Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Diorama 101 Series - A Tutorial on Diorama Builds

I use mostly citadel paints for the diorama and some Tamiya paints. Citadel are nicer for hand painting. My Tamiya paints are for the airbrush lol

Administrator

I was curious if you used Citadel. One day when I attempt a diorama, I'll probably get some of them and try them out.
    "Born to lose, Live to win" - Lemmy Kilmister

Super Moderator

How does the painted masking tape on the trees hold up over time? Like after a year, does the paint crack?

I ask because its an awesome idea, and i have a jungle idea i want to do, and those trees are ideal for it, but not if it's going to break down over time.

Edit* Nevermind, i realize the only masking tape i have left is frogtape which is super tough stuff. Should be fine. Plus it's already green, so it has a nice base color. Grabbed a roll of old thin copper magnet wire that i don't use for wiring since it's not coated :/ and used that instead of the music wire. Might be a cheaper alternative for anyone.

DSC00083.jpg

Still working on the scale, i need it for 1/144. Gotta say, i am loving this tutorial, i think it's the first thread here where i've actually picked up any new tricks. XD

Keep it up Ommeh!
    Last edited by Squee; August 13, 2014 at 2:21 AM.

https://www.facebook.com/Squeesworkbench

Please do not pm me with questions on how to do something hobby related. Just ask in a related thread.

Diorama 101 - Waterfalls - Water

What you need is some baking paper and woodland scenic realistic water and water effects. You can also use clear floor polish and silicon.

What you do with the water effects is streak it along the baking paper. Once it's dry you can then start attaching it to the diorama.

Next you pour the realistic water into the area you want to have water. To stop it from running I used a bead of silicon at the edge.

This is what it looks like when dry

Once the water effect dries you can then remove it from the baking paper and attach accordingly. What I did to create a nice effect was to mix the water effects with some white and streaked it over the top of the water. When attaching it to the rock use some water effects and dab it over the top. Follow with some water effect with white for details.

I also got a paint brush and mixed some more white and water effects and stipple the places around rocks and water to make it look like foam/current or running water. Once that is done your final product should look something like this!

Oh wow that looks awesome. I really like the realistic water stuff.

Zaku on kova luu.
    YOU WANT TO BE MORE THAN JUST A GRUNT? LEARN TO SEE THE BIG PICTURE!
    In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it. -Erwin Rommel
    They're on our right, they're on our left. They're in front of us, they're behind us; they cant get away from us this time -chesty puller
    http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...3-Zaku-s-WIP-s

Administrator

Wow, that is some amazing stuff!
    "Born to lose, Live to win" - Lemmy Kilmister

You know what seeing these tutorials remind me of? Those shows about fancy magic tricks and revealing how they work. I get the same sense of surprise and amazement reading the step-by-steps here. Really wonderful tutorials.
    "Typical. If I had a sense of humor left I might find that funny. I do not, on both accounts."

The bob ross of dioramas. " we'll put a happy little waterfall here" the guy just makes it look so easy.

Zaku on kova luu.
    YOU WANT TO BE MORE THAN JUST A GRUNT? LEARN TO SEE THE BIG PICTURE!
    In the absence of orders, go find something and kill it. -Erwin Rommel
    They're on our right, they're on our left. They're in front of us, they're behind us; they cant get away from us this time -chesty puller
    http://www.gundamforums.com/showthre...3-Zaku-s-WIP-s

lol the process actually is very easy. What i think is hard is having the idea, the concept of how or where to start. I find a lot of people are shocked out easy the process is but where they struggle is grasping the concept or the overall design. This is where planning is VERY important. What I like to do is just sit online and stare at images of landscape that I want to incorporate into my diorama. So for this I spend hours looking on google images till i found a concept that i was happy with or a style of waterfall that i was looking for. This to me would be the best tip I can give, just spend time planning!

Also guys I'm up for suggestions about what you guys want to learn. So please post up questions and I'll do tutorials around that. So for example if someone wants to learn how to do a dessert or wants to learn about rusting or rock faces just post up and I'll go into more detail about it.

I'd like to know how to do a sand dune diorama. I had this idea for one in head wherein it would be the RX-78-2 Gundam half buried in a sand dune from the second compilation movie Soldiers of Sorrow.
    "You see, there's no need to wonder where your god is. Because he's right here! And he's fresh out of mercy!"
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

"Well, what good is being a god if you can't smite some people?"
    - Epsilon Church

Quote Originally Posted by ommeh View Post
    lol the process actually is very easy. What i think is hard is having the idea, the concept of how or where to start. I find a lot of people are shocked out easy the process is but where they struggle is grasping the concept or the overall design. This is where planning is VERY important. What I like to do is just sit online and stare at images of landscape that I want to incorporate into my diorama. So for this I spend hours looking on google images till i found a concept that i was happy with or a style of waterfall that i was looking for. This to me would be the best tip I can give, just spend time planning!
    This is somewhat reassuring. I've wanted to get into diorama building, but have found the idea very intimidating because it seems like a complex, involved process. Your tutorial is helping demystify the process, and for that I thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    I'd like to know how to do a sand dune diorama. I had this idea for one in head wherein it would be the RX-78-2 Gundam half buried in a sand dune from the second compilation movie Soldiers of Sorrow.
    Yeah sure thing! What I'm doing with this diorama is similar but instead of sand it's water but concept is same. When I've done it I'll upload and show you how it's done

Awesome man! Next year, this will be one of my entries in the GBWC.
    "You see, there's no need to wonder where your god is. Because he's right here! And he's fresh out of mercy!"
    -Kirito (SAO Abridged)

"Well, what good is being a god if you can't smite some people?"
    - Epsilon Church

Diorama 101 - Making Mounds or Craters

So here I've done a simple crater of "hill" as a base. The technique I use here can also be used for other applications but this is a foundation to a more grand diorama. This is what I like to call the stepping stone to the larger dioramas.

So here we start with a plastic base. I've used a Warhammer movement tile here for this example.

Next we cut foam or use scrunched up newspaper. You make it so it creates a shape around the base. For me I used lots of triangle wedges and put them in a semi circle. Once you've glued it down you can do what I did and mask over it with masking tape.

Now this is a "ground crater" so I didn't use any plaster. I went and covered it with my 50:50 PVA Glue and Water mixture and covered it with dirt. Just go out to the backyard and dig some up. I don't like to use purchased dirt as it doesn't give any texture. When you go into your back yard and dig up some dirt you'll get some small stones or pebbles even the odd dead wood or plant. Makes it look more "real". Once that is done it should look like this.

Next it's time to add your details. So here i've got some small rocks and piled them together to create some mounds. Use PVA blue to stick it down

In this image I've used some brass mess to create like a fence thing. Also used some resin parts from Warhammer and pipes too. Same thing just glue it down with PVA.

Next is your base coat. I like black cause the ground isn't white and black helps create natural shadows.

Now painting. If you followed my previous step by step then this part is easy. Depending what kinda of colour scheme you go for depends on the paints you use. So for this case I've gone with Wet brush dark brown - Semi wet brush medium brown - Dry brush light brown - Dry brush bone white - Very dry brush white.

Another angle

Now for rocks and pipes etc. Same steps as before but what I do is paint on the dark grey - dry brush light grey - dry brush white.

Top view

Finally I added some grass and we're done! Crater finished!

Now for those who like this idea - You can use a different colour scheme to create a different effect. Bellow I've used a dessert theme to create this.

Last edited by ommeh; November 30, 2014 at 7:25 AM.

Fantastic, once again. I honestly won't be surprised if we suddenly start having more dioramas being shown off here later on. Very, very helpful as always.
    "Typical. If I had a sense of humor left I might find that funny. I do not, on both accounts."