Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Administrator

Re: Atomic Old Man's Gunpla Jamboree

Very nice work on the Proto Zero man, looks amazing!
    "Born to lose, Live to win" - Lemmy Kilmister
    https://fb.me/ThWalkersMechHangar

Nice, clean build. Those decals must have been a doozy to apply, haha. When I looked at the pictures I thought it was top coated. Must have been the lighting.
    "All art is quite useless." - Oscar Wilde

It is top coated. The top coat on the top of the chest is kinda scratched up because of trying to get that buster rifle pose. It's kind of a pain to set that up.

Also, Dlinker, I'll be building every MG wing kit from the EW line, plus the Tallgeese III. I'm not a fan of the proto zero at all but this was still a fantastic kit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGzoFXdiamo
    Watch live Mondays at 12am (EST) on Hitbox | Watch archived on Destroy All Children
    This week: I bought a bunch of games on Steam, and I should probably play them. (Tron 2.0, Cook Serve Delicious, Enslaved, and a special MYSTERY GAME???)

The kits look fantastic for only lining and top coating. Very well done

Thanks, dude. I hope to do a bit more paint work with Red Warrior, though mostly just filling in missing details, possibly adding some color variation to the wepons since they seem pretty well segmented.

Watch live Mondays at 12am (EST) on Hitbox | Watch archived on Destroy All Children
    This week: I bought a bunch of games on Steam, and I should probably play them. (Tron 2.0, Cook Serve Delicious, Enslaved, and a special MYSTERY GAME???)

IMG_0484.jpgIMG_0496.jpgIMG_0500.jpgIMG_0502.jpgIMG_0504.jpg

This kit was a nonstop nightmare, which you may have been able to tell if you followed my waterslide thread. You can still spot where some of them didn't quite want to go on, as there's some silvering happening on the torso. As I got to the legs it should look better, seeing as that's when I finally found a working method. Not shown is the blade that goes on the beam rifle. I painted it, but did a poor job masking the part where it connects, since I thought it was more well hidden than it is. Point being, there's silver there where there shouldn't be, and I haven't bothered to strip that off yet.

The kit itself is a mixed bag. On the one hand, the articulation is really good, the joints feel great, the kit looks sleek and comes with a ton of weapons. On the other, this has maybe some of the worst nubs I've seen on a kit. There's a lot of really bad thick nubs all over the place, and I could feel my nippers starting to wear out trying to cut through all of them. Thankfully I have a new pair on the way, so I can switch to a two nipper kind of deal. There are SOME good nubs, where they end so thinly that you can sheer them right off and not have to sand or shave anything down. But the points to get them off the runner are all pretty damn big. Also, my runner has a lot of bubbles. I saw that mentioned in a review for it, I guess it might be a somewhat common factory defect?

I like this kit. I think the construction could have been a bit better on it, but it's like 25 bucks so whatever.

edit: Oh I also painted in the portions of the shoulder thrusters that are grey, since they come molded in white. Kinda tricky to mask those off, there's some spots where the paint is lighter than it should be, but I didn't want to over paint it, which I risked doing trying to hit those few tricky areas. They aren't super visible int he pictures, so whatever. I'll likely be the only ones to notice them. I painted the back of the shield too, though it's hard to tell from those pictures.
    Last edited by AtomicOldMan; March 17, 2015 at 8:36 AM.

Yeah, you went through a lot with this kit. The finished product looks great, though. Clean build and the decals look proper.
    "Typical. If I had a sense of humor left I might find that funny. I do not, on both accounts."

That sounds like a nightmare, but I think it payed off. The Zeon decals add a lot of personality to an otherwise boring kit in my opinion. Great detail painting, by the way.
    "All art is quite useless." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Dlinker View Post
    Yeah, you went through a lot with this kit. The finished product looks great, though. Clean build and the decals look proper.
    I'd rather go through all that on an HG than an MG, at least. Not just for the cost difference, but the level of effort involved on the straight assembly level, having things fall apart at that point would be far more frustrating. I think the only reason I was getting so upset is because I think the Red Warrior just looks so great, and the fact that it took forever to get here (a shipping delay pushed it back by a month, and then the shipment was short changed, making it take a few weeks longer after that.) Thankfully I should be familiar enough now with waterslides to tackle the Tallgeese III.

edit: Thanks, Bossguy! I'm kinda iffy on my lining on this one, I think it's a bit too thick in places. This is the result of my gloss coat chewing through the lining and me having to put it back on. Because the glossy made it a bit more tough, I had to lay it on pretty thick. Still, I'd prefer thick cartoony lines over the damaged state they were in.

Great work on all kits, I love the Original Gundam diorama on the first page.

IMG_0508.jpgIMG_0510.jpgIMG_0512.jpgIMG_0516.jpgIMG_0518.jpg

Finished my P-Bandai Tallgeese III, a kit that I love and hate.

Mistakes were made, first of all. I accidentally scratched off a chunk of the decal on the right shoulder, so a 0 is gone, but whatever. The worst is one of the white fins on the jetpack, which had a portion break off. I glued it back together but I have to be extremely careful when opening the jets up. I'm mostly leaving them alone for now. The only flaws dealing with the design of the kit itself is how easily some parts like to fall off. I'm sure everyone is aware of how touch the ankle armor on the Tallgeese kits can be, but the arms have a habit of falling to bits anytime you move them too much. The way the thruster lowers when you lift the jet pack's fin is touchy as well, and I've found that it often pops the thrusters off. They can be a real pain to get back in, so I wouldn't recommend playing with that feature too much. There's also some very thick and visible nubs, though I chalk that up to much of the runners being from an older kit. Thankfully, nubs seem to be much easier to work with on white surfaces, so if you're good at cleaning them up it shouldn't be too much of a problem.

On the other hand, holy hell what a great looking kit this is. The gun is awesome, and massive. I think it's even taller than the Geara Doga when pulled out to full length. I painted the inside of it silver so it would stand out a bit, and I really like the effect. I also painted a bit of the bar under the cockpit, and the thrusts. I painted the inside of the crotch thruster in a dark grey too, as I found it kind of sad that it was molded in white. The panel lining on this kit is really fun, and there's just the right amount of it. I really like how sleek the legs are, and the design of the shoulders. The shield and gun get a decent amount of movement, and the chain whip is pretty awesome and easy to adjust. You can bend it all around and get it into some really awesome positions. There's some pretty awesome armor separation on the knees and elbows too. The head looks really menacing, and the movement it gets is great, I especially like the little neck guard that moves up and down with it.

I'm pleased with the end result, though I can't really suggest this kit at 100 dollars. If you absolutely must have the Tallgeese III then that's a value proposition you've probably already worked out, what with the only alternative being the DM bootleg (and I hear that's a far more janky kit.) I wish I paid less, but by the end of the day this thing looks pretty sick sitting up on my shelf, so I can't say that I'm burned by it either.

edit: Maybe worth pointing out for anybody who followed the nightmare of a time I had with waterslides... these ones all turned out great. Some needed a little bit more work towards the end, but I noticed that I was probably touching the sheet too much and wearing the adhesive down. These stuck much much better right out of the box, though I think my familiarity with them now helped a lot.
    Last edited by AtomicOldMan; April 4, 2015 at 11:59 PM.

That looks great. Glad to hear the waterslides are going nicely for you now. If I had this kit I'd have it on the shelf facing the wall, that thruster-filled backpack is the bee's knees!

Superb work on the Tallgeese 3.

Quick question though, do you wash the trees before assembly or just assemble?
    <a href=http://www.gundamforums.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=191161&dateline=1395373122 target=_blank>http://www.gundamforums.com/image.ph...ine=1395373122</a>

Looks very good. But Damn dat 100$......

Quote Originally Posted by thehod View Post
    Superb work on the Tallgeese 3.

Quick question though, do you wash the trees before assembly or just assemble?
    By "trees" do you mean the runners for the kit, or do you mean the trees in the diorama?

In both cases, yeah, I wash. I use some dish soap and a toothbrush, maybe not the best method. Sometimes I get residue left over, so I'll rub the parts clean after they dry with a little extra water. Anything I top coat, I wash, so I really only skip effect parts. I'm assuming you're asking cause the light is highlighting the top coat on the gun in a few of those pictures, and therefor showing that the coat is patchy. Reason being is my can started running out half way through doing the gun, spraying all uneven. I also handled it way too soon, I just wanted to get the pictures done. I'll redo it once I get a new can.