Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast

Thread: Plane Topic

Re: Plane Topic

F/A-18 cheaper than a russian built Mig? Dont make me laugh. A new F/A-18D in 2006 would cost somewhere around 40-50 million a peace considering how many were bought. A new Mig-29 would cost a cool 30 mil at the same time. Plus F/A-18 was really developed as a carrier based aircraft which is why it had the multi-role component to its design. However considering that what Finland was replacing with its F/A-18's, and that is air-superiority fighters and fighter/bombers the mig-29 should have been a better option especially considering that it was specifically adapted to harsher colder climate.

But sure F/A-18 is a cool plane, especially considering how many planes it replaced in the US navy service. But MiG-29 just looks cooler, its design along with the Su-27 based planes just look so sleek and almost organic.

Real reason why the F18 was chosen? Politics.
    They were bought back in the mid 90s, short time after collapse of the Soviet Union. Finnish government had been in close terms with the Kremlin previously, a lot of the army's equipment is Soviet in origin. However, the newly elected president and defense minister wanted to open the doors to the West. That's why the F18s were chosen.

While we are on the subject of navy planes, I find that carrier pilots have more piloting skill than air force pilots. Why? Well, your runway is only about 1,000 ft long (if that) and moving, compared to an air force pilot that has a 5,000 to 10,000 ft runway.
    "You see, there's no need to wonder where your god is. Because he's right here! And he's fresh out of mercy!"
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

"Well, what good is being a god if you can't smite some people?"
    - Epsilon Church

They need exceptional Takeoff and landing skills, Yes.

Its not really that they have better "skills" because they themselves are somehow better but its basically a question of flight hours and experience. There are ten US aircraft carriers going around the world, to keep the ability to land on one the pilots have to constantly train. So they get more flight hours in cockpit. Plus considering the conflicts of the past 50 years the marine pilots and navy pilots have been used much more often than Airforce or army.

how did i miss this thread. i love aircraft.
    We are poor little lambs. that have lost our way. bahhh bahh bahhhhh.

- - - Updated - - -

i think it reflects in how many RC versions of this thing ive had how much i love the F4U.

Zaku on kova luu.
    YOU WANT TO BE MORE THAN JUST A GRUNT? LEARN TO SEE THE BIG PICTURE!
    In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it. -Erwin Rommel
    They're on our right, they're on our left. They're in front of us, they're behind us; they cant get away from us this time -chesty puller
    http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...3-Zaku-s-WIP-s

Yeah, Corsair is pimp.

yea it is. i love it.

Zaku on kova luu.
    They're on our right, they're on our left. They're in front of us, they're behind us; they cant get away from us this time -chesty puller

Ah yes, the F4U Corsair. Has the honor of being THE fastest piston driven plane of WWII; not to mention the fighter with one of the lowest survivability rates as it notoriously difficult to land.
    "You see, there's no need to wonder where your god is. Because he's right here! And he's fresh out of mercy!"
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

- Epsilon Church

you have no idea how many props ive broken. i dont nose over much anymore but when i do holy shit prop pieces go flying

Zaku on kova luu.

I'm bit unsure about the claims that F4U was the fastest prop of that time.
    I've heard that Yak -9s have out performed as have Mustangs. Though how concrete These claims are, I'm not sure.

im not sure either i know they were a lot faster than the Zeros but i think the Mustang was faster. the mustang came later in the war.

Zaku on kova luu.

According to its specs on Wikipedia and my various WWII books I have, the F4U's top speed was 417 mph (671 km/h) at 19,000 ft. The Mustang was indeed faster with a top speed of 437 mph (703 km/h) at 25,000 ft. The Yak-9 had the same performance as the F4U of 417 mph (671 km/h) at an altitude of 20,000 ft.
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

- Epsilon Church

Actually, P51 was introduced in to service in 1941, roughly the same time as 4U . It took some time till they be came the legends they are today.

Though my favorite prop fighter in F2A Buffalo or as it's export version is know, B-239 Brewster.
    Probably the plane with highest K/D ratio, Ever.
    Also,unit designated as BW -364 is possibly the highest scoring airframe in history.
    Last edited by Dom Tropen MS-09D; January 8, 2015 at 5:15 AM.

So did anyone else here about Harrison Ford's crash landing he made in Santa Monica? To be honest, I didn't even know he was a pilot. I guess real life imitates art as both Mr. Ford and Han Solo are accomplished pilots.
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

- Epsilon Church