Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 10151617181920
Results 286 to 297 of 297
  1. #286
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Across the Stars
    Posts
    13,655

    Re: Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin (May contain spoilers)

    wait...is 4 where we meet Lalah for the first time in the Origin?

    "Ignorance is the Enemy...Understanding is the Weapon"-Anonymous

    “Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.” -G.K. Chesterton.

    Sword Freak

  2. #287
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Floating in a Void behind Time and Space
    Posts
    18,566

    Re: Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin (May contain spoilers)

    It the episode where mobile suits finally show up from what I remember.

    This is more or less just a time waster show for me. Only noticed Youtube had it up because they uploaded Zeta and ZZ to their channel. And I'm rewatching all of the Build Fighters stuff.

    Lord of the 1/144 Corps

    Captain of the 1/72 Brigade
    "The Scale of Tragedy"
    Conrad<Kahrys<Shepard<937<Nasir<Malenko<Nathen


  3. #288
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Across the Stars
    Posts
    13,655

    Re: Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin (May contain spoilers)

    IC if its the one where the badas Bugu's go into combat and (SPOILER ALERT) Doc minovsky gets fragged then yeah I've already seen it XD so basically were waiting on Ep V XD

    "Ignorance is the Enemy...Understanding is the Weapon"-Anonymous

    “Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.” -G.K. Chesterton.

    Sword Freak

  4. #289
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Posts
    23

    Re: Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin (May contain spoilers)

    Quote Originally Posted by Exia View Post
    Youtube. Official Gundaminfo channel. It's available for now.

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcAn684gBIQ
    LMAO at the first top comment

  5. #290
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    The California Base
    Posts
    6,284

    Re: Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin (May contain spoilers)

    So Episode V was released into theaters (in Japan) today, and Yas made it clear that this current arc (episodes 5 and 6) isn't the last we see of the Gundam: The Origin OVAs: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...nt-arc/.120865.
    "You see, there's no need to wonder where your god is. Because he's right here! And he's fresh out of mercy!"
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

    "Well, what good is being a god if you can't smite some people?"
    - Epsilon Church

  6. #291

    Re: Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin (May contain spoilers)

    I'm hot and cold on the Origin. I think too much energy and time (the anime started in 2015 and we're in the last quarter of 2017) has been dedicated to parts of MSG that really aren't that interesting. The One Year War is what everyone cares about when it comes to MSG and is the reason there are so many side stories (08th MS, Thunderbolt, 0080, parts of 0083) that go back to explore and add more parts to the OYW.

    The Origin just has a bad case of prequelitis.

  7. #292
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Across the Stars
    Posts
    13,655

    Re: Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin (May contain spoilers)

    TBH I think the Prequel Arc of Origin wasn't that bad. it sets up what we already know and gives much more investment into characters. Now we get to see them in action as the Origin now moves into the Main Story Arc

    "Ignorance is the Enemy...Understanding is the Weapon"-Anonymous

    “Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.” -G.K. Chesterton.

    Sword Freak

  8. #293
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    The California Base
    Posts
    6,284

    Re: Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin (May contain spoilers)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kenico View Post
    TBH I think the Prequel Arc of Origin wasn't that bad. it sets up what we already know and gives much more investment into characters. Now we get to see them in action as the Origin now moves into the Main Story Arc
    I'm you on the this. Plus, I like the political intrigue and maneuvering that the Zabis pulled off to come into power. I still can't believe that Kycillia killed her own brother, that's f**ked up. Also, I don't think that Degwin assassinated Zeon Zum Deikun as Jimba and Char seem to think; in my opinion, I think Degwin was more of an opportunist and just took control of the chaos that was spiraling out of control around Side 3.
    "You see, there's no need to wonder where your god is. Because he's right here! And he's fresh out of mercy!"
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

    "Well, what good is being a god if you can't smite some people?"
    - Epsilon Church

  9. #294
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Across the Stars
    Posts
    13,655

    Re: Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin (May contain spoilers)

    Agreed. I mean hell it was obvious (at least to me) that Daikum was a workaholic and didn't exactly make his health a priority one (even if he was in shape XD) I think he just gave it too much and his body just couldn't cash the check he was writing. As for Degwin, I agree, I think in Origin, he's portrayed more of an opportunist than a scheming dictator in waiting. I think it showed his foresight, he knew that there would not only a power vacuum in Daikun's wake but also political chaos. On top of that the Feds would have seen this as a golden goose for them to crack down harder than before. So Zabi, as portrayed in both the Origin Manga and here, had to make a choice: Either let the Feddies or God forbid someone worse use this as an excuse to persecute Side 3 and other colonies more, or grab power and restore order and be branded as a scheming mastermind behind the scenes. TBH it kind of makes him more sympathetic. Though it still makes you scratch your head how the hell a man like him produced vicious offspring like Gihren and Kycillia XD

    "Ignorance is the Enemy...Understanding is the Weapon"-Anonymous

    “Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.” -G.K. Chesterton.

    Sword Freak

  10. #295

    Re: Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin (May contain spoilers)

    Quote Originally Posted by Kenico View Post
    TBH I think the Prequel Arc of Origin wasn't that bad. it sets up what we already know and gives much more investment into characters. Now we get to see them in action as the Origin now moves into the Main Story Arc
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    I'm you on the this. Plus, I like the political intrigue and maneuvering that the Zabis pulled off to come into power. I still can't believe that Kycillia killed her own brother, that's f**ked up. Also, I don't think that Degwin assassinated Zeon Zum Deikun as Jimba and Char seem to think; in my opinion, I think Degwin was more of an opportunist and just took control of the chaos that was spiraling out of control around Side 3.
    The issue I have with The Origin is two-fold.

    1. Prequelitis
    The show runners overindulge in exploring the backstory of the most popular character of the franchise. Of the 4 episodes we can watch currently (I know there are 5 out), only 1 of them felt like a Gundam episode. That was episode 4.
    Episode 1 was Deikum's fall and Casval and Artesia's escape to Earth.
    Episode 2 was Casval and Artesia living on Earth and then moving Texas colony to live as civillians, until Casval leaves.
    Episode 3 was Casval's (now Char) academy days. Where, unsurprisingly, Char excels at everything he does.

    With each episode being between an hour and an hour and 8 minutes, that's roughly 3 episodes worth for a normal Gundam show. Episode 1 and 2 of Origin could've been condensed into 1 episode. Char's academy days and the growing unrest between the Colonies and the Fed, was okay. Things don't start moving until episode 4, like I said.

    Add in the pointless cameos of major and minor MSG characters, sub-plots that aren't going to matter until MSG, I noticed there is a lot of fat that could've been trimmed in this production. If you've seen the Hobbit Trilogy, then you get an idea of what I'm talking about.


    Which leads to my next point.


    2. Prequels Come First?

    The Origin isn't a good place to start if you wanted to jump into the the main UC timeline or Gundam in general. Most of the references and the presentation of the story assumes you've already watched MSG. It's like The Magician's Nephew from the Narnia series. It was the second to last book the author wrote, but publishers put it before the first book the author scribed (Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe) because of the chain of events. At times the show feels less like it's own story, and more like a commercial for another show.


    However, the power and politics of the Zabi family, the creation of mobile suits, the Zeon war machine ramping up and seeing Char maneuver himself up the ranks is all really solid.


    This is why I'm hot and cold on The Origin.


    As for Deikum's death, presumably he was poisoned slowly over time and finally succumbed when he was going to give his speech. The guy seemed like a work-a-holic before he ever met Astraia at the night club. It's obvious Degwin intended to martyr Deikum and insert himself into a place of political fortitude. Naming the movement Zeon, after Deikum, only increased his influence over spacenoids and Side 3.
    Last edited by Amuro Aznable; September 4, 2017 at 1:13 AM.

  11. #296
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    The California Base
    Posts
    6,284

    Re: Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin (May contain spoilers)

    Quote Originally Posted by Amuro Aznable View Post
    The issue I have with The Origin is two-fold.

    1. Prequelitis
    The show runners overindulge in exploring the backstory of the most popular character of the franchise. Of the 4 episodes we can watch currently (I know there are 5 out), only 1 of them felt like a Gundam episode. That was episode 4.
    Episode 1 was Deikum's fall and Casval and Artesia's escape to Earth.
    Episode 2 was Casval and Artesia living on Earth and then moving Texas colony to live as civillians, until Casval leaves.
    Episode 3 was Casval's (now Char) academy days. Where, unsurprisingly, Char excels at everything he does.

    With each episode being between an hour and an hour and 8 minutes, that's roughly 3 episodes worth for a normal Gundam show. Episode 1 and 2 of Origin could've been condensed into 1 episode. Char's academy days and the growing unrest between the Colonies and the Fed, was okay. Things don't start moving until episode 4, like I said.

    Add in the pointless cameos of major and minor MSG characters, sub-plots that aren't going to matter until MSG, I noticed there is a lot of fat that could've been trimmed in this production. If you've seen the Hobbit Trilogy, then you get an idea of what I'm talking about.


    Which leads to my next point.


    2. Prequels Come First?

    The Origin isn't a good place to start if you wanted to jump into the the main UC timeline or Gundam in general. Most of the references and the presentation of the story assumes you've already watched MSG. It's like The Magician's Nephew from the Narnia series. It was the second to last book the author wrote, but publishers put it before the first book the author scribed (Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe) because of the chain of events. At times the show feels less like it's own story, and more like a commercial for another show.


    However, the power and politics of the Zabi family, the creation of mobile suits, the Zeon war machine ramping up and seeing Char maneuver himself up the ranks is all really solid.


    This is why I'm hot and cold on The Origin.


    As for Deikum's death, presumably he was poisoned slowly over time and finally succumbed when he was going to give his speech. The guy seemed like a work-a-holic before he ever met Astraia at the night club. It's obvious Degwin intended to martyr Deikum and insert himself into a place of political fortitude. Naming the movement Zeon, after Deikum, only increased his influence over spacenoids and Side 3.
    I can definitely understand where your criticism is coming from; I do believe that they could've (and should've) trimmed it down a bit. An accurate comparison (at least for me) is like watching the Prequel Trilogy of the Star Wars Saga without watching and understanding the Original Trilogy. The way I would watch The Origin is watch the first two Compilation Movies, watch The Origin, and then finish with Encounters in Space. The manga volumes are almost set up in the same way. I call this the Machete Viewing of Gundam.
    "You see, there's no need to wonder where your god is. Because he's right here! And he's fresh out of mercy!"
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

    "Well, what good is being a god if you can't smite some people?"
    - Epsilon Church

  12. #297
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Lonely Driving
    Posts
    31,072

    Re: Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin (May contain spoilers)

    Quote Originally Posted by Amuro Aznable View Post
    The issue I have with The Origin is two-fold.

    1. Prequelitis
    The show runners overindulge in exploring the backstory of the most popular character of the franchise. Of the 4 episodes we can watch currently (I know there are 5 out), only 1 of them felt like a Gundam episode. That was episode 4.
    Episode 1 was Deikum's fall and Casval and Artesia's escape to Earth.
    Episode 2 was Casval and Artesia living on Earth and then moving Texas colony to live as civillians, until Casval leaves.
    Episode 3 was Casval's (now Char) academy days. Where, unsurprisingly, Char excels at everything he does.

    With each episode being between an hour and an hour and 8 minutes, that's roughly 3 episodes worth for a normal Gundam show. Episode 1 and 2 of Origin could've been condensed into 1 episode. Char's academy days and the growing unrest between the Colonies and the Fed, was okay. Things don't start moving until episode 4, like I said.

    Add in the pointless cameos of major and minor MSG characters, sub-plots that aren't going to matter until MSG, I noticed there is a lot of fat that could've been trimmed in this production. If you've seen the Hobbit Trilogy, then you get an idea of what I'm talking about.


    Which leads to my next point.


    2. Prequels Come First?

    The Origin isn't a good place to start if you wanted to jump into the the main UC timeline or Gundam in general. Most of the references and the presentation of the story assumes you've already watched MSG. It's like The Magician's Nephew from the Narnia series. It was the second to last book the author wrote, but publishers put it before the first book the author scribed (Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe) because of the chain of events. At times the show feels less like it's own story, and more like a commercial for another show.


    However, the power and politics of the Zabi family, the creation of mobile suits, the Zeon war machine ramping up and seeing Char maneuver himself up the ranks is all really solid.


    This is why I'm hot and cold on The Origin.


    As for Deikum's death, presumably he was poisoned slowly over time and finally succumbed when he was going to give his speech. The guy seemed like a work-a-holic before he ever met Astraia at the night club. It's obvious Degwin intended to martyr Deikum and insert himself into a place of political fortitude. Naming the movement Zeon, after Deikum, only increased his influence over spacenoids and Side 3.
    I can agree with most things under your first point honestly. Most of my issues though lie more specifically with everything regarding Char (probably going to refrain from getting into that too much for fear of breaking off into a tangent), but pacing as a whole is an issue as well, it worked better in the manga, from a pacing standpoint at least writing was about the same, by the virtue of being a manga, which it honestly feels like the OVA is paced like manga still. As for the char thing I mentioned, that basically comes from it just elevating him to a status of too much importance, and yes I know he was one of the main characters of not only 0079 but early UC as a whole, but still some things are just pushing it and this is coming from me of all people. That said it's not all bad though and the stuff not involving him has all been mostly good IMO, though yeah they probably could of trimmed it down to fewer episodes, take the hour format, make it an hour and a half and Episode, or just over an hour even, and like you said, episodes one and two probably could, and should of, been merged.

    As for the second point I really can't agree, I don't see the issue with it needing 0079 for context when it pretty much exists and it is marketed too people who have seen it already, it's basically a fanservice OVA in that regard, not meant to be an entry point for new people.
    Glorious Quadrajet Carb, folded over one bajillion times.


 

Similar Threads

  1. Mobile Suit Gundam: Mobile Core (MSG:MC)
    By Twitch in forum Fan Fiction
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: October 23, 2014, 6:14 AM
  2. Mobile suit Gundam fan, but not a fan of being mobile.
    By Slothra in forum Member Introductions
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: September 23, 2014, 8:51 AM
  3. Mobile Suit : Gundam [The Origin] {Vertical Hard Covers}
    By Prickly_Goo in forum Cool Gundam Stuff
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: March 23, 2014, 2:38 AM
  4. Mobile Suit Gundam DVD's Vol 1-10
    By Joe in forum Parts Utopia
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: February 9, 2012, 5:53 PM
  5. Favorite Mobile Suit/Gundam/Mobile Armor
    By GNzaku0023 in forum The Gundam Universe
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: October 22, 2010, 4:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •