Welcome to the Gundam Forums.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Craft paints

Craft paints

I had a question on these paints. I tried using them to paint a kit, however, it turned my plastic model into a wooden model. It literally gave it a finish like it was painted on wood or something Is there any techniques I can use, or any products I can mix with these to make them a bit more vibrant and realistic, like model paints?

Here's a picture. See how it has a grainy finish?

Re: Craft paints

Must have a heavy particulate count. (I think that's the right term.) As in, the paint particles are large, leading to a rough finish. If it's a heavy coat, you might be able to smooth it with some fine grit sandpaper. Also, try thinning the craft paints with water next time. I use them for figure painting, and it works out a lot better that way, even though I'm no expert.
    "It's not a mistake...it's BATTLE DAMAGE!"
    Plamobot's build threadPlamobot's trade thread

Administrator

Eww, that's not a very good affect. Having never used any of these paints, I really don't anything about them. But, how thin are they? Maybe thinning them a bit might help? I'm guessing they are water based, so they might be rather thin already.
    "Born to lose, Live to win" - Lemmy Kilmister
    https://fb.me/ThWalkersMechHangar

Quote Originally Posted by Plamobot View Post
    Must have a heavy particulate count. (I think that's the right term.) As in, the paint particles are large, leading to a rough finish. If it's a heavy coat, you might be able to smooth it with some fine grit sandpaper. Also, try thinning the craft paints with water next time. I use them for figure painting, and it works out a lot better that way, even though I'm no expert.
    Yes, i've tried to thin them with water. But it makes my plastic kits look like wood as seen above. I also tried the liquitex medium gloss varnish, but it ends up highlighting the brush strokes and making them more obvious as seen below. I painted the below kit and it turned out like this after applying the liquitex:

See how this one has the below effect after applying the liquitex:

Administrator

Kinda looks like Fiber glass. But yeah I see what you mean about the brush strokes.
    "Born to lose, Live to win" - Lemmy Kilmister
    https://fb.me/ThWalkersMechHangar

Vallejo, man, Vallejo. Have you tried using their darker colors, like gray or black? Those contain no heavy metals in the pigments, and are much easier to work with than craft paints.
    "All art is quite useless." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by thwalker13 View Post
    Eww, that's not a very good affect. Having never used any of these paints, I really don't anything about them. But, how thin are they? Maybe thinning them a bit might help? I'm guessing they are water based, so they might be rather thin already.
    I hear ya on that one. I bought a model kit and painted it with these craft paints and by time I was done, it ended up looking like a WOODEN figure, not a plstic one. It looked horrible and grainy. I've seen people use them, so i'm not sure if this is just how they really look or what. But it turned out awful nevertheless.

They are pretty thick coming out, so I mix them with water and still get the end result. They look more like something that would look good on a flower vase or something more with an easter decoration or something. Really I ended up painting a kit using a gloss yellow craft color and it looked like something I could put outside next to flowers and stuff. It just had that color/feel to it

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Bossguy View Post
    Vallejo, man, Vallejo. Have you tried using their darker colors, like gray or black? Those contain no heavy metals in the pigments, and are much easier to work with than craft paints.
    I hear ya on that one. I will try the vallejos and will be using those. I've been doing some research on them and they don't seem too terrible. Probably the safest bet out of any other paints.

Yeah. Also, I wouldn't worry about cadmium and cobalt in other colors. As long as you don't lick your brush, you'll be fine. You can't inhale them, and the amount absorbed by the skin if the paint gets on you is extremely minimal. You're already working with very small bits.
    "All art is quite useless." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Bossguy View Post
    Yeah. Also, I wouldn't worry about cadmium and cobalt in other colors. As long as you don't lick your brush, you'll be fine. You can't inhale them, and the amount absorbed by the skin if the paint gets on you is extremely minimal. You're already working with very small bits.
    I hear ya on this one. I don't brush lick either. That just kind of gross. I wouldn't do it. I also did buy some protective gloves from rite aid so I use those now even with the craft paints (even though they are safe, I'm not taking any chances).

I just haven't had any luck with those craft paints. They turn my plastic models into wooden ones. I really wanted to like them too, because there's so many to choose from and I already have a decent collection. I just remember that I bought this kit for like $40, painted it with the craft ones, and it looked like a doll when I was done.

Well, that's okay. I probably have over $200 worth of kits and they didn't work out - bad paint jobs, too many pieces broken, etc. It's all part of the process. Just another to add to my "list" Maybe the next one will work out good with the vallejo's.
    Last edited by modelcars87; June 2, 2014 at 3:34 PM.

I can't recommend craft paints. Vallejo, Reaper, Army Painter, Minitaire and Citadel. Craft paints are cheap for a reason.

Super Moderator

^PREACH!

I've tried using them before, i know a guy who swears by them, but i think they're utter *$%( for this hobby. Maybe if you're using them to do small details, but save yourself the headache and buy paints made for modeling. These kinds of paints, are meant for painting on paper, clothe, etc.

Don't even get me started on how easily they scratch.

https://www.facebook.com/Squeesworkbench

I am no longer a Moderator despite what the user title says. Please do NOT pm me with questions on how to do something hobby related or with issues with the board. Just ask in a related thread.

Yep. The only thing I use them for is tiny pilot figures, like Heero from the MG Wing Zero Custom. (And my upcoming Unicorn project, which is going to be painful.) As long as you prime the figures first, thinned craft paints work just fine on super-tiny details like that.
    "It's not a mistake...it's BATTLE DAMAGE!"
    Plamobot's build threadPlamobot's trade thread

I just know after I painted my model kit the other day, it make it look like a wooden doll - literally!

Anyways, I just have some concern after my recent incident with the paints. To be honest, I'm not sure if it was the paint OR the glue I was using. I'm leaning towards the glue, but I really don't know. I know paint thinner has caused me issues before. I know the tamiyas and testors aren't an option, also the glues aren't either -though the vallejos MIGHT be. My concern is getting some type of poisoning from them. I sent an email to vallejo to see what they thought about me using their paints brush-only.

Super Moderator

Now that i think about it, i actually got some of that michael store stuff to work through my airbrush. I used a red one for ceramics on my musha gundam. Held up okay, but definitely needed a coat of gloss over it. I think this is at least 5 years ago.

I took some newer pictures of it about a year ago, it has held up pretty well.

https://www.facebook.com/Squeesworkbench

I am no longer a Moderator despite what the user title says. Please do NOT pm me with questions on how to do something hobby related or with issues with the board. Just ask in a related thread.

the important part about paints is consistency(the ability to get the same results multiple times and multiple batches). Most craft paints don't pt int he QC work need to achieve that consistency and the price reflects it. The brands I mentioned earlier put int he QC aspect that is missing from the craft lines. @modelcars87 The acrylics I mentioned can be thinned with water. Trust me I have been thinning those brands with plain tap water for years. They are airbrush-able if I remember correctly.