Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Diorama 101 Series - A Tutorial on Diorama Builds

Diorama 101 - Building walls

Ok so we've done our base and we've got the steps down pat! So what's next? Trying new things! That's what! So here is a quick run down on how to build a simple structure or concrete wall. What you will need is some cardboard, wall plaster, some wires, superglue and a ruler/cutter.

What we need to do is plan the idea on how the building should look like. How many stories and also scale. Once you've done this and drawn it out on paper we need to cut out the shapes in the cardboard and then glue it all together. Once the structure is glued and its rock hard we need to stick it to the base. Once glued down to the base we are going to smear the walls with plaster. Not a lot just enough to break up the smooth cardboard.

You can see the wire's i've used to stick into the cardboard as if it was support wire. Good little details I like to add lol.

Again we base coat everything black!

Last but not least we follow the painting of rock SOOOOOO Paint on dark grey - dry brush light grey - dry brush white. I added some black to the "scorched" edges as if it was burned from an explosion lol

Here is a close up of the painting and wire.

Now that is done then add your details and foliage (grass here) and you're done!

Here is a 1/144 RG GP01FB next to the building to show you the scale i used

Don't forget to ask me any questions and I'm glad to answer or help explain it in more depth!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Dlinker View Post
    Fantastic, once again. I honestly won't be surprised if we suddenly start having more dioramas being shown off here later on. Very, very helpful as always.
    Thats the idea hahaha. I'm happy to share because it helps build a stronger community and people will start doing things outside their comfort zone. I prob don't even update my WIP thread because I'll be posting stuff up here hahaha

Man this is good stuff. Thanks for making these tutorials there im learning a lot here.

Zaku on kova luu.
    YOU WANT TO BE MORE THAN JUST A GRUNT? LEARN TO SEE THE BIG PICTURE!
    In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it. -Erwin Rommel
    They're on our right, they're on our left. They're in front of us, they're behind us; they cant get away from us this time -chesty puller
    http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...3-Zaku-s-WIP-s

^ Heck yeah, this x1000. For me, it's not even the exact specific methods being employed that's eye-opening. Rather, it's the creativity behind everything. So darn ingenious.
    "Typical. If I had a sense of humor left I might find that funny. I do not, on both accounts."

Administrator

I'm soaking up as much as I can as well. I hope to one day delve into diorama builds and these tutorials you've made are an amazing help.
    "Born to lose, Live to win" - Lemmy Kilmister

You're welcome! I'm more then happy to help. Don't forget to throw suggestions on things you want help with and I'll post up some walk throughs to help.

Are there any general rules of thumb you use for painting? It really seems the paint is what makes everything look like what its supposed to be.

Zaku on kova luu.
    They're on our right, they're on our left. They're in front of us, they're behind us; they cant get away from us this time -chesty puller

Quote Originally Posted by Zaku View Post
    Are there any general rules of thumb you use for painting? It really seems the paint is what makes everything look like what its supposed to be.
    Don't go overboard. A lot of people will over dry brush and you end up turning the base into a lighter colour which can make it look fake. Only the initial coat (The wet brush with darkest of the colour) is the heavy one. That one you can just go all out and paint it. The dry brushing has to be subtle like you would do on the gundam to create weathering. Also mix it up a bit with the colours. Sometimes for forest or jungle themed bases I actually dry brush a little green to give it a bit of a tint. It's really experimenting and seeing what works and what doesn't. That's half the fun of it to me lol just trying out what colour combinations work and what don't. Hope that helps answer your question lol

It really does help thanks man. And have you seen the moon stand im working on? Im still tryng to get it right lol.

Zaku on kova luu.

Link it I'll have a look and I'll see if I can give you some pointers

I would really appreciate it man. I started it after seeing your first diorama post. It inspired me to give it a try. It in my wip here.
    http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...s-WIP-s/page20

Zaku on kova luu.

Ok love the start! Looks great. Now you need to bing it out with some paint. Also if you want add some rocks too. I would coat the whole thing with matte black before doing a nice wet brush over with dark grey. When that's dry I would dry brush and stipple a light grey before doing light coats around the edges and ridges with a dry brush of white.

Quote Originally Posted by ommeh View Post
    Ok love the start! Looks great. Now you need to bing it out with some paint. Also if you want add some rocks too. I would coat the whole thing with matte black before doing a nice wet brush over with dark grey. When that's dry I would dry brush and stipple a light grey before doing light coats around the edges and ridges with a dry brush of white.
    Thanks man. Every time i try to add more paint i have to de do the surface to keep that powdery texture. Im not sure if im ready to start over again yet. But if i cant manage to get it to look right here soon ill more than likely do that.

Zaku on kova luu.

Wow. Completely astounded. I've known I wanted to aim for dioramas for a while and this has given me a lot of inspiration. Only thing I'm confused on is the change from the flat black spray coat to the next pick. It's always vastly different and I don't see what you did, maybe I just missed something?

Super Moderator

https://www.facebook.com/Squeesworkbench

Please do not pm me with questions on how to do something hobby related. Just ask in a related thread.

Sorry for being inactive so long. I'll have a new tutorial soon about new Diorama work's I'm doing