Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Gundam ZZ and other Gundam titles pulled from Daisuki.

It happened a few days ago. Daisuki released a brief post on their Facebook page that announced that all Gundam series would be pulled by July 4th (about half a week after the announcement was posted). No reason was given and no announcements regarding more Gundam were made at AX (at least none were reported by ANN or Gundam Guy).

Incidentally ANN didn't even bother reporting Daisuki's Facebook announcement (I found out about the removal after the fact via Mechatalk). ANN normally reports whenever Crunchyroll and/or Daisuki announce that they will be pulling shows, so that fans can finish those shows before they're pulled. Given ANN's previous coverage regarding Gundam, I can't say that I'm surprised. These are the same people that whined in their review of the 00 movie about not understanding certain plot points that were clearly explained in the show, even though the reviewer freely admitted that he hadn't even bothered watching all of the series before watching the movie. That's not even getting into their smear attempt during the BEI shutdown to pin it all on Gundam, despite everyone from the BEI president to former employees, who had severed their ties to BEI long before the shutdown, telling them directly that Gundam had never lost any money for BEI; it had merely dropped from being a massive success in the Wing days to being a moderate success with a stable audience, and that shows like ANN's beloved Lucky Star were the ones that had actually bombed and cost BEI money. Needless to say, I'm less than thrilled with ANN's (lack of) coverage on this matter.

Anyway, I hope everyone was able to catch ZZ while it was up. While it wasn't as good as MSG or Zeta overall, it was still a good show. The first 15 or so episodes weren't the greatest but once it got going, it was pretty awesome. Hopefully someone will announce that they've licensed it (and/or some other Gundam show[s]) for physical release at SDCC or Otakon. That would at least explain the short notice for pulling them from Daisuki.
    Sieg Zeon!

Re: Gundam ZZ and other Gundam titles pulled from Daisuki.

I removed the link, but to anyone who wants to watch it, there are sites you can use. Seems to me that us American fans get the short stick when it comes to anime. If it wasn't for non-licensed streams, all we would have is funimation bullshit and such. Mainstream animes only.
    Last edited by Ginga Bishōnen; July 8, 2014 at 3:12 AM.

No links to bootlegs allowed.
    Daisuki is a legal, licensed streaming site.
    Sieg Zeon!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta-G View Post
    No links to bootlegs allowed.
    Daisuki is a legal, licensed streaming site.
    Really? Bandai makes enough money, that's what I always say. I used to only buy box sets, but not anymore. The price of models is too high.

I'm watching ilegal blu-ray rips of ZZ now. Sorry, but I'm not done. I watched Daisuki ZZ and I want to see the story finish. Besides, considering Bandai treats western fans second class I'm sticking it to them. I'm gonna be a fan of your show whether you like it or not. I won't be posting any links but I've been watching blu-ray subs and my god they're goregous.
    Biggest 00 fanboy you'll ever meet.

Oh just remove the f***ing link! I've read enough Zeta-G bitchfest's on bootlegs it makes me wanna rip my eyes out with a corkscrew.

Lord of the 1/144 Corps

Captain of the 1/72 Brigade
    "The Scale of Tragedy"
    Conrad<Kahrys<Shepard<937<Nasir<Malenko<Nathen

Damn.

Here's hoping Gundaminfo puts it back up at least. Eh oh well, finished it ages ago, then saw it again when they put it up, so not too worried personally, sad for those who haven't seen it, while I didn't like it as much as Zeta it was a nice Change of pace. (Not to mention it could swing from funny to utterly depressing at a moments notice)

Super Moderator

Haha, i still have my old chinatown dvd set of ZZ. I bought most of my gundam shows way before they were came to America, so i have no intention of ever paying for that again.

https://www.facebook.com/Squeesworkbench

I am no longer a Moderator despite what the user title says. Please do NOT pm me with questions on how to do something hobby related or with issues with the board. Just ask in a related thread.

I saw ZZ in fansub form. Bummer that Daisuki took it down, as that's probably the easiest way for new fans to see it.
    "It's not a mistake...it's BATTLE DAMAGE!"
    Plamobot's build thread Plamobot's trade thread

Administrator

Alright guys, that's enough talk of bootlegs and illegal copies. I know that most of us are guilty of pirating stuff. Hell even I am. However forum rules due state that topics like these need to be kept to yourselves. Naturally the people that pay their money for legit copies can't stop you from doing what you doing. Just keep it to yourself and don't post about it.
    "Born to lose, Live to win" - Lemmy Kilmister
    https://fb.me/ThWalkersMechHangar

Quote Originally Posted by thwalker13 View Post
    Alright guys, that's enough talk of bootlegs and illegal copies. I know that most of us are guilty of pirating stuff. Hell even I am. However forum rules due state that topics like these need to be kept to yourselves. Naturally the people that pay their money for legit copies can't stop you from doing what you doing. Just keep it to yourself and don't post about it.

Wait what? You can't have this discussion without piracy coming up eventually. And to those who think its because ZZ is going to get a DVD release in the states, well, I guess pigs now fly. Because Bandai has been incompetent for the last few years. The forum rules are essentially saying that we can only say what is legal and we have to sit here and take it.

I don't feel remorseful for watching stuff like ZZ illegally because its Bandai's own fault that they can't provide stuff for us consumers who are willing to pay, in the US. Let alone as an import for decent prices. I can't deal with stupidity and Bandai's treatment of the western gundam fanbase is the stupidest thing I have ever seen. They are essentially being self-destructive of thier own western market, and that's not a good business decision.

I know moral crusades about Piracy is important and stuff but considering there's no new rereleases of streams of most series Gundam as of now, you're basically saying that we can't be Gundam fans until we hope to god Bandai releases something at a decent price or here. I can't do that. I can't sit and wait for a group of incompitent fools to potientally release something that won't screw my wallet over just so I can be a Gundam fan.

Plus, you can always buy the gunpla to support them. Even if you're not into kits, maybe buying it for another member is will be a fine way of rewarding the right division and punishing the idiots in charge of North American distribution.

I was willing to drop money on some of my first Gunpla this month until I heard this Daisuki news and got pissed again. Sorry, Bandai, but you're not getting any of my money until you stop being stupid.
    Last edited by Powerman293; July 8, 2014 at 2:32 PM.

Did any of the Japanese DVD sets include English subs? I know some of the newer BRDs do.
    "It's not a mistake...it's BATTLE DAMAGE!"
    Plamobot's build thread Plamobot's trade thread

Administrator

I know full well that ZZ will never get a English release, or even a Subbed release here in the states. I'm simply stating that talk of illegal copies or downloading is against forum policy. That is all. I can't take a stand like Zeta-G as I'm guilty of illegal downloading, I'm simply stating that it's against the rules.
    "Born to lose, Live to win" - Lemmy Kilmister
    https://fb.me/ThWalkersMechHangar

There was a legal avenue for watching this stuff. If half the people who pirated Gundam had actually supported the official releases, maybe BEI's profit would have been more than negligible in the eyes of Bandai Japan and they wouldn't have shut it down. Hell even with the free, quick, and legal streams of Build Fighters people here boasted about going to piracy sites so they could avoid the measly two minutes or so worth of ads per episode. I mean really, not being willing to sit through two minutes of ads for an otherwise free 24 minute block of entertainment is beyond pathetic.

Quite honestly, if 3D printers were as cheap as DVD burners, I wouldn't be surprised to find Gunpla being casually stolen in the same way that anime and manga are being stolen now. You people are the reason why legitimate fans can't have nice things. Vertical was right to go for a limited premium release for The Origin. Ditto for Bandai with Unicorn and Aniplex USA with pretty much everything they release. Most American "anime fans" are little more than remorseless thieves; even after you tell them why what they're doing is harmful to the industry they claim to love, they continue their immoral behavior. The only way to make a decent profit in such a market is to appeal to the hardcore fans exclusively, Aniplex style.

I hope that this isn't the last we see of Gundam anime stateside, but, with thievery as rampant as it is in the American anime market, I won't be surprised if ZZ turns out to be the end of Gundam getting licensed in the west.

Look, I can understand people having done stupid things like torrenting anime when they were younger and didn't know any better, but, once they've been made aware of the fact that their past behavior was wrong, they have a responsibility to repent and make up for their criminal behavior by deleting the illegal files and supporting the official release. Whether that means buying the DVD/Blu-ray set from the manufacturer or streaming the content from an official streaming service like Crunchyroll, Daisuki, or Gundam.info.
    Sieg Zeon!

I'm leaving this forum. If you're gonna call me crap for trying to be a Gundam fan despite Bandai's stupidity since 2011 then I'm not dealing with you all on this forum anymore.