Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Shponglefan's WIP Log: Journey of a N00b

I'm somewhat new to Gunpla. I originally discover it about 10 years ago. I built a couple kits, started a couple more, then just stopped. Over the years I kept thinking I should just get rid of my Gunpla kits and supplies. Yet, the hording won out and here I am, 10 years later and trying to build again. In fact, this first kit I am showing is one of the original unfinished ones.

My main interest is learning how to paint model Gundams. I also paint miniatures and have a modest illustration background, so the painting side interests me more than the building side. In fact, I get a bit impatient trying to build them and I think that's what caused me to stop originally.

My plan is to experiment with painting techniques, shading, application of different theory, and so on. Not to mention develop my airbrushing skills. This WIP log should be useful to chronicle these experiments and keep a list of what works and what doesn't.

This first kit is a basic 1/144 RGM-79GS GM Command Space Type.

RGM-79GS_01.jpg

So far the I've primed everything (mostly) and am working on basecoating and initial shading. The waist area is only primed in these pics, but the legs and head have initial basecoats. I tried initially highlighting the torso with a mixture of Scarlet Red and White, but wasn't too keen on it, so I covered it with another base coat. I'm also not too happy with using the Hull Red for shading on the torso as it seems too warm a color for me. I might try giving it a blue wash and see if that helps.

Paints used so far (all Vallejo Model Air unless otherwise noted):

Torso: Scarlet Red (base), Hull Red/Scarlett Red mix (shade)
    Legs/Head: USAF Light Grey (base), USAF Light Grey/Medium grey mix (shade)
    Jetpack: Dark Blue Grey (base), Dark Blue Grey/Medium Grey/USAF light grey mix (highlight), Hull Red (thruster interior base)

RGM-79GS_04d.jpgRGM-79GS_04b.jpgRGM-79GS_04a.jpgRGM-79GS_04c.jpg

Hey welcome to the forums! That's a really cool kit! You'll fit right in here and if you have questions let us know we'll help out

Re: Shponglefan's WIP Log: Journey of a N00b

Thanks Setsunason54! Browsing the forums there seems to be a lot of talented and knowledgeable folks here, so I'm glad to be here!

Little bit of a painting update. I started detailing the jetpack and the torso. In detailing the torso, I'm finding it already a challenge trying to brush paint after a smooth airbrush coat. Especially trying to do panel-lining via a wash. It's easy to make it look it messy, so care and patience will be needed in the future.

I'm also experimenting with edge highlighting. It's a technique I rarely see used in Gunpla, so I'm curious how it will work out in the end. So far I'm liking the results but I think it will take some time to really dial it in.

RGM-79GS_05.jpg

Ah, the good o'll GM lol I have the MG on my list of kits to do. Everyone needs feddie cannon fodder in there collection.

I also ran into some trouble when trying to paint panels with a brush and do panel linings with a gundam marker. Currently looking for a kind of foam/felt type of brush that is rigid (no bristles) and has a very fine point - like the fine point gundam marker. It really does suck that a brush doesn't flow the way you expect it to on an airbrushed piece.

I really like the way the backpack unit came out!

Someone here a long time ago tried to do some edge highlighting on their kit and it was looking nice, but he never got around to finish it. Very interested in seeing how yours turns out since it's something I want to try for myself after seeing so many great miniatures. So far, your paint job and detailing is looking sharp. How are you cleaning the wash?
    "Typical. If I had a sense of humor left I might find that funny. I do not, on both accounts."

Isn't edge highlighting usually called shadowing? It's not that uncommon but most people won't paint do it on their kits from what i've seen. Anyway welcome. I'll be interested to see how that kit comes out considering it's so old.

Quote Originally Posted by Halzman View Post
    Ah, the good o'll GM lol I have the MG on my list of kits to do. Everyone needs feddie cannon fodder in there collection.

I also ran into some trouble when trying to paint panels with a brush and do panel linings with a gundam marker. Currently looking for a kind of foam/felt type of brush that is rigid (no bristles) and has a very fine point - like the fine point gundam marker. It really does suck that a brush doesn't flow the way you expect it to on an airbrushed piece.

I really like the way the backpack unit came out!
    Thanks Halzman! The idea of using a fine point foam brush is interesting and could indeed help with those thin lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Dlinker View Post
    Someone here a long time ago tried to do some edge highlighting on their kit and it was looking nice, but he never got around to finish it. Very interested in seeing how yours turns out since it's something I want to try for myself after seeing so many great miniatures. So far, your paint job and detailing is looking sharp. How are you cleaning the wash?
    Thanks Dlinker. Right now I'm just using water for cleaning up the washes. I might try oil washes on a future Gundam to see how that works.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultra View Post
    Isn't edge highlighting usually called shadowing? It's not that uncommon but most people won't paint do it on their kits from what i've seen. Anyway welcome. I'll be interested to see how that kit comes out considering it's so old.
    No, these are two different things. The shadowing you are referring to is painting a darker shadow around the edges of a flat surface. In this case, edge highlighting is using a light color and drawing along the edge where two surfaces meet.

The base coat doesn't get affected when you clean up the wash?
    "Typical. If I had a sense of humor left I might find that funny. I do not, on both accounts."

The base coat doesn't get affected when you clean up the wash?
    Oh it definitely does. I had to go back over with base colors to try to touch it up.

Oh, that sucks. I do acrylic panel line washes on my kits and I always gloss coat first to make removing the wash easier (I use Vallejo Model Color thinned with water and Flow Aid). It's still a gamble since I use a small amount of alcohol to clean up the wash and it tends to damage any sort of gloss coat. I thought you had a way of avoiding it and if so, I needed to learn your secrets, haha.

Experimented with masking today. This was one of those "why didn't I do this sooner?" moments. Masking seems like it could be very useful in doing detail airbrush work and I have a feeling it will become something I rely on a lot.

The results are a bit subtle in the pics (just lightening some of the grey detail). But this was more for experimenting with different techniques and tools at this point.

Also toned down the edge highlight a bit as well. That's another technique I'm still figuring out...

RGM-79GS_06a.jpgRGM-79GS_06b.jpg

I can see the highlighting and I think it looks great. Subtle is the name of the game.

And yeah, working your masking skill will serve you tremendously no matter which paint method you use.

I can see the highlighting and I think it looks great. Subtle is the name of the game.

And yeah, working your masking skill will serve you tremendously no matter which paint method you use.
    Thanks Dlinker, it helps to get a second opinion and know I'm on the right track!

Today I worked on the various grey bits (legs, feet, etc). I attempted to highlight by mixing USAF light grey (my base) with the basic Model Air white paint. But while the USAF light grey has a slight yellow tint to it, it turns out the white paint has a slight blue tint to it. The end result looks like this weird blend of yellow and blue; it's kind of subtle in these pics, but in person it's more dramatic. So I think I'll have to repaint the highlights with White Grey, which seems to be a lighter tone than USAF light grey, but has the same tint.

So another lesson learned: don't mix up your color tints. The end result doesn't look good.

RGM-79GS_07a.jpgRGM-79GS_07b.jpg

Pretty crazy that you can detect tints like that. So on your pics, you were doing highlighting still? I thought it was post-shading. Either way, it looks nice.

That's a real smooth finish though. It looks silky smooth.