Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

UC timeline and current events.

Have anyone noticed that one of the reasons for establishing UC timeline is completely on course? I am talking about 9 billion people on Earth by UC 0000(2045AD). There is already more than 7 billion and with lifting restrictions in china and better medical care in the 3rd world countries the world population seem to be rising quite fast. Also while now we cant really envision a single world government another World War might unite the most prosperous countries into something like a Federation to keep the poor countries in line.
    I really wouldnt want to live in a UC universe, the amount of people killed in just the OYW is so huge that it kinda makes me think that the people on both sides of the war are totally crazy, continuing to wage war over the decades with huge death tolls while spouting all kinds of stupid crap.

Re: UC timeline and current events.

Don't worry we won't have giant robots since they are the worse military weapon possible
    Last edited by Psyco Diver; July 8, 2014 at 3:17 PM.

Well you might think that now in 2014 but by 2124 or so who knows in which direction the technology would go. After all americans are still building their F-35 even when we all know its not superior to the 4++ generation of planes and that the russian and chinese 5th generation of planes will be better than the overpriced, over-engineered piece of flying scrap F-35 is. And even after it was said that super-carriers like the americans have are really not cost effective or useful in most situations UK, China and Russia are all building new ones. And then there is the tank, really not useful much in the battles of today that seem to be occurring within cities or in places where the advantages of a tank are minimised people are still building and designing new ones.
    Its today in the age of high-precision computer controlled and guided weaponry we think of a giant robot as one big target, however if like in the UC the minovksy particle obscures radio, microwave, infrared and even optical wavelengths then you need a weapon that is able to function in different environments, able to have a high vantage point over the infantry and ground vehicles to use it's weapons more effectively and have a huge psychological impact on troops that are not able to contact their command staff over the radio for orders.

Consider a giant walking machine, towering over the landscape, able to destroy vehicles just by stepping on them. The fear of the infantry man trying to fight such a machine. And since weapon range is limited to line of sight or even less if there is a large concentration of minovsky particles then you can't just exchange artillery strikes from a few kilometres away, you have to get in close and nasty to strike which means having a melee option. Mobile Suit while might not be the best tactical weapon or the best weapon if thinking purely of efficiency however including the fear factor, the ability to be used like strike forces dropped from orbit and able to fight right there and then is a huge advantage in a situation where lines of communication are severely impaired.

All of that depends on the existence of minovsky particles. Without them, any and all giant robots can be taken out by an inexpensive fleet of remote controlled drones, long-range missiles, and GPS-guided artillery.

But I agree, a giant robot is a fearsome machine regardless of how easy of a target it is. You can never discount the psychological impact of it, especially if it's packing weaponry that can shred anything in an open field in seconds.
    "Typical. If I had a sense of humor left I might find that funny. I do not, on both accounts."

I have personally viewed UC as an metaphor for the 20th century, timeperiod in wich we fought mankinds most brutal wars that took lifes of hundreds of millions.
    Zeon /Federation conflict reflects this timeperiod. Also think about the time when og Gundam was released, the late seventies soviets had begun the invasion of Afganistan war in Vietnam was in very recent memory and WW2 had been fought a 2 generations ago.

UC was definitely meant as all that but I am saying that with the constantly rising population the only viable alernative would be the building of such colonies in space. Plus there are many technologies currently in development that could make it a reality. As for minovsky particle, I really am not worried about it, after all considering how many things we have uncovered compared to 50 years ago in particle physics by the year UC 0065(2110AD) we could discover a whole lot of completely new things.
    It just seems plausible and possible that in 30-50 years time several Earth governments could unite to colonise and develop space together to shift the huge populations over to space and Moon maybe even Mars. Sure it wont be as rapid as the UC colonization(9 billion in space in just 50 years) but with a bit of leeway here and there it does seem to be on track.

I don't know, I'm not as positive about humanity's potential as you are. I honestly don't see us ever getting around to building any sort of habitation in space. Too many differences that nobody can put aside, too many opinions that no one is willing to ignore, and too many people who are too selfish.

If the space program was still as active today as it was back during the Moon Landing, then sure, we have a good chance. Right now, it's not even a priority.
    "Typical. If I had a sense of humor left I might find that funny. I do not, on both accounts."

With regards to NASA and space colonies, I'm a huge fan of the idea. The author of the High Frontier (the book which is the source for a good deal of the UC's science) led a research group on the subject at NASA; the changing political landscape ultimately prevented the project from producing anything, but it was a serious effort at NASA for a time, and the Kennedy Space Center still has a small section that gives the public a brief overview of that work. Let's also not forget what NASA managed to achieve in its first decade with the Apollo program (which at its peak was less than 4.5% of the national budget), and even what it has managed to achieve in more recent years with its drastically reduced budget (now less than 0.5% of the US budget). If I was in charge of the US's national budget, the very first thing that I'd do is reduce the military's budget and redistribute those funds to NASA.

NASA is one of the most cost effective and important agencies we have. Not only does NASA give great returns in terms of both human knowledge and spinoff technologies, but the work it did during the Apollo era was inspirational on a level not seen before or since. People poured into the STEM fields as a result of that work eventually leading to all sorts of scientific and technological breakthroughs in the subsequent decades. It gave people scarred by WWII and living in terror due to the Cold War a sense of hope and optimism. It gave writers like Gene Rodenberry (and presumably Tomino) a sense of humanity's potential, which was reflected in their work. If WWII and the Halocaust are emblematic of humanity's potential depravity, then NASA and the space program represent what humans can achieve at their finest.

The original Gundam is a bit weird in that it appears to be inspired by both a cynicism about human nature as a result of the horrors of WWII (represented by Oldtypes, particularly politicians) and by a hopefullness about humanity's latent potential as demonstrated by the Apollo program (represented by Newtypes). Personally, I have complete faith in humanity's potential, but I also know that a small handful of idiots (read: corrupt politicians and greedy businessmen) can prevent and/or delay humanity from fully reaching that potential. After all, all it takes is a few instigators to start massive conflicts. Factor in the military-industrial complex and you have a recipe for neverending war. I'm not afraid of living in the UC; the real world on which it is based is plenty dangerous already. But in the end I do believe that we as species have the potential to become better than we are and reach beyond our current limitations. A properly funded NASA (and increased funding and awareness of science in general) is what we need to unlock that inner potential.

As for the practicality of giant robots, there are already ways of thwarting radar and other detection systems, so it's not too much of a stretch to conceive of a (near) future with technology that mimics the effects of Minovsky particles. The psychological aspect of seeing a giant robot coming at you should also not be discounted. But even given all that, I think that terminator-like robots are more likely to be used in the real world than mobile suits.
    Sieg Zeon!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta-G View Post
    A properly funded NASA (and increased funding and awareness of science in general) is what we need to unlock that inner potential.
    I'll toast to that. As someone who grew up thinking about America as the land of technology and science, this would boost my faith in everything about the world. I've experienced it before where people who have a great interest in science, technology, and even just general sci-fi will influence others to pay attention to them and actually sway them to pursue further. Keep that influence going and something good is bound to happen.

But even given all that, I think that terminator-like robots are more likely to be used in the real world than mobile suits.
    Sadly, this might be true also. We see now how drones are being used more and more in the military. The concept of drone soldiers (which will then lead to AI-controlled human-sized robots) isn't too far-fetched.

Just to be clear I was referring to humanoid combat drones that are remotely controlled by humans, rather than by an AI like Skynet. Although I won't be surprised if some doofus in the future decides to ignore the terminator movies and gives the drones a full fledged combat AI anyway. Humans can be stupid like that.

Here's a couple of fun questions:
    1) How many of you would actually enlist in the military just to pilot a mobile suit?
    2) How many of you would voluntarily immigrate into space if NASA ever constructed proper Island 3 colonies (a pair of O'Neill cylinders)?
    Sieg Zeon!

I agree with Zeta G about giving the military budget to NASA. But stupid people would flip out if we did that, plus politicains can't get any money from coporations since they don't have any assets in space.

You can definatley see each Gundam series being heavily influenced by the time period its made in. 00 is what the late 2000's thought a potiental Earth would look like. Humanity is still immature, we've just barely reached space, national identities and race are still important, lots of shady politics and bullying going on still, yet hopeful enough for us to build something for our long-term investment (The orbital elevators). I think this is the most likely one since the world has given up on space endeavors altogether and still might entrenched in ancient conflicts until 2307.
    Last edited by Powerman293; July 10, 2014 at 3:33 AM.
    Biggest 00 fanboy you'll ever meet.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta-G View Post
    Just to be clear I was referring to humanoid combat drones that are remotely controlled by humans, rather than by an AI like Skynet. Although I won't be surprised if some doofus in the future decides to ignore the terminator movies and gives the drones a full fledged combat AI anyway. Humans can be stupid like that.

Here's a couple of fun questions:
    1) How many of you would actually enlist in the military just to pilot a mobile suit?
    2) How many of you would voluntarily immigrate into space if NASA ever constructed proper Island 3 colonies (a pair of O'Neill cylinders)?

1. I might. Depends on. Would they let me paint it fancy colors? Can't be a real ace unless you have it painted fancy colors. (Jks)

2. I would.

The US may have pretty much given up on space travel, but the world hasn't. Russia still goes into space regularly with their old but reliable designs. They also currently provide space taxi service for the Europeans, Japanese, and what's left of the American space program. Additionally China has independently sent humans into space, and they claim that they are planning on going to the Moon and even Mars, but given the Chinese government whether they will actually go or not is another matter entirely. Finally, there's the private businesses which are looking into providing space travel and even asteroid mining; they're still quite a bit behind NASA, the Russians and the Chinese, but they could conceivably pull it off if they thought the return was high enough (hence the research into the feasibility of mining asteroids).

Again the only group that's pretty much given up on space is the American federal government. But I'd be willing to make the same bet that Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson made on his Startalk radio show/podcast: if China (or some other perceived enemy) looks like they'll get to Mars before the US, the US's competitive streak will cause the government to pour money into NASA in order to beat China to it just as the US did with the Apollo program against the Russians during the Cold War.

Edit: I just realized I forgot to give my answers to my previous questions.

1. Nope. I love the idea of playing with the hardware, but I don't like the idea of inevitably being forced to participate in a war that would only serve to enrich war profiteers and/or satisfy the bloodlust of warmongers.

2. Yes. I wouldn't volunteer to be a part of the first group (let someone else serve as the guinea pig), but once I knew that it was working properly and relatively safe from debris and the sun's radiation, I'd be on the next ship up.
    Last edited by Zeta-G; July 10, 2014 at 4:27 AM. Reason: Typos.
    Sieg Zeon!

I would go to a space colony, tomorrow if there was one.

As for the actual construction then its all politics, as soon as some corporation or government starts to build plans on having people in space even if just to control and oversee the machinery to convert the asteroids into useful materials the other governments with space programs will not sit by idly. They are all going to want to establish a presence plus even with the current treaties of non-militarized space even having people up there already gives them a military advantage. After all to make a weapon in space all you need is to grab an asteroid and let it fall, gravity will do the rest. Plus in the next 20-30 years we are going to see a reduction in traditional manufacturing, robotization and automation of many tasks and as a consequence more and more people will be out of a job and with millions of people that are simply not needed by an Earth-bound economy the governments will face a choice, expand to space or collapse under the socio-economic pressures.

I don't space colonies will happen in the next 100 years, at least on the level Gundam shows, more practical would be Moon colonies and Mars Colonies.

1. Probably not, I'm getting old and have a family on the way, but it would full depend if I felt I was needed for it

2. Again, I'm getting old and have a family on the way along with a close knit family. I would love to but they already said the Mars colony was most likely a one way trip