Welcome to the Gundam Forums.

View Poll Results: What is your favorite Kaiju film/series?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • The original Gojira/Godzilla.

2 14.29%
  • The Showa series of Godzilla sequels.

0 0%
  • The Heisei series of Godzilla sequels.

4 28.57%
  • The Millenium series of Godzilla sequels.

1 7.14%
  • Tri-Star's Godzilla (aka Zilla and Godzilla in Name Only [GINO]).

4 28.57%
  • Legendary's Godzilla.

1 7.14%
  • The Showa series of Gamera movies.

0 0%
  • The Heisei Gamera Trilogy.

0 0%
  • Gamera the Brave (the only Millenium series Gamera movie).

0 0%
  • The original Mothra movie.

1 7.14%
  • The Heisei Rebirth of Mothra Trilogy.

0 0%
  • Rodan.

0 0%
  • The War of the Gargantuas.

0 0%
  • Atragon.

0 0%
  • Frankenstein Conquers the World.

0 0%
  • King Kong Escapes.

0 0%
  • The Mysterians.

0 0%
  • Space Amoeba.

0 0%
  • Varan the Unbelievable.

0 0%
  • Other (see thread).

1 7.14%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Re: Godzilla, Gamera, and other Kaiju movies.

IDC if it makes sense, I want to see Giant Robots beat up Monsters. If I want deep plot, this type of movie isn't the one I'm gonna be looking for lol.

New Toho Godazilla movie coming in 2016! http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...2-years/.81876

Also in case you missed it, a new Godzilla game is coming out in the West in the summer. Thankfully, it will not be a fighting game.

- - - Updated - - -

The Japanese trailer for the PS3 version.

It's amazing how much better their trailer is for showing off the actual game. It looks more like a spiritual successor to Dreamcast's Godzilla Generations than anything else. That's a good thing. Destroy Tokyo, flatten the JSDF, then top it off by beating the crap out of King Ghidorah. What more could could a Godzilla fan ask for in a game?
    Sieg Zeon!

Virgin here. Can somebody recommend some good Godzilla movies that have English dubs? Doesn't have to be too new, and not too old.

It'll be nice to watch on a weekend night.

The original Godzilla (watch the sub version, Gojira, though; the dubbed version changes half the movie) should be at the top of the list. Following that, watch the Heisei series of sequels, the Heisei series has entertaining movies, tight continuity, and it's from the mid-eighties to mid-nineties so it isn't all that old either. The viewing order of those films are as follows:
    Godzilla 1985 (aka Return of Godzilla),
    Godzilla vs. Biollante,
    Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah,
    Godzilla vs. Mothra (aka Godzilla and Mothra The Battle for Earth),
    Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla II,
    Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla, and
    Godzilla vs. Destoroyah.

If you want a good standalone Godzilla movie that isn't too old watch one of the following:
    Godzilla, Mothra, and King Ghidorah: Giant Monsters All-Out Attack (affectionately known as GMK).
    Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla.

Also for your reference as a Godzilla newbie:
    The Showa series refers to the Godzilla movies made from 1954-1975 (Japanese movies 1-15). Continuity is very loose, and while there are some serious movies (the original chief among them), many of them are just cheesy, lighthearted fun. Godzilla is depicted as a hero for children from the 5th movie on.
    Best movie: Original. Runner up: Mothra vs. Godzilla (Godzilla vs. The Thing). Guilty Pleasure: Godzilla vs Gigan. Worst movie: Godzilla's Revenge (All Monsters Attack).

The Heisei series refers to the Godzilla movies made from 1984-1995 (Japanese movies 16-22). Continuity is tight. Movies vary in tone. The first, second, and final film of the series are serious, the middle four films are a bit more lighthearted and/or cheesy, while still retaining series themes such as Godzilla's right to exist vs government's responsibility to protect the public from Godzilla. Godzilla is depicted as an animal (he's not particularly heroic or villainous; he just does what he does). Ignores events of movies 2-15. Also has the best Godzilla design by far (the design from Biollante would be used until the end of the Heisei series). Finally, the character of Miki Saegusa is present for all Heisei films, with the exception of Return/85, and she also serves as the Heisei series' moral center.
    Best: Godzilla vs. Destoroyah. Runner up: Godzilla vs. Biollante. Guilty Pleasure: Godzilla vs King Ghidorah. Worst: Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla.

The Millenium series refers to the Godzilla movies made from 1999-2004 (Japanese films 23-28). Continuity is non-existent (with the exception of the two Kiryu movies, each Millenium film is in its own timeline). Tone varies from cheesy throwback (Final Wars) to serious (GMK). Godzilla varies from Heroic (Final Wars) to malevolent (GMK) to animal (everything else). Ignores movies 2-22.
    Best: GMK. Runner Up: Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla. Guilty Pleasure: Godzilla Final Wars. Worst: Godzilla vs. Megaguirus.
    Last edited by Zeta-G; December 10, 2014 at 9:33 PM.
    Sieg Zeon!

You really know your stuff. Thanks.

Looks like those stand alone movies are first on the list. Don't want to dedicate myself to watching tight continuity atm.

So, Koichi Kawakita died yesterday evening at 70 years old. RIP
    http://news.tokunation.com/2014/12/1...sed-away-23125

Goddamn it.

RIP.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Shin Starlord View Post
    You really know your stuff. Thanks.

Looks like those stand alone movies are first on the list. Don't want to dedicate myself to watching tight continuity atm.
    Just to be clear: when I say the Heisei movies have tight continuity, I mean by Kaiju movie standards. It's not like Game of Thrones levels of complex or anything. It's more like a season of Buffy in that it doesn't trip over its continuity and that there's a solid progression from entry to entry culminating in the finale. But you can easily follow the overarching plot, even while only watching/enjoying the movies on a casual level.

- - - Updated - - -

Awesome metal version of Godzilla's theme:

I'm not normally a fan of cover/alternative versions of songs, but this guy deserves serious props. He completely nailed the feel of the song despite changing the style in which it was played. I still prefer the original, but this is an awesome variation nonetheless.
    Sieg Zeon!

Stuck behind a damn desk now, finally off the road!!

Nice to see a thread on here like this. I love the big G in all his glory. I even like the old kid versions. I just watch them and remember when I was a kid, getting the T.V. guide and checking for the Saturday afternoon movie hopping and praying the it was a Godzilla movie. They played his movies rather often then. Old channel 38 out of Boston had a creature double feature so sometimes they would show 2 G movies in a row. Heavens doors would open for me those days. I still have the old Shogun Warriors Godzilla from the early 70s and the box he came in. I have since gotten a few dozen more G statues and figures. quick peak at one of my favorates and the pride and joy of my collection.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Zeta g You say that G-V- Mechagodzilla is a runner up, but which one? Mechagodzilla, or Mechagodzilla II, or Toyko S.O.S. I personally like them all and they all kind of work as one long story.

- - - Updated - - -

Quick size reference for you all. He is standing next to a 42 inch T.V. and he is as tall as, but longer than the T.V.

Just gonan say this. Gamera 2: Advent of Legion is THE best kaiju film i've seen... period.
    http://www.gundamforums.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=191916&dateline=14222  50061

SETH ROLLINS IS CHAMP!

Quote Originally Posted by Gundam_Asgard View Post
    Just gonan say this. Gamera 2: Advent of Legion is THE best kaiju film i've seen... period.
    I like all 3 of the new gamera movies. I have them on blur ray and I like how they work together and flow into one another.

Quote Originally Posted by gundammonkey View Post
    Zeta g You say that G-V- Mechagodzilla is a runner up, but which one? Mechagodzilla, or Mechagodzilla II, or Toyko S.O.S. I personally like them all and they all kind of work as one long story.
    I was talking about the fourth Mechagodzilla film, 2002's Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla. Also I was only saying it was the runner up for the Millennium series. If we're talking the franchise as a whole, it's much further down the list.

Additionally, the MechaGodzilla films are not part of one big story. Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla (1974) and Terror of Mechagodzilla (1975) belong to one timeline (the original Showa series), Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla (II) (1993) belongs to a second timeline (the Heisei series), and, lastly, Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla (2002) and Godzilla Tokyo SOS (2003) belong to a third timeline (the Kiryu saga timeline of the Millennium series). I realize this can be confusing for some people since all three timelines recognize the original 1954 Godzilla Showa-era movie as part of their respective timelines (and the Kiryu saga also recognizes some additional non-Godzilla Showa-era movies as part of its timeline).

As for the Heisei Gamera Trilogy, it's great. The third movie isn't as good as some people make it out to be (best Kaiju movie since Gojira!? Pfft.), but all three are awesome movies, nonetheless. As far as the movies working and flowing into each other goes, that's part of Toho's Heisei era in general. The three Heisei series aren't connected to each other, but the Heisei Godzilla movies, Rebirth of Mothra Trilogy, and the Heisei Gamera Trilogy are each composed of multiple interlocking movies, which both flow into one another and feature several recurring cast members, with the end result being kaiju sagas that are greater than the sums of their individual parts. Honestly, the Heisei era is unquestionably the best developed of the three eras (Showa, Heisei, and Millennium).
    Sieg Zeon!

My fault I worded that one wrong. I didn't mean to include the 74' 75' films they were kind stand alone and well lets face it kind of stupid, but I still love them just for that . I was mainly just talking about the Millennium series. Yet I would have to agree with you big time on the Godzilla-V- Megagirus was truly a horrid movie. I had hopes for it when I first got it, seeing how well the other movies were done. I don't know but somebody dropped the ball on that one. Final Wars, how do I start that rant, I love to hate this movie. I love it on one level but then I hate it on others. It was like a bipolar/ADDHD Godzilla movie. I love you, no I hate you, OO look a shinny thing over there....... The fights were rushed and just slapped together. Kind of like "lets have him fight every one, O.K. how do we do this.......aliens", it's always those pesky aliens. Well at least the weren't from planet X this time. But the fight scenes just WOW and the ending WTF really you are going to do the whole "moonbeam and butterflies hippy dippy crap!" Now after we just destroyed half the city and trampled most all major cities IN THE WORLD, now we get all lovey dovey" WTF I mean come on people really. Sorry going off a bit here I will stop you know what I'm talking about. For those of you who don't watch the movie you won't be sorry, and you will all the better for it.

- - - Updated - - -

Zeta: as for your poll. supper sad face what I can't pick more than one?? how can I pick they are all great but as for favorite I would just have to say Godzilla. I don't pick my big G movies by the director I love them all, yes in different ways but they are all equally my favorite. So I don't know how to vote on the poll with out being like a democrat and vote a couple times (humor people, it was just a joke don't freak out)

Here's why I can't truly hate Final Wars: Gigan (he's so cool that he instantly makes any crappy movie less crappy), the more traditional Godzilla design (as opposed to the standard Millennium-era look), Godzilla vs. Zilla (TriStar Godzilla gets what he deserves), and, finally, the Xileans' second leader (I enjoyed how over the top and funny he was). Honestly, if it wasn't for those elements, I'd rate it below Megaguirus, since at least that movie actually tries to be good (Megaguirius's director would later recycle many of its story elements in GAMG with much better results due to better execution). Honestly, many of Final Wars' flaws can be traced back to the director idolizing the 70's Godzilla movies, instead of the early Showa movies or the Heisei movies. I mean don't get me wrong, Hedorah and the Showa Mechagodzilla movies are entertaining, but they are also drowning in cheese. Gigan and (especially) Megalon are not only drowning in cheese but they aren't very well made movies either. On top of that, all of the 70's movies (with the possible exception of Hedorah) are guilty of using way too much stock footage.
    Sieg Zeon!

True about the Xileans leader he was great, and the two girls weren't to hard to look at ether. The destruction of 'zilla was epic! A bit to fast for me I think Godzilla should have really made him pay for what he did to the Godzilla name. As for the 70s movies, as I watch them in an older and some what wiser age you are correct. I think they were more like "hay we have all this left over stock footage, want to see if we can make a Godzilla movie and milk this cash cow?"
    Also I did love that blast Godzilla did when the King whats his name came in from space. The only thing I question is this. Godzilla throws hes most powerful radiation blast at this monster coming in from space to no real effect. But in the end of the fight what did Godzilla use to kill the King? a blast. soooo now it hurts him. Whaaaat?

The 70's movies (as well as Son of Godzilla and Godzilla's Revenge/All Monsters Attack for sure and arguably Destroy All Monsters) were made after Toho decided to change Godzilla into solely being a hero for children, and after the golden age of Japanese Cinema had come to an end as a result of television programs driving down movie ticket sales. The Showa Mechagodzilla duology started to slowly return Godzilla to being more of a threat, but by then it was too little, too late. Between the dumbed down kiddie Godzilla movies and tokusatsu shows like Ultraman and Kamen Rider, the damage had been done. After years of declining sales, Terror of Mechagodzilla ended up being the first Godzilla movie that bombed, ending the Showa era.

Nine years later the Godzilla series was reborn in the form of the Heisei series, which ignored the events all of the Showa era sequels (movies 2-15), and fully restored Godzilla to his original status as a metaphor for nuclear destruction. Even when Heisei Godzilla eventually started being used as a "good guy", he was portrayed as simply the lesser of two evils. This sentiment was captured perfectly when after Godzilla was recreated in Godzilla vs King Ghidorah to defend Japan, the villain, Wilson, laughed and said "Do you think that means you've won? This new Godzilla is unfriendly and he's going to destroy your country. Your country has no future now!" And immediately after defeating King Ghidorah, Godzilla rampaged across the country and, after recognizing him, Godzilla even killed the man who had sent the nuclear sub to revive Godzilla and had mourned for the Godzillasaur in the 40's after the American Navy had fatally wounded it. The Heisei era, while having elements for children, never dumbed itself down like the late sixties and seventies Showa films did. The Heisei series went on to become the most successful of Godzilla's three eras, and it was ended on a high note, only so it could make room for TriStar's (then) upcoming Godzilla (yet another reason to hate that film).

Final Wars aside, the Millennium era would also portray Godzilla as a threat in the same way as the original and the Heisei films had, however, unlike those films, the Millennium era also (mostly) returned to focusing on children as the target audience (see Godzilla suffering the indignity of having his Milkennium films being paired up with Hamtaro). The most successful Millennium films (GMK and to a lesser extant GAMG) coincidentally happened to be the most adult-friendly of the Millennium series. The entire Millennium series also happened to be made after the death of the producer who created Godzilla, so the loss of his influence may have also been a factor in the Millennium series being the least successful of the Godzilla series.
    Last edited by Zeta-G; December 15, 2014 at 7:18 PM. Reason: Clarity.
    Sieg Zeon!