0 0%
  • Mackenzie Calhoun (New Frontier)

1 6.67%
  • Other (see comments)

0 0%
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Star Trek

Re: Star Trek

I like Roddenberry's perfect humans; they set a high standard for real humans to attempt to reach.

As for the Bajorans, I mostly found them annoying. Ro was awesome (like why she wears the earring on the wrong side), and Kira gets better as DS9 goes on, but overall I thought that the Bajoran religion was the weakest part of DS9. The Bajoran post-occupation rebuilding stuff was far more interesting. That said, the Bajoran religion did allow DS9 talk about issues that Star Trek otherwise wouldn't (see: DS9's S1 finale for example), so that's a plus. And DS9 is by far my favorite Star Trek, so I obviously could tolerate the Bajorans at the very least given how integral they are to DS9 as a whole.
    Sieg Zeon!

I don't mind Roddenbary's humans perse, I just like when the cracks show though, it shows that ther's always room for betterment.

- - - Updated - - -

I wouldn't even use perfect for the most part anyway my self.

- - - Updated - - -

Side note about DS9 since you mentioned it, I forgot how much I love Odo.

Gonna necro this thread. Also gonna throw this out here early, spoilers since this is my impromptu thoughts on Discovery since it aired last night. It's gonna be kind of a rambling that I hope doesn't seem like me going 'Old man yells at cloud' but I'll organize it as best I can. When I say spoilers I mean big spoilers, like huge. I'll mark where the major spoilers begin.

Beginning with the artstyle and moreover what was good, personally I like allot of the federation stuff, the Shenzou (the main ship for the first two episodes) is I admit...a bit of a strech to imagine as a ship that's an old ship by pre TOS standards (hell technically speaking the Connie was an old ship class in TOS) but I do like it, other ships fit in a bit better, and I didn't expect them to be completely sixties looking I'm not that naive, but some stuck to it better than others, that said even on the Shenzou there were older style details like the deflector looking like a dish and such. The discovery, even with it's weird floating ball bridge section (think like a Daedalus class but in the middle of a saucer) fits in better than it did with the older Aesthetic, it being based on an old rejected design for Phase II shows though more than it did in the original showing, but they've updated it a bit, still looks good IMO.

Aside from ships the uniforms, aren't bad remind me of sleeker ENT things, mostly because blue not a big fan of them but they're not horrible, and the bridge design feels a bit more advanced than TNG era stuff to a degree, everything is see though panels and such but you do see some physical buttons, what did surprise me is the hand phasers and communicator look TOS, like dead ringers for TOS, another thing is sound design, mostly in computer sounds on the bridge are a dead rip for the old sounds, I think they went a little too heavy with the TNG esq channel opening sound, trying to play on nostalgia (it would seemingly play at random in tense moments) but it was nice seeing that there was some attention paid to it.

Now for the bad, everything Klingon Aesthetic. Oh boy now the big elephant in this room is the Klingons, they've been redesigned again. Yeah. They still have ridges and such as we've seen in trailers but they're all bald, have longer heads, their ears are more morphed into their faces and four nostrils, it's not a horrible redesign and it may even of grown on me had they some hair, it just feels weird. Plus the whole Klingon thing has already been a thing up in the air Redesigned for TMP just to make them more Unique, then we had a Joke about it in DS9 and then ENT came in with an, unneeded IMO explanation but one none the less and it's been thrown out, and there hasn't been a sight of a single TOS Mongol (IN SPACE) among any of them.

Beyond that, unlike with the federation their whole Aesthetic, even beyond make up has been seemingly thrown out the window, now they wear some weird garb that looks like the Bone Invaders/that dude in Beserk's bone armor, but with a more spider web vibe, again it's not awful but it makes me ask why. The ships some are vaguely bird like (too a point where it's almost romulan) and others are more era-ish appropriate battle-cruiser like. We don't see many of them aside from the flagship which is implied to be ancient, but stlll wasn't great. Basically they've been rebooted visually harder than TMP ever did. Not a fan of it. Also I'm going to preface this with I don't speak klingon but from the sounds of it neither did they or rather they didn't speak it well. One thing that felt weird given Kilingon lines in past shows, but was kind of neat as a concept (granted something more 40K than Star trek) was the fact that the main Klingon ship was covered in various sarcophagi of dead klingon warriors. A bit over the top, and I'll get into reasons of my somewhat dislike and like with it in the plot.

Quality wise, the effects were good didn't like the phaser's on the ships they were more like beam bolts (between this and the new LOGH gone are cool solid lasers from ships and both have been to my sadness replaced with more SW like laser bolts-I digress) the CGI it's self isn't the best I've seen, but given that it's a TV series, moreover one that has to have heavy effects every episode so they can't just pull a game of thrones and blow their CGI budget on one big thing each season it's pretty good. Cinematography is okay the lighting feels a bit too stylized for me, beyond that it felt like whoever was in charge of it really. REALLY. Liked dutch angles, solid as whole minus those issues which aside from the overuse of dutch angles is just my opinion and I'm far from an expert on this stuff let me say it there, that's just what I feel.

------Spoilers here.

Now for the plot. It's a mixed bag, going to preface this all though with I don't hate it and am actually somewhat interested and will be continuing with the show. Starts off well enough we get a scene introing the main character and the captain of the Shenzou introduces their character's relationships as mentor, and mentee well then it gets to the actual overall plot they get called out to the fringes of space to check on a damaged probe and find an obscured object near the destroyed probe, the main character Michael (who is a her by the way) goes out in a thruster equipped space suit to do a fly by and finds it's an ancient klingon ship or probe or some such, fights a Warrior on it and gets knocked out after accidentally killing him. From there we find out via a flashback that she was raised by Sarek. Yeah. Yep. We're going there. It's a we're doing spock's issues but in reverse episode actually it's closer to Worf I guess, orphan raised by another raise. She was orphaned due to a klingon attack and was the lone survivor, why Sarek took her in I do not know, but it's the way of it.

Now I do like her character, and it can be an interesting dynamic it just feels like Sarek is tired in for the sake of tying it somehow to past notable characters. Just feels shoved in there, but whatever it's done. And the guy they get to play Sarek does a good job at it. Meanwhile the klingon's do a funeral right, and it's okay they do, to my suprise took them awhile to get it in, the Klingon funeral scream, and then put it in one of those mentioned Sarcophagi earlier to put it on the ship. And here's where my issue comes in, we hear in TNG Worf say in TNG (Episode Heart of Glory, I had to look it up no I'm not one of those people who remember it off the top of my head) "It is only an empty shell now, treat it as such." when speaking of Klingon dead, post scream, but they seem to hold the body in much more reverance than klingon's usually do, granted this is a radical offshoot they seem to hold some different values, but the whole thing feels a bit over the top, 40K like I said would make sense to have the hull of your ship adorned in honor of your dead, and I admit it's a neat concept. Anyways we find out he's wanting to unite the Empire, this Klingon I can't remember the name off, in the name of Kahless, he plans on doing that by lighting the beacon from earlier to draw out the great houses into a fight with the Federation. It works after an attempted coup to fire first by Michael on the Shenzou (was going to follow advice from Sarek to shoot first as it's what the Vulcans did with the klingons everytime after their first meeting ended with Vulcan's getting wiped out until they finally spoke) it fails, and the battle begins. The only other notable character from the main cast we meet is this Alien who alludes to being from a race once raised as Cattle or at least was prey it seems, as such he's pretty cautious, he's the science officer and third and is usually at odds with Michael, the Captain (Her names Phillipa), him and Michael all have a good bit of banter I liked actually. In the preview thankfully we see more of him and I want too seems like an interesting sort and his race seems like it could be interesting to expand on.

From this on it's okay nothing special, but nothing bad, they transport a torpedo on one of the dead the klingon mothership is picking up and then transport in to take the leader of the klingon's the fight goes badly he ends up martyred, and Michael goes back without the captain, it ends with her getting court martial and sentenced to life in prison in lead up for the next episodes and the War with the klingon's Michael being hated as she's seen by most as starting it.

-------------Spoilers end

Overall, my final thoughts are it was okay, if I had to rate it on these two episodes alone, biased wise I'd say 6/10-6.5/10 unbiased about a firm 7 or so, either way it's above average and has potential, but doesn't feel like anything too special yet but something worth watching to see where it goes, I admit some of my issues are directed at things that allot of long time fans of the series (for reference I've seen everything but parts of the Animated series, and the JJ-verse movies I've never gotten around too) may also pick at but even putting that aside it doesn't feel great yet, but no trek really has from the outset honestly even my favorite two series, TNG and DS9 had hiccups in the first few seasons or so. They're doing something a bit different it feels more like a drama focused on michael than an ensemble like most shows have been and it feels far more Cinematic but that feels more a sign of the times and big blockbuster drama's on cable ala GoT and other shows of the past 5-6 years or so being big like that. Ended up liking it more than I thought in someways and it has hooked my interest a bit to keep giving it a chance.

Sorry for the giant ramble again, no where else to really talk about it much. What did (if anyone else has seen it) you all think of it?

You covered a lot, so I'll keep my thoughts brief:

Acting was good, story seemed decent. Continuity is likely a mess (looks like a reboot), and the visuals are terrible. Way too much glare, lens flare, bad camera angles, extreme high tech, and just about everything else cribbed from the Kelvin timeline. And the Klingons look and sound terrible.

I'm hoping things get better, but I was rather disappointed. And this is coming from someone who loves all of the other series.
    "It's not a mistake...it's BATTLE DAMAGE!"
    Plamobot's build thread Plamobot's trade thread

Quote Originally Posted by Plamobot View Post
    You covered a lot, so I'll keep my thoughts brief:

Acting was good, story seemed decent. Continuity is likely a mess (looks like a reboot), and the visuals are terrible. Way too much glare, lens flare, bad camera angles, extreme high tech, and just about everything else cribbed from the Kelvin timeline. And the Klingons look and sound terrible.

I'm hoping things get better, but I was rather disappointed. And this is coming from someone who loves all of the other series.
    Yeah the visuals and continuity are my main issues. Especially the klingons like you said they're just...bad. They didn't need another rework.