0 0%
  • Mackenzie Calhoun (New Frontier)

1 6.67%
  • Other (see comments)

0 0%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek

Re: Star Trek

The NX-01 is pretty cool, but I really like the Voyager and the Enterprise-E.
    "You see, there's no need to wonder where your god is. Because he's right here! And he's fresh out of mercy!"
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

"Well, what good is being a god if you can't smite some people?"
    - Epsilon Church

E is another Like but it, the NX-01, Nova Class, and the USS Vengeance from the AT are my tops in no particular order :P

"Ignorance is the Enemy...Understanding is the Weapon"-Anonymous

“Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.” -G.K. Chesterton.

Sword Freak

Excelsior class is a best.

Speaking of the NX-01, I noticed that in the trailers for Star Trek Beyond that there is a NX-class ship used by Kirk and crew in the movie. Heck, they've even wearing the old Starfleet uniforms that would been used by an NX-class crew.
    "You see, there's no need to wonder where your god is. Because he's right here! And he's fresh out of mercy!"
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

- Epsilon Church

It is, but it's a Starship-class vessel that predates the NX-01, despite having a higher registry number. And the movie was a mess.
    "It's not a mistake...it's BATTLE DAMAGE!"
    Plamobot's build threadPlamobot's trade thread

Quote Originally Posted by Plamobot View Post
    It is, but it's a Starship-class vessel that predates the NX-01, despite having a higher registry number. And the movie was a mess.
    Well, that's disappointing.
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

- Epsilon Church

I thought it was AFTER the NX...wow that IS disappointing

"Ignorance is the Enemy...Understanding is the Weapon"-Anonymous

“Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.” -G.K. Chesterton.

Sword Freak

It's weird. The registry number is NX-326, but it was launched before the NX-01. You can shoehorn it in there, but it just seems like it should've been something else. e.g., SS-326, instead of NX-326. The most common explanation I've heard is that the NX number was restarted with each new prototype, like the Enterprise.

Regardless, the Quantum Mechanix model of the Franklin looks amazing!

4296.jpg
    "It's not a mistake...it's BATTLE DAMAGE!"
    Plamobot's build threadPlamobot's trade thread

That could also explain why some NX numbers are crazy high, like the Prometheus being NX-59650, I mean I doubt it's the 59,650 prototype out of star fleet. At the same time, it being Launched BEFORE the NX in general is a bit weird, especially then since that's before all the time line fuckery of the reboots.

I will agree with you though it looks good. As much as I just ignore and am not keen on the reboots, I will say they do have some good star ship designs, only one I don't really like is the vengence. (and I hope to god it doesn't completely overwrite the possibility of a proper Excelsior class since some seem to see it as the stand in for the Excelsior)

- - - Updated - - -

Also of course I think the NX number can be effected by what the NCC number will be. (Since the aformentioned Excelsior was NX-2000 and then NCC-2000 once it was out of prototype stages)

Discovery is set 10 years before TOS (or about a year after "The Cage"). Also I like the preview look of the Discovery. It's not the best looking starship (Excelsior-class says "hi"), but it's also no Intrepid-class (Voyager) either, and it looks a lot better than the Planet of the Titans concept art it's based on. It even looks like something that belongs between the (underrated) NX-01 Enterprise and the ships of the TOS era.

On an unrelated note, I'm sad that Planet of the Titans never saw the light of day, because the plan was to have the legendary Toshiro Mifune play a Klingon.
    Sieg Zeon!

Nice to see a fellow Excelsior fan.

- - - Updated - - -

Really sad we'll never get an Excelsior as the main ship.

Never say never, with this obsession with prequels (Enterprise, then Abramsverse TOS, now a Prime universe TOS prequel) we may get one eventually. Uggh, I'd have rather had something post-Nemesis (be that shortly after or significantly later). Fuller will probably make a good series (especially with Nicolas Meyer on staff), but I'm sick of this prequel crap. I want Ferengi, I want Borg, I want (non-hidden) Romulans, and most of all I want some goddamn Cardassians, and we can't have any of them pre-TOS. Didn't they learn with Voyager and Enterprise the dangers of doing poor substitutes (see: Kazon instead of Klingons) and having convoluted excuses for bringing in popular races (see: Ferengi on either show or Romulans on Enterprise). Don't get me wrong, I'm all for new species too, but it's nice to have some familiar faces running around too. The Lost Era would have been a better time period for a prequel at the very least. Hopefully, we'll at least get an Andorian as a regular (preferably played by Jeffery Combs. Yep, still bitter about not getting Shran as a S5 regular thanks to ENT's cancellation).

Honestly, I think the writers were just too scared/lazy to write TNG-era humans/Federation characters (aka Gene Roddenberry's ideal/perfect humans).
    Sieg Zeon!

Hell they don't even need to make them perfect, there were plenty of humans who were far from in the TNG era. But that probably is a factor. IT's a shame because while Nemesis...well frankly let's face it wasn't that great, post nemesis time frame has allot of potential, to say the least.

I guess the one advantage going for me is like you said at least with all the prequels an Excelsior isn't completely out of the question maybe some day. Hell it was even used well into the TNG era. Granted it was old as hell and mostly shuttled admirals around but still. Actually the ship being old could make things interesting, but if anything they'd go state of the art (which would be understanible especially if by some small hope a post nemesis thing were to happen)

Well there are ways to get around TNG perfect human/Federation syndrome. Here's a few:

1) have perfect humans/Starfleet types forced to work, live, and interact alongside various non-Federation cultures on a regular basis (see DS9).
    2) have a member of a new/candidate Federation species (or ally) as part of the crew (Again see: DS9).
    3) have non-Starfleet humans forced to work with Starfleet for reasons beyond their control (See: Voyager, before it mostly dropped the angle in what the second or third episode?).
    4) tell a war story.
    5) have a criminal element.
    6) tell a story about a political/ideological/philosophical/religious dispute (for the religious bit, I'm well aware of Star Trek humanity's atheism, I was thinking of species like the Bajorans).

Etc.

Like you said, there are ways. It just requires being a bit more creative than most tv shows/movies.
    Sieg Zeon!

Exactly. Hell even the perfect federation syndrome has been gotten around in some of the best members, granted allot of the time it was mind control, but there were officers, like Riker's first captain who were morally questionable. Hell even Picard had his Captain Ahab moment in First Contact, granted that's a bit different, with what the bord did to hi and all.

But yeah it takes effort, easier to set it in the past when the federation was in it's expansion phase so to speak. I do like the Bajoran focused idea. Granted part of that is because I've just finished TNG and am now on DS9 and rewatching it again too. But I've always liked them as a whole.

I mean I still have hope for it don't get me wrong, but another prequel is a bit disappointing.

- - - Updated - - -

That said I don't think perfect Roddenberry humans is that hard to get around or even needs complete avoidance, they did it quite well past TNG season 3 without them always being perfect, but still being quite obvious in a future state of mind, so to speak.