Thread

    oh and the final episode of DBZ is non-canon now. Battle of the Gods too that final episode and tossed it right out the window.

    Dead Zone and Bojack are like the only anonymously canon like ones before the new movies came in. DZ was actually before DBZ even started.and Bojack just has such a snug fit on its own.

    Tree of might Lord Slug are pretty super non canon because.... many things; LS has Fake Super saiyan, Piccolo alive on Earth a time after Goku knows stuff like Spirit Bomb and Kaioken but before he knows real Super saiyan and such. fact it take place on Earth at all. and ToM has the fact it takes place after the Saiyan Saga and everyone is somehow still alive, gohan has his tail back.

    Broly 3 just didnt happen... we dont talk about that mess.

    Cooler is non canon because in the show, Frieza says something that disproves him having a sibling.
    http://www.gundamforums.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=191916&dateline=14222  50061

    SETH ROLLINS IS CHAMP!

  13. #73
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    The California Base
    Posts
    6,498

    Re: DBZ Thread

    So according to you guys, the only DBZ movies that could be considered "canon" (and I use that term loosely) are Dead Zone, Android 13, Broly 1, Bojack Unbound, Broly 2, Wrath of the Dragon, Battle of Gods, and Revival 'F'.
    "You see, there's no need to wonder where your god is. Because he's right here! And he's fresh out of mercy!"
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

    "Well, what good is being a god if you can't smite some people?"
    - Epsilon Church

  14. #74
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    South Africa
    Posts
    1,372

    Re: DBZ Thread

    Gundam_Asgard, please post a reason why you believe the final episode is considered non-canon.
    I believe it's standing to be solid, as the final episode stays extremely faithful to the manga.
    Additionally, Dragon Ball Kai episode 159, which corresponds to the final episode of Z and manga chapters 518, 519 remain unchanged.

    Episode 159 aired one week before the premier of Dragon Ball Super. If it were considered non-canon, it wouldn't have aired.

    Zeta, those early movies contradict little, so if you want to consider them canon, it's up to you.
    Toriyama himself has stated that he considers the movies to be side stories from his works due to him having little involvement with it. He designed some of the characters, but that's it. I'll look for that interview in a bit and post it up here later.

    I do believe that you can accept Battle of Gods and Revival 'F' to be solid, though.
    They are extremely recent additions to the franchise, they do not contradict anything, and the author of the manga had substantial involvement with them. That is evidence enough.

    *update*
    Here is said interview regarding his stance on the movies. The interview is from 1995.

  15. #75
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    The Dutchy of John
    Posts
    1,709

    Re: DBZ Thread

    Actually that Super, RoF, and BoGs exist actually make me feel less shitty about the ending. Or at least not entirely see Goku as an asshole. This would mean that Goku didn't actually just spend years upon years upon years of doing nothing but just training with Uub until GT. Ya know, that he actually spent time with his family and friends.
    "So, you want a realistic, down-to-earth show... that's completely off-the-wall and swarming with magic robots? " - The Simpsons 167, The Itchy & Scratchey & Poochey Show


 

Similar Threads

  1. The Airbrush question thread. Ask questions here and not in a new thread.
    By Jfl0 in forum Modeling How-To, Tips, and Tricks.
    Replies: 472
    Last Post: Today, 2:49 AM
  2. Replies: 630
    Last Post: January 12, 2018, 2:15 AM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last Post: July 31, 2012, 8:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •