0 0%
  • Mackenzie Calhoun (New Frontier)

1 6.67%
  • Other (see comments)

0 0%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Star Trek

Re: Star Trek

I know this is old news, but I forgot to post it here and don't know if any of you guys are aware, but

http://www.startrek.com/article/new-...s-january-2017

New Star Trek series in January.

Oh yeah, I did hear about this. Not to start a fanboy war, but with all the hype surrounding the upcoming Star Wars film I completely forgot that Star Trek would be returning to the small screen.
    "You see, there's no need to wonder where your god is. Because he's right here! And he's fresh out of mercy!"
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

"Well, what good is being a god if you can't smite some people?"
    - Epsilon Church

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    Oh yeah, I did hear about this. Not to start a fanboy war, but with all the hype surrounding the upcoming Star Wars film I completely forgot that Star Trek would be returning to the small screen.
    Look to be fair...

I'm a trekie, and I spaced it for months as well, so no harm no foul lol :P

Quote Originally Posted by Zeon's RedComet View Post
    Look to be fair...

I'm a trekie, and I spaced it for months as well, so no harm no foul lol :P
    Okay good.
    "You see, there's no need to wonder where your god is. Because he's right here! And he's fresh out of mercy!"
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

"Well, what good is being a god if you can't smite some people?"
    - Epsilon Church

One of the clowns responsible for the reboots is in charge of it, so I'm not exactly optimistic. Still it's Star Trek, so I'll give it a chance. TNG got off to a very rocky start, but then it got a new show runner (the late, great Michael Piller), and it became one of the greatest tv shows of all time (that said, DS9 is better). Who knows? Maybe Jar Jar Abrams was to blame for the flaws of the previous two movies, and this guy simply got overruled. Then again he also cowrote Transformers 2...
    Sieg Zeon!

Well it can't be any worse than Beasie Boys space adventure 2Fast2Furious. I mean whatever the hell they're calling the next movie...god that trailer...I just that was bad.

- - - Updated - - -

Good point on the TNG thing, I forgot until I rewatched it earlier this year how much of a rocky start it got off too, I mean in the first few seasons it still had some good stuff, but for the most part it wasn't great especially when compaired to the last half or so.

That's kinda why I'm unwilling to write it off. Orci and Kurtzman were a writing team for a long time and the quality of their work has always been hit or miss. With one doing Beyond and the other doing Star Trek 2017, it's time to see who's the Brannon Braga and who's the Ron Moore of the team. Hopefully, the TV show got the Ron Moore half of the team. The Beyond trailer seems to indicate that that might be the case.
    Sieg Zeon!

Yeah that trailer made me go "Well the TV show can't be this bad. I mean really." so I have my fair bit of hope and skepticism.

Bryan Fuller has been named showrunner and co-creator of Star Trek 2017. Overall, this is pretty good news; he's a veteran Trek writer having previously written for DS9 and Voyager. Fuller later went on to create Dead Like Me, Wonderfalls, and Pushing Daisies. More recently, Fuller was the creator and showrunner of NBC's Hannibal. So while this news may not be the Ira Steven Behr or Ron Moore that all of the Trekkies were hoping for, it is still really good news (plus Fuller being the showrunner is an infinitely better situation than one of Jar Jar Abram's minions directly helming the series). Fuller was responsible for DS9's "Empok Nor" and VOY's "Bride of Chaotica!" after all.

Source: http://m.ign.com/articles/2016/02/09...-of-cbs-series

Fullrr's Star Trek writing credits: http://www.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Bryan_Fuller
    Sieg Zeon!

Good news indeed...
    "It's not a mistake...it's BATTLE DAMAGE!"
    Plamobot's build thread Plamobot's trade thread

I really hope that it's set in the Prime universe. CBS did mention Fuller's vast knowledge of the canon and his love for Roddenberry's vision of the future when they made the announcement, so hopefully that means that it will be. After all why bring up his knowledge of the canon if it won't be relevant to the new show? Then again Fuller said a few years ago that the thought of what TNG would look like in the Abramsverse was an interesting/fun idea for him. For what it's worth he's also previously said that DS9 was his favorite Star Trek spinoff due to all of the character work and that while he loves all of the various Star Trek spinoffs, he also missed the fun of TOS.

So I'm thinking a DS9 type show with the fun/cheese of TOS may be in our future. See: "Trials and Tribble-ations". No seriously, go see it on Netflix, DVD, or Blu-Ray (TOS tribbles disc) right now.
    Sieg Zeon!

That's good news, I also hope it's Prime universe as well.

Only thing I enjoy from the Abrams verse is the ship designs, at least the exteriors, the interiors not as much.

Love Janeway. Big fan of all the captains. Never read Titan, or know anything about Frontiers. Still been a trekking since the late eighties.

Even my Banshee does the Spock.

I legit think you're the first person I've seen that said that they like Janeway.

Like most Captains, there is no bullshit with her. I thoroughly enjoyed the way she handled things. Not to say any of the others could not do it, I'm most certainly sure any of them would do what they had to. Maybe it's because I'd like to sit, have a cup of coffee, and discuss things with that woman.

Lol