Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast

Re: Gundam is back in the USA!!!

So on a scale of 1 to 10 how strong would you guys guess the fan base for gundam is right now in the US? My sister and a friend of mine from middle school are the only people in existence ive ever known who even know what Gundam is. I honestly couldent guess. On one hand its at least popular enough for them to test the waters again but on the other how many people do you actually know who even knows what anime is?

Zaku on kova luu.
    YOU WANT TO BE MORE THAN JUST A GRUNT? LEARN TO SEE THE BIG PICTURE!
    In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it. -Erwin Rommel
    They're on our right, they're on our left. They're in front of us, they're behind us; they cant get away from us this time -chesty puller
    http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...3-Zaku-s-WIP-s

I can tell you its far more than in Finland. Beside my self i havent met in person a single human in here who would have know about Gundam before i told them about it.

Im sure finding anything Gundam related is hard for you man. Its just shy of impossible here.

Zaku on kova luu.
    They're on our right, they're on our left. They're in front of us, they're behind us; they cant get away from us this time -chesty puller

@Zeta: You do know that Toonami has expressed interest in the possibly airing Wing and Turn A relatively recently right? That's not even getting into their never ending fetish for airing Cowboy Bebop over and over again. X is old certainly, but it's not prohibitively old in the way that something like ZZ would be (especially not for the audience likely to be watching a late night anime block). Plus they had wanted to air X after Wing's original run. Consequently, if Gundam X aired on Toonami and was successful, the FU to Bandai would be priceless.
    Sieg Zeon!

Quote Originally Posted by Zaku View Post
    Im sure finding anything Gundam related is hard for you man. Its just shy of impossible here.
    Thank god the internet exists. Only Gundam related media ive come across in here are the Dynasty Warriors series, i have bought 2, 3 and Reborn of the series. Other than that nada.
    Everything else must be ordered online.

Gundam X: $34 Gazillion Dollars

Dubbing X: $23 Gazillion Dollars

Airing X: $ 3.4 Gazillion Dollars

Watching Bandai getting FU: Priceless

More better ways to do with MasterCard...

#EPIC TROLLING!!!!

"Ignorance is the Enemy...Understanding is the Weapon"-Anonymous

“Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.” -G.K. Chesterton.

Sword Freak

Lol dis guy

Zaku on kova luu.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta-G View Post
    @Zeta: You do know that Toonami has expressed interest in the possibly airing Wing and Turn A relatively recently right? That's not even getting into their never ending fetish for airing Cowboy Bebop over and over again. X is old certainly, but it's not prohibitively old in the way that something like ZZ would be (especially not for the audience likely to be watching a late night anime block). Plus they had wanted to air X after Wing's original run. Consequently, if Gundam X aired on Toonami and was successful, the FU to Bandai would be priceless.
    True. Very true. I guess we will have to wait and see what Jason DeMarco will say.
    "You see, there's no need to wonder where your god is. Because he's right here! And he's fresh out of mercy!"
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

"Well, what good is being a god if you can't smite some people?"
    - Epsilon Church

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta-G View Post
    Oh the FU would be god like.

I mean like...best thing ever, and if the US is the only way to get X recognized...then I'm all for it.

Like I said I personally see the rough and tumble kid who jacks a MS with a 9mm pistol and a Homemade Flash bang, going off well in a Western Audience.

Also I'm interested to see if Toonami ever airs 00 if they re air wing again, personally I could see 00 doing good as well over here, thing I think held it back was it wasn't on Toonami, but Sci-Fi's AniMonday block, which isn't as well known, I mean ask someone what they think about Sci-Fi (or Syfy as it's now known for whatever god forsaken reason) and they'll say "S***y orginal movies, the occasional re-run of some show, and some of original stuff sprinkled about" not anime. Thankfully I ran into 00 One day or I'd have never seen it on TV lol.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh I wonder if this helps explain why Daisuke took down ZZ.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.rightstuf.com/rssite/main/news/individual/?ForumThreadName=FT0000007457

I've been wanting 00 to air on Toonami since it came back. It's recent enough to fit in with the lineup and fits with the modern audience.
    Biggest 00 fanboy you'll ever meet.

How is Bandai getting an FU if they profit from their own venture?
    "It's not a mistake...it's BATTLE DAMAGE!"
    Plamobot's build threadPlamobot's trade thread

Quote Originally Posted by Plamobot View Post
    How is Bandai getting an FU if they profit from their own venture?
    Because X is the black sheep of Gundam. It has a large cult like following and Toonami wanted to bring it over but were convinced that it wouldn't work. How long did it take before the X Gundam got a real HG and MG again? That's how little faith they have in Gundam X. For it to succeed, or even bring in a second gundam boon would be the biggest FU to bandai that could ever be done.

Lord of the 1/144 Corps

Captain of the 1/72 Brigade
    "The Scale of Tragedy"
    Conrad<Kahrys<Shepard<937<Nasir<Malenko<Nathen

Quote Originally Posted by Exia View Post
    Because X is the black sheep of Gundam. It has a large cult like following and Toonami wanted to bring it over but were convinced that it wouldn't work. How long did it take before the X Gundam got a real HG and MG again? That's how little faith they have in Gundam X. For it to succeed, or even bring in a second gundam boon would be the biggest FU to bandai that could ever be done.
    Pretty much this. Although Toonami and BEI weren't convinced that Gundam X wouldn't be successful, they were simply told in no uncertain terms that they couldn't have it because it failed in Japan. Then they asked if they could get G or Turn A, and they were told that they had to air the positively ancient MSG instead. I love MSG, but it was so obviously not the right series to follow Wing. BEI and Toonami tried to convince Bandai of that, but, because Bandai knows all, it didn't listen, and the rest is history.

It's a shame that SEED didn't come out until a couple of years later. With its massive success in Japan, if it had been available sooner, Bandai might have allowed them to air SEED instead of MSG. While it wouldn't have been as smooth of a transition as Wing to X would have been (mostly due to its whiney protagonist), it's still similar enough to Wing in many respects (overpowered Gundams, [seemingly] pacifistic love interest, yaoi undertones, handful of people against the world, and its melodrama nature) that it wouldn't have bled western viewers the way that MSG did.

Back on point, I would love nothing more than to see Gundam X be the series that gets Bandai the western audience they've craved for so long. Even if it ends up being the last gundamn thing they localize from the back catalog, it would be worth it. Given their arrogance with regards to the western market, they deserve the massive FU that X being successful would represent. Plus the Gundam X anime didn't fail in Japan due to its own merits; it failed because the model sales tanked due to Gundam X being the 4th Gundam TV series in 4 years, and the market being flooded with Gunpla as a result. Gundam X's models wouldn't have sold poorly and it wouldn't have been moved to 5 am as a result if Bandai hadn't been so greedy. X's Japanese DVDs did much better than Bandai expected; the sales were high enough that it actually earned the series a new manga series. Of course Bandai went back to ignoring it after that, but still. Taking the NA market for Bandai would give X an achievement Bandai couldn't ignore, and it would force them to finally take responsibility for mishandling X's original Japanese run and for mishandling the NA market. In short, X being successful in NA would be the biggest FU imaginable.

I plan on doing my part to ensure that happens when the time comes. I plan on buying myself a copy as well as copies for my local libraries. I hope you guys will do the same. Bandai deserves the FU after all the crap they've given us and X over the years.
    Last edited by Zeta-G; October 12, 2014 at 3:41 PM. Reason: Fixed typos & improved clarity.
    Sieg Zeon!

Right Behind you Zeta-G on that one! X Rivals the 8th MS team as my #1 Favorite Gundam Series, So I am so supporting it and I would LOVE to the fly on the wall when the Bandai Big Wigs get that "OH F***!" look on their face when their Black Sheep turns into a Golden Goose NA speaking lol!

"Ignorance is the Enemy...Understanding is the Weapon"-Anonymous

“Fairy tales do not tell children the dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed.” -G.K. Chesterton.

Sword Freak

I'll gladly buy a copy of X whenever it comes out domestically. I'm still baffled by how Bandai shows little love towards it compared to the others and I hope now its fortunes will be taking a more positive turn, which might then lead to more model kits.
    "Typical. If I had a sense of humor left I might find that funny. I do not, on both accounts."