Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Cleverfrog's Build(s) Thread

I am new here, but not new to gundam models. Growing up I built several HG models and collected gundam action figures. Now that I am older I wanted to try the master grade kits and really try to put some detailing into them. The first kit I am attempting is Hi-Nu Gundam. I picked up a set of gundam paint markers, but I would really like to airbrush and learn some good techniques for weathering and accenting. I open for tips, tricks, suggestions or any feedback as I progress.

Here's the model and some feet that came with it
    IMAG1143.jpg

Re: Cleverfrog's Build(s) Thread

My case is the same with regards to the building history. Have fun man, MGs a so much nicer and cleaner than HGs. I'm just waiting to get my hobby area back so I can try painting and other crazy mods
    Last edited by Chaser90EK; July 24, 2014 at 12:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaser90EK View Post
    My case is the with regards to the building history. Have fun man, MGs a so much nicer and cleaner than HGs. I'm just waiting to get my hobby area back so I can try painting and other crazy mods
    I agree! I spent almost 5 hours last night assembling the upper torso, head and arms with a little paint on parts. Everything is so much more detailed and intricate. I didn't take any pictures of anything though. I was unaware that there were forums dedicated to gundam models. I am on several car forums and motorsports forums and they've helped a lot so I figured I would do some searching.

Administrator

Glad that you decided to join the forum. You picked a great kit to start with. The MG Hi-Nu is a great kit and I have heard a lot of really good things about it. You should take some pictures of your progress, I know we all would like to them.

You should look into the new MG Hi-Nu Ver Ka that is going be released here soon. Would be awesome compare the two.
    "Born to lose, Live to win" - Lemmy Kilmister
    https://fb.me/ThWalkersMechHangar

Quote Originally Posted by thwalker13 View Post
    Glad that you decided to join the forum. You picked a great kit to start with. The MG Hi-Nu is a great kit and I have heard a lot of really good things about it. You should take some pictures of your progress, I know we all would like to them.

You should look into the new MG Hi-Nu Ver Ka that is going be released here soon. Would be awesome compare the two.
    Thanks Thwalker! I saw that kit on gundamplanet. I like the redesign on the funnel carriers on the back. I believe my fiance is going to get me an MG Epyon in a couple weeks. I'd love to do a custom paint job on the Ka of Hi-Nu. I was thinking red for the blue and black for the white. I'll take some pictures when I get home tonight and post them up. I know all to well for forums, pics or lies lol.

Administrator

Haha, exactly, Pics or it didn't happen.

I'll say that the MG Epyon is an awesome kit. It was one of the 1st kits that I snapped together when I got back into the hobby. It's a bit back heavy due to the wings, but it can be worked around with an action base.
    "Born to lose, Live to win" - Lemmy Kilmister
    https://fb.me/ThWalkersMechHangar

Quote Originally Posted by thwalker13 View Post
    Haha, exactly, Pics or it didn't happen.

I'll say that the MG Epyon is an awesome kit. It was one of the 1st kits that I snapped together when I got back into the hobby. It's a bit back heavy due to the wings, but it can be worked around with an action base.
    I read that about it. I think the next kit I actually buy myself will be either the Geara Doga or a Sazabi. I could be persuaded to pick another though.

Both kits are great so you can't go wrong with either one. They'll keep you busy for a while too, especially the Sazabi.
    "Typical. If I had a sense of humor left I might find that funny. I do not, on both accounts."

I think I'll be busy for a while with Hi-Nu as well. The more I search here the more I want to buy an airbrush kit and go crazy.

- - - Updated - - -

Only got to work on it for a little bit last night. Made my first oops mistake though. Maybe I was too tired to piece it together. I trimmed a nub that retains a joint from moving too far and now if I move it to far it falls out. Lived, learned, won't be doing that again. Critique me

SAM_0057.jpgSAM_0058.jpgSAM_0059.jpgSAM_0060.jpgSAM_0061.jpg

Welcome!

The WIP is looking good. It's quite a blast building ain't it?

Oh yeah, have you pick any sandpapers to smooth out the nub marks?

Quote Originally Posted by V0LTES-V01 View Post
    Welcome!

The WIP is looking good. It's quite a blast building ain't it?

Oh yeah, have you pick any sandpapers to smooth out the nub marks?
    I've been sanding some of them, but you can really tell in the pictures where the nubs are that I missed. Especially on the feet. I think I was way too tired last night. I may pull those pieces if possible and file them down more.

- - - Updated - - -

AHHHHHHHH you mean "nail files" aka sanding sticks. I didn't even think to try that. I was just using some 600 grit paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleverfrog View Post
    I've been sanding some of them, but you can really tell in the pictures where the nubs are that I missed. Especially on the feet. I think I was way too tired last night. I may pull those pieces if possible and file them down more.

- - - Updated - - -

AHHHHHHHH you mean "nail files" aka sanding sticks. I didn't even think to try that. I was just using some 600 grit paper.
    nail files are awesome when it comes to smoothing out nub marks. I highly recommend using it. I cut the nail file to slim strip pieces to get the most out of it. And plus it's much easier to use when it's sized down.

Quote Originally Posted by V0LTES-V01 View Post
    nail files are awesome when it comes to smoothing out nub marks. I highly recommend using it. I cut the nail file to slim strip pieces to get the most out of it. And plus it's much easier to use when it's sized down.
    Notes taken thank you! I nabbed up a cheap starter airbrush and moisture trap from my large air compressor in the garage. I like how easy the markers are to use but they do leave behind streaks. Perhaps a 2nd coat with them would help. An airbrush would be nicer overall and opens up weathering and other accenting.

- - - Updated - - -

What do you guys recommend for paint brand? I see Mr Color and testors mentioned a bit.

Depends on what you're comfy working with. Do you want to work with mostly odorless paints or solvents? If the former, then go with acrylics like Vallejo, Model Masters Acryl, Tamiya Acrylic, and even Citadel which are the easiest to work with and are usually reliable and consistent. If the latter, go for Testor's, Tamiya (spray cans), Mr. Color, and Gaia Color.
    "Typical. If I had a sense of humor left I might find that funny. I do not, on both accounts."

Quote Originally Posted by Dlinker View Post
    Depends on what you're comfy working with. Do you want to work with mostly odorless paints or solvents? If the former, then go with acrylics like Vallejo, Model Masters Acryl, Tamiya Acrylic, and even Citadel which are the easiest to work with and are usually reliable and consistent. If the latter, go for Testor's, Tamiya (spray cans), Mr. Color, and Gaia Color.
    I've only ever used testors and tamiya for car and jet kits, but that was mainly brushing. I'm open to new things haha. I'd prefer something consistent.